Jun 2, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Although the Lakers say they won’t consult Kobe on the hire and Kobe has not publicly endorsed a candidate, the Los Angeles superstar still has ways of sharing his viewpoint. I don’t think it’s coincidence this Adrian Wojnarowski article focused on Fisher. Wojnarowski is a longtime Kobe confidant, and the agenda is transparent.
For what it’s worth, the Kobe-Fisher interest sounds mutual.
Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:
There are several roadblocks to Fisher and Kobe living happily ever after in a coach-player relationship.
1. Fisher might not retire. He wasn’t too shabby in the Western Conference finals, and though he’ll turn 40 before next season, he could probably eke out another contract if he wants one.
3. Kobe is hard to coach.
Even if Kobe starts with the best of intentions, he often doesn’t give his coach the benefit of the doubt for long. That wouldn’t bode well for a rookie coach like Fisher – especially because he’s transitioning directly from playing. No matter what Kobe and Fisher think, their relationship would change as Fisher’s job does.
Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and the rest of the Nets veterans made it easy for Jason Kidd. When Kidd repeatedly stumbled early in the season, the Brooklyn players refused to publicly pile on, and that gave Kidd time to get his feet under him. Eventually, he turned to a small-ball lineup, implemented strong schemes with it and won a playoff series.
You think Kobe would show that same patience if Fisher makes mistakes early?
I don’t, but I also didn’t think Garnett and Pierce would, either. Veterans can change their stripes if they desire.
Kobe and Fisher would have a chance to make it work, but I definitely don’t share Fisher’s optimism
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 6
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3