Report: Lakers to reach out to Larry Brown, Scott Skiles about coaching vacancy. Yes, that Larry Brown.
Jun 2, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
Can you picture Kobe Bryant and Larry Brown getting along as Lakers’ star player and coach? Me neither.
But as part of the Lakers far-reaching coaching search they could speak to those two — in addition to the handful of veterans such as Byron Scott and Alvin Gentry they would already spoke to. That according to Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne report at ESPN:
The Lakers, sources add, have also internally discussed reaching out to Scott Skiles and former NBA championship-winning coach Larry Brown, who has spent the past two seasons in the collegiate game at SMU.
Brown was the coach of the Pistons in 2004, a team that upset the Lakers in the Finals in the last year of the Shaq/Kobe era. He was also the coach of the Allen Iverson led Sixers team that lost to the Lakers in the 2001 Finals. He is the only coach to win an NBA and NCAA title (1988 at Kansas with Danny Manning).
While those two are long shots — neither of those guys fit the Lakers culture — they fit with the Lakers pattern of talking to veteran coaches. So far they have spoken to Scott, Gentry, Kurt Rambis, Mike Dunleavy and Lionel Hollins. The Lakers likely will speak to Derek Fisher as well, but they are not focused on him like Phil Jackson and the Knicks.
The other key here is the Lakers are in no rush to make a decision, as Ramona Shelburne points out on twitter.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 52
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6