Kawhi Leonard’s overtime block of Russell Westbrook’s shot (VIDEO)

Jun 1, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Kawhi Leonard opened the Spurs’ series-clinching Game 6 victory emphatically with a dunk over Serge Ibaka, and finished it importantly with this incredible block of a shot from Russell Westbrook late in the overtime session.

Westbrook had been the Thunder’s best player in these playoffs, and rarely is able to be stopped in transition without putting him on the line for two free throws. But Leonard got all ball in blocking this one, and it may have helped seal the win for the Spurs.

Tim Duncan got the baseline jumper to bounce home on the next possession to put his team up three with 20 seconds left, and the Thunder didn’t score the rest of the way.

1. the1nonlyk - Jun 1, 2014 at 12:54 PM

love me some sugar k leonard sweet defensive stops

2. jzone954 - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:13 PM

If I’m the Thunder, I do whatever it takes to get Kevin Love

• apmn - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:24 PM

The biggest mistake the Thunder could make is to blow up that roster trying to get Kevin Love. Their bench needs an upgrade, but the starting five are just fine.

• kb2408 - Jun 1, 2014 at 2:00 PM

I love Love (pun intended) but OKC does not need him. What they need more than anything is a low-post scorer. Not even a star just a big man that can give them 12 pts and 10 boards a gm AND play tough defense. Perk plays some D but he is a liability on offense.

• kb2408 - Jun 1, 2014 at 2:06 PM

And Serge is a jump shot shooter. They need a Z-Bo or an Al Jefferson “type” player. The Thunder are too perimeter oriented. Getting KD to improve down low would also help. He’s almost as tall as Duncan it’s time he develop a post game. Not having one is his only “weakness.”

• trueballs - Jun 1, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Yes that’s what they need, but you won’t find that from a non-star big. A low-post scoring big who averages 12-10 and plays tough D is….Dwight, 2010 Andrew Bynum, Hibbert, Bogut…and maybe Noah if we forget about low-post scoring. And it’s not even that beneficial in today’s NBA.

The Thunder just need some vets. You can’t keep throwing Perry Jones, Lamb, Thabeet, out there in playoff situations. Don’t lose Steven Adams though…he’s as tough and mobile as any big. Good future.

• iritian - Jun 1, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Marcin Gortat is an unrestricted free agent this summer. I think he’s exactly what this team needs down low with Ibaka.

• loubearkane - Jun 1, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Westbrook has to move to the 2

3. robigd - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:28 PM

If the game were played with 2 basketballs, the Thunder would be a dynasty.

4. papichulo55 - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Totally agree @apmn. The Thunder is still a work-in-progress. They are thisclose, and are not looking for answers. They know exactly what they need. Durant knows that he needs to improve his post offense. The team knows that they need to take care of the ball. The coach knows that they need a better half court offense. The GM knows that the bench needs an upgrade. All of these things can get done. Soon.

5. jzone954 - Jun 1, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Love isn’t the type of player who you blow up yours roster and trade all you picks for obviously, but he would be a great addition to them and you can still add bench pieces at the same time. Some time you gott spend a little in the luxury tax if it comes down to it. But OKC needs someone just like love , someone who can stretch the floor AND be a physical presence inside as well.

• kb2408 - Jun 1, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Soooo, OKC needs a player like Love “to stretch the floor” but they already have Russ and KD? How much more can they stretch the floor?

• kavika6 - Jun 1, 2014 at 3:11 PM

They don’t need to add yet another selfish player.

• davidly - Jun 1, 2014 at 3:17 PM

The idea is to bring a big guy out of the lane, the way Atlanta and Miami did Hibbert with Antic and Bosh. That clears it out for guys to drive to the hoop more and lessens those moments when they settle for outside shots and the offense stagnates.

6. jzone954 - Jun 1, 2014 at 2:20 PM

I think if there’s a team that is in need of his services it’s the thunder. They need him to make it back and better pieces added to the bench, forget LA or the Knicks , these teams are no where near ready to even go to the playoffs let alone win it all, if I was Love and Paul Pierce the Thunder would be the team to join , but that’s me

7. jzone954 - Jun 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM

When your big man does it for. The stand point of his man having to come out and defend him it become a match up problem, if I’m Love and I want to win why would NY or LA be the option? Why does everybody have him penciled in to go to one of the two? He is good friends with Westbrook and said he is a top 5 player in the world. All I’m saying is if I want to win now and be in competing for a title for the next couple years, OKC is a place I would think of if I were Love, other wise you’ll be at Minnesota 2.0 if you go to either LA or the Knicks. These teams aren’t competing for a chip for a long time.

8. jzone954 - Jun 1, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I don’t see KD being a down low kid of guy, he’s too light, they have to trade Perkins and a couple picks or something , because if they don’t, then same old story next season and after that

9. gameisours - Jun 1, 2014 at 4:01 PM

If I weren’t rooting for KD, damn I would have probably picked Kawhi. Damn, he’s getting good.

10. borderline1988 - Jun 1, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I’m a big Westbrook fan, but this play is exactly why you’re supposed to know how to finish with your left hand. I doubt Westbrook gets blocked if he’s going right in this situation.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches