Jun 2, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Shane Battier has been fairly effective in the playoffs – only because the Heat have been very careful about when an how to use him.
Battier barely played against the Bobcats, had a larger role against the smaller Nets and chose his spots wisely against the Pacers.
At 35, Battier is facing the end of his career. He might win another championship this year. He might even play another season or two.
But the end is in sight.
So, what’s next?
The Michigan Democratic Party recently called him to see if he might consider running to replace U.S. Senator Carl Levin, Battier said. He declined
There is likely a wide gap between getting asked asked to consider running and getting asked to run. I would be surprised if the Michigan Democratic Party didn’t inquire with several potential candidates to replace Levin, who announced he was retiring after six terms.
But it’s telling that Battier was even on the radar.
He’s the current Teammate of the Year, and he frequently pops up in surveys about which current player would make the best coach or general manager. If he wants a future in basketball, he has one.
He could aim wider, though.
Battier, who grew up in Michigan before attending Duke, is still widely respected in his home state. He might not be viewed as a politician right now, but his name recognition will open doors if he wants to pursue that route.
Whatever Battier wants to do after retiring, he’s capable of making it happen.
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 9
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Houston Rockets vs. Dallas Mavericks 15