Jun 2, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT
The NBA turned 68 this year, if formally formed just after World War II.
To celebrate that 1946 birth, it will release a limited-edition NBA-branded shoe — the NBA Anniversary 2014. There will only be 1,946 made (see what they did with the tie in there?).
The shoe features colors in the NBA logo (and American Flag — red, white and blue — with 30 stars on the heel commemorate the league’s 30 teams.
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver will autograph the first pair of shoes, which will be auctioned live on June 6. The proceeds will benefit NBA Cares community partners. Personally, I’d pay just to see Adam Silver rock a pair of these shoes (while still in a suit, of course).
These shoes are aimed at the collector. So where do you get them? The NBA Store on Fifth Avenue in New York City, or online at NBAStore.com, NBA’s official WeChat account “nbashoes” in China, NBATienda.com in Mexico, NBAStore.in in India, and NBA Shop in Taipei.
Suggested retail is $119.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 0
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 13
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 19
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 9
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19