Jun 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
The Celtics are one of many teams rumored to be interested if indeed the Timberwolves decide on that course of action, and despite their current state of rebuilding that may not be of interest to Love initially, Boston has assets in the form of future first round draft picks and young players that would be enticing to Minnesota’s front office.
Love would likely have to agree to sign a max deal in free agency with a new team in order for them to give up anything of significance in exchange for his services, and it’s unclear how he feels about Boston. Read into this what you will, but he’s in town this weekend to check the city out.
Love was seen in Boston Friday hanging out at bars near TD Garden and took a picture with the owner of “The Greatest Bar,” and he also was seen fraternizing with Patriots players. On Saturday, Love walked the streets of the city and took a picture with a thrilled Harvard graduate. A smiling Love was sporting a Team USA Olympic sweater and was holding a beverage cup.
When approached by the Globe at a local hotel, Love said: “I’m sorry man, I can’t do nothing [in terms of talking], I can’t.” …
“I’ve never really spent much time in Boston. I don’t know it too well,” he said in February in New Orleans. “But I think as far as playing there, we love competing against those guys. I think they have a great coach and they have a ton of youngsters that are up-and-comers.”
The Celtics aren’t as immediately desirable as either the Warriors or the Bulls — teams reportedly at the top of Love’s wish list. But if Love believes in Brad Stevens as a head coach, and in Danny Ainge’s ability to build a contender around him from the front office, then Boston may in fact become an appealing destination if a trade, and not free agency, ultimately determines where he’ll play next.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8