LeBron, on being tapped in the face by Lance Stephenson in Game 6: ‘I have no idea how I restrained’

May 31, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Lance Stephenson was told by Pacers president Larry Bird to knock it off with the non-basketball antics in ad vance of Game 6, but perhaps sensing just how desperate his team’s situation was, Stephenson simply couldn’t help himself.

In addition to committing a flagrant foul on Norris Cole that could have easily been an ejection because of the shot to Cole’s head, Stephenson went up and tapped LeBron James in the face during a dead ball situation, with the obvious intent of trying to cause his opponent to snap.

But just as he did during the ear blowing incident in the previous game, James managed to somehow contain his reaction.

“I don’t know,” James said afterward, when asked how he was able to keep his composure. “I have no idea how I restrained. I don’t know, I guess I just understand what the bigger picture is.

“It was uncalled for, for sure,” James continued. “That was — I don’t know. I’m at a loss of words with that, but it was uncalled for, and I was able to move on from it. I let him know how I felt.”

Udonis Haslem also let Stephenson know how he felt, but with the game so far out of hand, thankfully it never came to that.

Pacers head coach Frank Vogel condemned Stephenson’s actions as being detrimental to the overall effort, saying that “it’s never good to tug on Superman’s cape.”

The Pacers have a big decision to make where Stephenson is concerned this summer. They don’t have the cap space to easily replace his skill set, but there’s no question that the way he’s performed this postseason has made it tough to justify bringing him back on a long-term deal with a large amount of guaranteed dollars attached.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job

Mar 30, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT

Chris Mullin AP

There were rumors he wanted the Sacramento GM job, but George Karl has the power there now.

2. PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near

Mar 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Marco Belinelli, Manu Ginobili Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Marco Belinelli, Manu Ginobili

The top three are Golden State, Cleveland and San Antonio. Would you be shocked if any of them won the title?

3. Knicks are bad everywhere, fire D-League coach

Mar 30, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT

Foot Locker Three-Point Contest Getty Images

Phil Jackson disciple Craig Hodges now coaching Westchester Knicks

4. Michael Jordan played first Bulls "home" game at a high school (video)

Mar 30, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT

Michael Jordan, Dean Smith Michael Jordan, Dean Smith

Jordan made preseason debut at Washington High School, but at one point, it seemed Washington High alum Junior Bridgeman would be the big draw

5. Russell Westbrook dunks on teammate Enes Kanter

Mar 30, 2015, 12:11 PM EDT

Russell Westbtook, Enes Kanter Russell Westbtook, Enes Kanter

D.J. Augustin throws the alley-oop, and two Thunder players go for it. Westbrook won.

6. Texas’ Myles Turner, a likely lottery pick, declares for NBA draft with YouTube video

Mar 30, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT

Texas v Butler Getty Images

Good decision to go pro, poor decision to end video how he did

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches