Report: Kevin Love in Boston this weekend to ‘see what it’s like’

Jun 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EST

Kevin Love AP

Minnesota Timberwolves star Kevin Love may be traded before the season begins, which is logical when considering reports that he won’t re-sign there in free agency the following summer.

The Celtics are one of many teams rumored to be interested if indeed the Timberwolves decide on that course of action, and despite their current state of rebuilding that may not be of interest to Love initially, Boston has assets in the form of future first round draft picks and young players that would be enticing to Minnesota’s front office.

Love would likely have to agree to sign a max deal in free agency with a new team in order for them to give up anything of significance in exchange for his services, and it’s unclear how he feels about Boston. Read into this what you will, but he’s in town this weekend to check the city out.

From Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe:

Love was seen in Boston Friday hanging out at bars near TD Garden and took a picture with the owner of “The Greatest Bar,” and he also was seen fraternizing with Patriots players. On Saturday, Love walked the streets of the city and took a picture with a thrilled Harvard graduate. A smiling Love was sporting a Team USA Olympic sweater and was holding a beverage cup.

When approached by the Globe at a local hotel, Love said: “I’m sorry man, I can’t do nothing [in terms of talking], I can’t.” …

“I’ve never really spent much time in Boston. I don’t know it too well,” he said in February in New Orleans. “But I think as far as playing there, we love competing against those guys. I think they have a great coach and they have a ton of youngsters that are up-and-comers.”

The Celtics aren’t as immediately desirable as either the Warriors or the Bulls — teams reportedly at the top of Love’s wish list. But if Love believes in Brad Stevens as a head coach, and in Danny Ainge’s ability to build a contender around him from the front office, then Boston may in fact become an appealing destination if a trade, and not free agency, ultimately determines where he’ll play next.

1. jcmeyer10 - Jun 1, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Don’t leave without visiting the North End and Mike’s Pastry. In all seriousness, I have mixed feelings on Boston acquiring him. I suppose it all comes down to the price.

2. therealhtj - Jun 1, 2014 at 5:08 PM

When you write: “Love would likely have to agree to sign a max deal in free agency with a new team in order for them to give up anything of significance in exchange for his services, and it’s unclear how he feels about Boston,” how can that be binding in any form?

Sure he can say he plans on doing that, and whomever trades for him will be able to offer an extra year and more money, but if he’s not feeling it after next season, what’s to stop him from taking off?

• jcmeyer10 - Jun 1, 2014 at 6:05 PM

There’s the 64,000 dollar or 1 million dollar question (depending on generation) and there will be a risk teams not on his top list will have to take.

3. aboogy123456 - Jun 1, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Boston is an amazing city and I’ve had the chance to live there and experience how much fun it can be. I can guarantee that most basketball fans in Boston haven’t even watched Kevin Love play before, since in my experience they only watch their home team (when they are good). I think while it’s a great city, it’s not a big city and therefore not a big market, and how can a beach boy like Kevin Love live in Boston long term?

• bostonian13 - Jun 1, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Boston fans only watch their team when we are winning? Huh? I bet the Garden was sold out more times this season than games in Miami. Also, I believe the celtics are the 4th or 5th most expensive team in the NBA, adding love along with rondo and building a contender would just make it a better market than it already is.

P.S. – you can’t beat the cannolis at Mikes!

• aboogy123456 - Jun 1, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I’ve known many Boston fans who know everything about the Celtics, but nothing about the rest of the league, so I honestly doubt they know who Kevin Love is. And Mike’s is a bit overrated, kind of touristy, but I can’t knock Boston food, just don’t like Mike’s.

• infectorman - Jun 2, 2014 at 8:35 AM

so I honestly think you have severely limited sphere of Boston experience and just like typing out your opinion to have someone read it.

I know many, many Boston fans that not only know who KLove is, but want him here yesterday.

So, there you have it.

THINK before you type

• jcmeyer10 - Jun 1, 2014 at 7:31 PM

My lady and I went to Minneapolis to see the Wolves play the Celtics and went to 15 Celtics games last year. I love the Foshay. I know we may be the exceptions but you can’t say EVERY Celtics fan doesn’t pay attention to the rest of the league.

• antistratfordian - Jun 1, 2014 at 7:55 PM

“how can a beach boy like Kevin Love live in Boston long term?”

Because he’s white, and there’s no better place to be a white basketball star than in Boston.

• duhwighthoward - Jun 2, 2014 at 12:15 AM

I agree the “beach boy” comment was retarded. Looking at Kevin Love’s pale skin, it’s obvious he’s never been to a beach in his life.

However, your remark is so blatantly racist that I just lost the tremendous amount of respect I once had for you.

• antistratfordian - Jun 2, 2014 at 12:39 AM

lol. This is how much I care –><–

See that space between the arrows? It's hard to see cause it's so tiny. But that's how much of a s–t I give.

