Jun 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
The Celtics are one of many teams rumored to be interested if indeed the Timberwolves decide on that course of action, and despite their current state of rebuilding that may not be of interest to Love initially, Boston has assets in the form of future first round draft picks and young players that would be enticing to Minnesota’s front office.
Love would likely have to agree to sign a max deal in free agency with a new team in order for them to give up anything of significance in exchange for his services, and it’s unclear how he feels about Boston. Read into this what you will, but he’s in town this weekend to check the city out.
Love was seen in Boston Friday hanging out at bars near TD Garden and took a picture with the owner of “The Greatest Bar,” and he also was seen fraternizing with Patriots players. On Saturday, Love walked the streets of the city and took a picture with a thrilled Harvard graduate. A smiling Love was sporting a Team USA Olympic sweater and was holding a beverage cup.
When approached by the Globe at a local hotel, Love said: “I’m sorry man, I can’t do nothing [in terms of talking], I can’t.” …
“I’ve never really spent much time in Boston. I don’t know it too well,” he said in February in New Orleans. “But I think as far as playing there, we love competing against those guys. I think they have a great coach and they have a ton of youngsters that are up-and-comers.”
The Celtics aren’t as immediately desirable as either the Warriors or the Bulls — teams reportedly at the top of Love’s wish list. But if Love believes in Brad Stevens as a head coach, and in Danny Ainge’s ability to build a contender around him from the front office, then Boston may in fact become an appealing destination if a trade, and not free agency, ultimately determines where he’ll play next.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 0
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 25
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 28
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85