Jun 2, 2014, 10:40 AM EST
Although the Lakers say they won’t consult Kobe on the hire and Kobe has not publicly endorsed a candidate, the Los Angeles superstar still has ways of sharing his viewpoint. I don’t think it’s coincidence this Adrian Wojnarowski article focused on Fisher. Wojnarowski is a longtime Kobe confidant, and the agenda is transparent.
For what it’s worth, the Kobe-Fisher interest sounds mutual.
Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:
There are several roadblocks to Fisher and Kobe living happily ever after in a coach-player relationship.
1. Fisher might not retire. He wasn’t too shabby in the Western Conference finals, and though he’ll turn 40 before next season, he could probably eke out another contract if he wants one.
3. Kobe is hard to coach.
Even if Kobe starts with the best of intentions, he often doesn’t give his coach the benefit of the doubt for long. That wouldn’t bode well for a rookie coach like Fisher – especially because he’s transitioning directly from playing. No matter what Kobe and Fisher think, their relationship would change as Fisher’s job does.
Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and the rest of the Nets veterans made it easy for Jason Kidd. When Kidd repeatedly stumbled early in the season, the Brooklyn players refused to publicly pile on, and that gave Kidd time to get his feet under him. Eventually, he turned to a small-ball lineup, implemented strong schemes with it and won a playoff series.
You think Kobe would show that same patience if Fisher makes mistakes early?
I don’t, but I also didn’t think Garnett and Pierce would, either. Veterans can change their stripes if they desire.
Kobe and Fisher would have a chance to make it work, but I definitely don’t share Fisher’s optimism
Dec 18, 2014, 6:03 PM EST
The Mavs send three players and two picks to Boston.
Dec 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
They don’t want to give up picks.
Dec 18, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
Spurs star made same clutch shot a decade ago against Lakers
Dec 18, 2014, 4:05 PM EST
Down goes Rocky, down goes Rocky
Dec 18, 2014, 3:40 PM EST
Trail Blazers guard just waiting to check into game, when his personal space gets violated
Dec 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EST
The Warriors are +15.8 per 100 when he is on the court. They will miss him.
Dec 18, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
Celtics forward shows up Magic
Dec 18, 2014, 2:28 PM EST
Updated with Lakers’ reported offer
Dec 18, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Trade talks for Celtics point guard heating up
Dec 18, 2014, 12:55 PM EST
Where does this rank among LeBron’s most-lopsided losses?
Dec 18, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
It would be very difficult for the Clippers to find a deal Minnesota would like.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
Plenty of photos and a recap of this week’s launch event from Jordan Brand’s Terminal 23 space in NYC.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:13 AM EST
This would shake up the balance of power in the West.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:21 AM EST
It’s is the ninja turtle time of year.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:12 AM EST
He turned the table on the Clippers and dunked on them.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Don’t worry. He still got off a jumper (which he missed)
Dec 18, 2014, 2:05 AM EST
James Harden and Dwyane Wade broke the 40 point barrier.
Dec 18, 2014, 1:31 AM EST
Another fine defensive moment from James Harden.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:54 AM EST
I can’t wait until the Western Conference playoffs.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:46 PM EST
He walked off under his own power but did not return.
- Report: Celtics and Mavericks agree in principle to Rajon Rondo trade 3
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 6
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 20
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 18
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 5
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 25