Besides, the Celtics symbol is a white dude. They're named after white people. They might as well be called the Boston White Guys. It's the perfect place for Kevin Love.

• patfic5 - Jun 2, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Asisnine comments as usual. No clue half the time either….

• antistratfordian - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Oh no, I’ve rankled the sensibilities of a Southerner. Maybe I should care about that, but I just don’t.

• patfic5 - Jun 4, 2014 at 4:33 PM

No. Your insight is wildly off on most posts. Demographically speaking, your idiocy is global.

• antistratfordian - Jun 4, 2014 at 6:33 PM

“Your insight is wildly off.” That’s very persuasive. Next time you notice that my insight is wildly off why don’t you bring it up and we’ll talk about it.

I don’t expect to hear from you any time soon.

• simoneauchristopher5 - Jun 2, 2014 at 1:39 PM

The C’s mascot is a “white dude”? It’s a f**king Leprechaun you moron.

• antistratfordian - Jun 2, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Are you trying to tell us that Leprechauns aren’t white? They’re probably the whitest creatures on the face of the Earth.

Perhaps that’s why the Celtics represent this so-called “Leprechaun” simply by putting some white dude in a vest and hat.

Most other mascots are people inside of costumes – not good ol’ Lucky… he’s just some white guy running around.

4. darrkkomens - Jun 1, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Clearly there is tampering going on behind the scenes

5. thekingdave - Jun 1, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I hope it happens just to see bipolar Laker fans off their meds do another 180 and tell us how terrible Love is a la Dwight and that they never wanted him. The fact it’s the Celtics makes it that much sweeter.

• therealhtj - Jun 1, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Or you could, you know, go another 20 odd years without fielding another contender.

6. beach305 - Jun 1, 2014 at 6:46 PM

It will be interesting to see what teams are willing to pay and give up for him.

7. kingperk123 - Jun 1, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Celtics should go after love.who would I give up lets SEEEEEE

Everybody except

Rondo obviously
    Sully
    Kelly
    Bradley
    bayless

Humphrey’s idk…but yes ill trade JEFF GREEN WITH THE QUICKNESS

• thekingdave - Jun 1, 2014 at 8:02 PM

This isn’t NBA 2K with trade restrictions turned off. They’re not going to just give you Love for a couple of first round picks and Jeff Green.

• simoneauchristopher5 - Jun 2, 2014 at 1:46 PM

No, but the C’s have nine 1st round picks over the next 4 years, so giving up 4 first rd picks, one of them a top 10 pick, and then throw in a good young PF (Sullinger) and most likely Jeff Green, and this deal gets done. I guarantee Minnesota demands a first round pick that the C’s got from Brooklyn. Those picks might end up being gold.

FWIW- I think this deal is already done and it will be announced on draft night. Love spending the weekend in Boston, then “running into” Rondo at the Sox game, WITH his agent also there? The only way that happens is if their has been some agreement in principle in the background. Love also told a Globe reporter that he “can’t talk about anything”….hmmmm

• thesixersbench - Jun 2, 2014 at 11:14 AM

You’re either trolling or sincerely deluded.

8. sawick48 - Jun 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM

HUGE celtics fan for 20+ years……suffered through the radja/barros teams and reveled in the (new) big 3 teams……and i say as a celtics fan and draft fanatic, i really only want love if we have 0 shot at landing vonleh. i think the talent pool of this and upcoming drafts is franchise changing. and theres just not enough proof that love can drastically change a franchise.

now, that said, hes clearly head and shoulders above any other trade option available this offseason. but i just think there are 2-3 guys in this draft that will become all-nba players multiple times, and vonleh is the only one the Cs have a reasonable chance of landing.

i guess i wasted alot of text here to reiterate what jcmeyer said up top…….im torn on the potential move

9. ez0682 - Jun 1, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Celtic why the city is trash the team is trash with no good players at all more like average. An please stop saying that stupid sayin Boston strong aol annoying man. Come to d.c. the wizz will also get is soo y not.

10. j0esixpack - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Why would Love want to come to Boston?

Aside fro the fact that they’ve got one of the brightest young coaches

Aside from the fact that they play in one of the biggest and most lucrative media markets

Aside from the chance to play for a legendary basketball organization

Aside from the fact that the GM has previously reinvigorated a team to go directly from last place to the Championship

Aside from the fact that he’d probably be playing alongside one of the best PGs in the league and his GM has 9 first round draft choices in the next 5 years

Aside from the fact that the team would likely build around him and make him a max contract player

… there’s really no reason. So it’s curious that he’s visiting Boston. It almost sounds like he’s interested in the Celtics for some odd reason.

• duhwighthoward - Jun 2, 2014 at 12:18 AM

for the same reason he wouldn’t want to play for the Lakers. Boy you’re dense.

11. djshnooks - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:30 AM

The Irish rule the world.

• therealhtj - Jun 2, 2014 at 9:39 AM

In alcoholism per capita?

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches