Donald Sterling attends predominately black church

Jun 2, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT

Donald Sterling flubbed his apology during an interview during a CNN interview.

Since, the Clippers owner – yes, he still holds that title for now – has remained out of the spotlight, letting his lawyers speak for him.

But Sterling showed up in a place that’s surprising only if you ignore his history of buying his way into NAACP dinners and similar efforts to let everyone know how tolerant he is.

ABC 7:

Pastor JB Hardwick personally invited Sterling to attend the church, and says his actions were all about forgiveness.

“Stand up brother Sterling. I’m going to give you a round of applause,” Hardwick said during Sunday’s service. “We love all God’s children, regardless of your race, creed or color, and I want my friend to know we’re praying for you.”

Want to invite Sterling to your church? Seems too focused on publicity to me, though I’m not going to dig into the pastor’s intentions. Want to pray for Sterling? That’s your prerogative. Offering to give Sterling a round of applause? That would make me uncomfortable, though that too is between the pastor and his congregation.

But this type of acceptance of Sterling undermines what should be the principal issue to members of that community.

Don’t legitimize him as someone apologetic about his words until he shows genuine remorse about his harmful actions.

1. timb12 - Jun 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM

I’d invite him just for the tithing. Can you imagine?

• enigma2742 - Jun 4, 2014 at 8:46 PM

HE DIDNT LEAVE ANYTHING HE HATES BLACK PEOPLE

2. bucrightoff - Jun 2, 2014 at 10:16 AM

“See? I’m not a racist, I even go to black churches sometimes”

– Donald Sterling

• zoomy123 - Jun 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM

LOL!

• getlow81 - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Perfect! I can imagine him saying that exact phrase like I’m there!

3. jbaxt - Jun 2, 2014 at 10:36 AM

How has Sterling raised crime?

• unxpexted1 - Jun 2, 2014 at 11:51 AM

normally one of the byproducts of housing discrimination is higher crime rates.

4. bigbenh8tr - Jun 2, 2014 at 10:46 AM

He was invited by the pastor. No surprise a liberal website doesn’t understand Christianity, forgiveness and the power of prayer

• blueintown - Jun 2, 2014 at 10:48 AM

…says the guy with “hate” in his name.

• 00maltliquor - Jun 2, 2014 at 11:57 AM

LOL!!

• condor75 - Jun 2, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Most supposed Christians don’t understand Christianity

5. mattyheisman - Jun 2, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I like how the writer is telling us how,why and when we should accept apologies from people. Funny,I haven’t heard any apologies from Stiviano about her jokes making fun of black people that just came out. You know what,Sterling should be thrown in jail,locked away forever and never forgiven until he donates all his money to minority causes and holds press conferences on his hands and knees. SMH. He was invited and he accepted,big deal

6. ebrownwareagle - Jun 2, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I understand the power of prayer and forgiveness. “IF” you are one of a certain faith. However I also understand History, and selling out for a Payday potential Money Grab. And I’m a Black Man! You gotta do better Pastor. All Money ain’t good money . But I guess who cares in the Name of The Lord.

7. timberwolvesbrisin - Jun 2, 2014 at 11:30 AM

This writer is a snob.

8. campcouch - Jun 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM

“Sterling’s housing discrimination has destroyed lives. It has cost minorities money, raised crime in their neighborhoods and decreased their upward mobility.”

Sorry bub,but you have to enlighten me on this.

• zoomy123 - Jun 2, 2014 at 11:53 AM

How about you go to your local library or search some books on amazon.com about housing discrimination and its effects in urban areas. Why do people who have the ability to educate themselves always demand that other people do it for them?

• historygeek6 - Jun 2, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Because they don’t really care, one way or the other, about things outside their own insular world, enough to invest their time and energy to find out the real truth. …just a momentary distraction. …and excuse to spew.

9. 00maltliquor - Jun 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Say what you want about Sterling but he got balls! lol

• papichulo55 - Jun 2, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Agreed! Now that he is gone, I guess its alright to share a laugh.

His line ‘…ï don’t care what the color of your skin is! Just open up your legs!’, is straight out of the Pimps Handbook Vol1, lol…

10. kspl1 - Jun 2, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Maybe he made a donation to the “ministers vacation”

• loungefly74 - Jun 2, 2014 at 1:59 PM

on the nose. yep. some transaction was made. quid pro quo.

• dadawg77 - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:45 PM

It was the building fund…

11. ebrownwareagle - Jun 2, 2014 at 1:41 PM

@papichulo55

IM a BLACK MAN! And thaaaat My Friend has Become The #1 MAN QUOTE! For Players Everywhere!

12. ranfan12 - Jun 2, 2014 at 4:39 PM

the pastor’s recent sermon must’ve been on racism

13. jollyjoker2 - Jun 2, 2014 at 6:28 PM

2 billion to sloth around. Hey, I will where a chain and bark if it helps.

14. kansacity88 - Jun 3, 2014 at 3:16 AM

Hahahahahaaaa! This story is hilarious!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches