May 31, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The last season was a particularly rough one for Steve Nash, as the Lakers guard spent the majority of it in rehabilitation simply trying to get his body healthy enough to be able to return to the court in any capacity.
Next year might be similar, at least in terms of wins and losses.
Nash is one of only three players currently signed to guaranteed contracts for next season, and with that much roster uncertainty, it’s tough to envision an immediate return to the status of contender for one of the league’s most storied franchises.
There isn’t even a head coach in place at the moment, but while Kobe Bryant would like some input on the decision this time after two consecutive failed hires, Nash said he’d be fine sitting that conversation out.
Nash, entering his 19th and presumably final season in the fall, said he would not seek out general manager Mitch Kupchak as the Lakers continue to conduct interviews.
“I’m completely happy to have a conversation,” Nash said. “But I’m also fine having nothing to do with it.”
Nash is one of the most honest and genuine players in the game today, even sometimes to a fault. He caught some grief when he admitted he would be returning for the final year of his deal no matter what the situation was where his health was concerned, because he wanted that last $10 million owed to him on his current contract — something anyone in his situation would have done without thinking twice.
The Lakers have interviewed mostly veteran candidates for their head coaching vacancy, which likely means that Mitch Kupchak believes he can overhaul the roster sooner rather than later. No matter which direction the team chooses to go, however, it’s unlikely that Nash, at this stage of his career, will have any involvement in the process. And he’s fine with that.
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 43
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 55
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10