Jun 2, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Stan Van Gundy is the guy ultimately calling the shots, but he needs a general manager who can do more than just handle the day-to-day work in that chair, he needs a partner. Someone he can bounce ideas off of. Someone who can wade through the swamp of back-channel trade ideas and pull out the good ones. A guy who really knows how to do the job.
He’s added two more names to that list. Two guys who have GM experience.
Scott Layden and Jeff Bower are getting a chance, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.
They join Stu Jackson — who has been rumored to be very close to getting the job — and Otis Smith, who was the GM in Orlando (and stood by Van Gundy), so they have a working relationship.
Bower was both the coach at one point and the GM at another for the New Orleans Hornets. He was in a tough position there, working for a bad owner in George Shinn through a rough time, plus he thought the team had to consider trading Chris Paul at a time ownership did not like that idea.
Layden was the GM of the Knicks in the early 2000s, which was not exactly a stellar track record, but there are always extenuating circumstances with the Knicks. Layden had a lot of success in the Jazz organization and is currently an assistant GM with the Spurs.
There is no exact timeline for Van Gundy to make a hire, but he is moving quickly on things so it probably won’t be long.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 18
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17