Tony Parker out for second half of Game 6 with sore left ankle

May 31, 2014, 9:56 PM EST

San Antonio Spurs v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

A potentially huge development in Game 6 between the Spurs and the Thunder was revealed as the teams were set to start the second half, with Tony Parker being ruled out for the rest of the game due to soreness in his left ankle.

The Thunder were leading 49-42 at the end of the first half, and Parker had scored eight points on 3-of-6 shooting in 19 minutes of action.

Corey Joseph got the third quarter start in Parker’s place.

It’s worth wondering if this decision was made with a potential Game 7 in mind, given the way this series has unfolded with the home teams ultimately pulling away for large margins of victory.

Then again, all season long the Spurs have figured out ways to win when sitting their starters. It’ll be the tallest of tasks in an elimination game on the road against a very good Thunder team, but if anyone can pull it off, it would be this San Antonio team.

1. eugenesaxe1 - May 31, 2014 at 10:20 PM

They lose their star PG, so of course they go and outscore OKC by 17 in the 3rd.

• prokilla - May 31, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Durant is playing w/ twisted ankle…he will feel it more in the next game ( if there is a next game).

• progress2011 - May 31, 2014 at 11:56 PM

More like twisted courage!!!!

That is WestBrooks Team!

He’s the leader with the most courage, in the face of adversity!

Durant disappeared…..No, excuses….GO HOME!

2. bucrightoff - May 31, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Refs doing their thing to get a Game 7. Pretty brutal.

3. Great Caesar's Ghost - May 31, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Gotta admire the Spurs. They built a real dynasty through great drafting, great coaching, and great trades. I have a feeling they’ll be adding a fifth trophy this summer. And let’s face it, when LeBron faced the Spurs without the help of Wade, his Cavs were swept. LBJ knew he needed two other superstars to carry him past the great Spurs and it still took seven games. #Factsarefacts

• finsfan71 - May 31, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Still took seven games? I don’t think the Spurs are bragging that they took the Heat to seven… and lost. But like you say, #Factsarefacts.

• Great Caesar's Ghost - Jun 1, 2014 at 2:05 AM

It was a minor chink in the armor for the Spurs, you’re right. They let the Heat hang around and it bit them. Won’t happen this time. #5Rings

• nfl4days - May 31, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Just like how MJ couldn’t get past the pistons until Scottie Pippen came along. What part of team game do you morons not understand? You can’t name one superstar who won rings alone.

• Great Caesar's Ghost - Jun 1, 2014 at 2:03 AM

MJ didn’t need to team up with Magic Johnson to win a title. What part of #5thRing don’t you understand?

• nfl4days - Jun 1, 2014 at 2:26 AM

You’re so stupid.

• ganksus - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:12 AM

I seem to recall Timmy playing with Robinson and Horry. Besides, why do you have to admire them for that. Lebron was brought onto a team that was smart enough not to take forever to create a dynasty. That’s like saying, you gotta admire that guy who walked to China. He didn’t need to buy a fancy plane or boat ticket. That makes him either cheap or stupid.

4. wallabear - May 31, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Spurs cane’t hang with no Heat. Dey too old, Duncan and Pop lol Three-Peat Heat! Poor KD. He mighta been league MVP, but he like LeKing in Ohio: he never gon’ win The Big Game until he leave town and find new teammates hahaha

• kb2408 - May 31, 2014 at 11:37 PM

We shall see.

• zoomy123 - May 31, 2014 at 11:49 PM

You’re back? Oh my, hell is about to freeze over.

• prokilla - May 31, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Talk is cheap from this point on…..Let the real S hit begin..

• trevor123698 - Jun 1, 2014 at 12:33 AM

they are the gambling favorite you fool

5. Great Caesar's Ghost - May 31, 2014 at 11:37 PM

5th ring, coming up. Sweep City.

• fanofthegame79 - Jun 1, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Heat in 6. They’ll split the first two games in San Antonio, Heat will win both in Miami, Spurs will win game 5 in SA but the Heat will finish them off on their home court in game 6.

6. kb2408 - May 31, 2014 at 11:40 PM

On the road, against arguably the 2nd best team in the league and without Parker. Spurs in 5 or 6. I just hope Tony is good by Thursday.

• finsfan71 - May 31, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Shocking! You’re going against the Heat.

7. kb2408 - May 31, 2014 at 11:56 PM

I bet the majority of Heat “fans” were rooting hard for OKC, though they will never admit it. The Spurs will not beat themselves again this time.

• finsfan71 - Jun 1, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Beat OKC in 2012, beat SA in 2013. Why exactly are the Heat not able to beat SA in 2014?

