Jun 2, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT
The NBA turned 68 this year, if formally formed just after World War II.
To celebrate that 1946 birth, it will release a limited-edition NBA-branded shoe — the NBA Anniversary 2014. There will only be 1,946 made (see what they did with the tie in there?).
The shoe features colors in the NBA logo (and American Flag — red, white and blue — with 30 stars on the heel commemorate the league’s 30 teams.
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver will autograph the first pair of shoes, which will be auctioned live on June 6. The proceeds will benefit NBA Cares community partners. Personally, I’d pay just to see Adam Silver rock a pair of these shoes (while still in a suit, of course).
These shoes are aimed at the collector. So where do you get them? The NBA Store on Fifth Avenue in New York City, or online at NBAStore.com, NBA’s official WeChat account “nbashoes” in China, NBATienda.com in Mexico, NBAStore.in in India, and NBA Shop in Taipei.
Suggested retail is $119.
- Ginobili, Duncan, Popovich dance around questions about Spurs’ future 2
- Reports: Stephen Curry to be named MVP Monday 29
- Hawks start hot, finish cold, Wizards take Game 1 on road 104-98. 7
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Preview: Washington Wizards vs. Atlanta Hawks 4
- Adjusting for playoff rotations round two: Watch out for the Wizards 2
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 20
- Chris Paul banks in game winner to lift Clippers past Spurs (VIDEO) 28
- Report: Bulls’ Mike Dunleavy won’t be suspended for Game 1 against Cavaliers 22