Report: Lakers to reach out to Larry Brown, Scott Skiles about coaching vacancy. Yes, that Larry Brown.
Jun 2, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
Can you picture Kobe Bryant and Larry Brown getting along as Lakers’ star player and coach? Me neither.
But as part of the Lakers far-reaching coaching search they could speak to those two — in addition to the handful of veterans such as Byron Scott and Alvin Gentry they would already spoke to. That according to Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne report at ESPN:
The Lakers, sources add, have also internally discussed reaching out to Scott Skiles and former NBA championship-winning coach Larry Brown, who has spent the past two seasons in the collegiate game at SMU.
Brown was the coach of the Pistons in 2004, a team that upset the Lakers in the Finals in the last year of the Shaq/Kobe era. He was also the coach of the Allen Iverson led Sixers team that lost to the Lakers in the 2001 Finals. He is the only coach to win an NBA and NCAA title (1988 at Kansas with Danny Manning).
While those two are long shots — neither of those guys fit the Lakers culture — they fit with the Lakers pattern of talking to veteran coaches. So far they have spoken to Scott, Gentry, Kurt Rambis, Mike Dunleavy and Lionel Hollins. The Lakers likely will speak to Derek Fisher as well, but they are not focused on him like Phil Jackson and the Knicks.
The other key here is the Lakers are in no rush to make a decision, as Ramona Shelburne points out on twitter.
- Hawks cruise to underwhelming Game 1 win over Nets 3
- Kyrie Irving aces, Kevin Love passes first playoff test in Cavaliers win over Celtics 15
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 10
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 19
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10