• nfl4days - Jun 1, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Oh wow, he’s back. Must be pretty boring when you’re team is so irrelevant. You spend more time thinking about the heat than you’re own team lol. A memeber of the original bandwagon calling other fan bases bandwagon. Priceless.

• finsfan71 - Jun 1, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Here’s the prediction of a “knowledgable” fan…
        kb2408 – May 18, 2014 at 6:33 PM
        I initially said Indy in 7, I’m changing that to 6. The Pacers have been mocked, ridiculed and buried for dead for a month now by all the so called experts. As a result this team has a huge chip on their shoulders. They have wanted Miami since last season. The Heat have no answer for Hibbert or West. And even though LBJ and Wade had good games they can not just take over games against Lance and Paul. Those two are going to make Wade and LBJ work for everything they get and they’re both capable of scoring too. I am going to go out on a limb and predict the 27 Wade scored today will be his high for this series. Mark it down.

• kb2408 - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Dude, I don’t care about getting a prediction wrong. A prediction is nothing but an opinion. Why would I care about what a bunch of strangers on a sports blog think about me or my predictions? One prediction I will get right though is Spurs over Heat in 5 or 6.

• kb2408 - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Oh, and thanks for reminding me about one of my predictions…Wade’s high was 27.

• kb2408 - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Sir Charles said the same thing on national television. Heat “fans” are in fact bandwagon fans. I bet you, anti and fins all had given up in gm 6 last season. Had you been at the game, you 3 would’ve been like those other bandwagoners leaving for the exits. Not only that, I bet you you 3 stooges haven’t been Heat “fans” for more than 5 years. I’m done until after the Spurs break your hearts. Then I will be back non-stop to remind you of my prediction. Spurs in 5 or 6.

• nfl4days - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Lol. Claims he doesn’t care. Goes on to leave 3 straight comments. You’re a joke. Either a troll or a flat out moron who continues to waste everyones time with moronic predictions and then cower your way out of them when you get called out about how wrong you are. Pathetic. Have fun thinking about other teams snd their fans while yours sinks to the basement.

• antistratfordian - Jun 1, 2014 at 12:19 AM

The Spurs won’t beat themselves this time, they’ll just lose straight up this time. They were better last year in the playoffs, Miami was worse – and the Heat still won.

• finsfan71 - Jun 1, 2014 at 12:22 AM

Kinda worried. No, not that kb2408 is predicting a Spurs win. Charles Barkley just predicted a Heat win. I wasn’t counting on that.

• antistratfordian - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:14 AM

He’s not going to be the only one. I think many are going to see some of the same things.

The closest San Antonio is ever going to get to beating Miami in a series was Game 6 last season – because this year LeBron and the Heatles are much better.

• kb2408 - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Let’s see how fast you disappear when the Finals are over. He who laughs last, laughs the loudest. Remember that, my friend.

• antistratfordian - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:15 AM

You’ve said that before the Nets series and before the Pacers series. Yet, here I am.

All I know is my predictions have come true, while yours… well, face it, they’re comical.

• kb2408 - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Anti, predict the the winning mega million numbers for me, Mr. All Knowing!! Whatever, dude.

• antistratfordian - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:40 AM

A basketball game isn’t anywhere near as random as the lottery, friend. Cmon now.

Your problem is that your comments are transparently about your hopes and dreams, as opposed to what is likely to happen. Even if all the evidence pointed to the Heat winning in 6, you’d will absolutely say Spurs in 7. This is essentially what you did with the Nets and the Pacers – and basically every series the Heat are in.

If I thought the Heat were going to lose, I would say so, like I did in 2011.

• kavika6 - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:50 AM

“There’s no way the Spurs can beat Miami when they’re the ones not playing well and Miami is cruising.”

Cruising through the D-league. Now it’s time to play a REAL NBA team.

• antistratfordian - Jun 1, 2014 at 1:53 AM

The Heat beat a REAL NBA team last season when they weren’t playing as well as they are now.

What else you got?

• cristren - Jun 1, 2014 at 10:28 AM

For one, I’m a long time Heat fan, and like many of the other Heat fans that I know, we could care less, who the Heat played in the finals, it’s not like the Heat haven’t played the Spurs before, and won, so what’s the big deal? The Heat, is a much deeper team than the Spurs, thank God, the Heat don’t just have to rely on the big 3, their bench players are amazing. Why, on earth, would a team who made it to the playoffs 4 years straight, and won back to back NBA championships fear the Spurs, are you kidding me? So, in other words you lost your bet.

• ganksus - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:15 AM

I wasnt. The Spurs are boring and OKC are children from a backwater ghost town. I wanted the Clippers in a battle of the beaches.

8. mendenhallfumblemachine - Jun 1, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I hope Lebron loses

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches