Jun 2, 2014, 1:41 PM EST
The NBA turned 68 this year, if formally formed just after World War II.
To celebrate that 1946 birth, it will release a limited-edition NBA-branded shoe — the NBA Anniversary 2014. There will only be 1,946 made (see what they did with the tie in there?).
The shoe features colors in the NBA logo (and American Flag — red, white and blue — with 30 stars on the heel commemorate the league’s 30 teams.
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver will autograph the first pair of shoes, which will be auctioned live on June 6. The proceeds will benefit NBA Cares community partners. Personally, I’d pay just to see Adam Silver rock a pair of these shoes (while still in a suit, of course).
These shoes are aimed at the collector. So where do you get them? The NBA Store on Fifth Avenue in New York City, or online at NBAStore.com, NBA’s official WeChat account “nbashoes” in China, NBATienda.com in Mexico, NBAStore.in in India, and NBA Shop in Taipei.
Suggested retail is $119.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 12
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 28
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 20
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16