Jun 2, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Although the Lakers say they won’t consult Kobe on the hire and Kobe has not publicly endorsed a candidate, the Los Angeles superstar still has ways of sharing his viewpoint. I don’t think it’s coincidence this Adrian Wojnarowski article focused on Fisher. Wojnarowski is a longtime Kobe confidant, and the agenda is transparent.
For what it’s worth, the Kobe-Fisher interest sounds mutual.
Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:
There are several roadblocks to Fisher and Kobe living happily ever after in a coach-player relationship.
1. Fisher might not retire. He wasn’t too shabby in the Western Conference finals, and though he’ll turn 40 before next season, he could probably eke out another contract if he wants one.
3. Kobe is hard to coach.
Even if Kobe starts with the best of intentions, he often doesn’t give his coach the benefit of the doubt for long. That wouldn’t bode well for a rookie coach like Fisher – especially because he’s transitioning directly from playing. No matter what Kobe and Fisher think, their relationship would change as Fisher’s job does.
Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and the rest of the Nets veterans made it easy for Jason Kidd. When Kidd repeatedly stumbled early in the season, the Brooklyn players refused to publicly pile on, and that gave Kidd time to get his feet under him. Eventually, he turned to a small-ball lineup, implemented strong schemes with it and won a playoff series.
You think Kobe would show that same patience if Fisher makes mistakes early?
I don’t, but I also didn’t think Garnett and Pierce would, either. Veterans can change their stripes if they desire.
Kobe and Fisher would have a chance to make it work, but I definitely don’t share Fisher’s optimism
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25