LeBron, on being tapped in the face by Lance Stephenson in Game 6: ‘I have no idea how I restrained’

May 31, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Lance Stephenson was told by Pacers president Larry Bird to knock it off with the non-basketball antics in ad vance of Game 6, but perhaps sensing just how desperate his team’s situation was, Stephenson simply couldn’t help himself.

In addition to committing a flagrant foul on Norris Cole that could have easily been an ejection because of the shot to Cole’s head, Stephenson went up and tapped LeBron James in the face during a dead ball situation, with the obvious intent of trying to cause his opponent to snap.

But just as he did during the ear blowing incident in the previous game, James managed to somehow contain his reaction.

“I don’t know,” James said afterward, when asked how he was able to keep his composure. “I have no idea how I restrained. I don’t know, I guess I just understand what the bigger picture is.

“It was uncalled for, for sure,” James continued. “That was — I don’t know. I’m at a loss of words with that, but it was uncalled for, and I was able to move on from it. I let him know how I felt.”

Udonis Haslem also let Stephenson know how he felt, but with the game so far out of hand, thankfully it never came to that.

Pacers head coach Frank Vogel condemned Stephenson’s actions as being detrimental to the overall effort, saying that “it’s never good to tug on Superman’s cape.”

The Pacers have a big decision to make where Stephenson is concerned this summer. They don’t have the cap space to easily replace his skill set, but there’s no question that the way he’s performed this postseason has made it tough to justify bringing him back on a long-term deal with a large amount of guaranteed dollars attached.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin

Aug 4, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

He will battle Kyle O’Quinn to backup Robin Lopez.

2. Corey Brewer excited to reunite with Ty Lawson, spark Houston

Aug 4, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets vs Houston Rockets Getty Images

Lawson and Brewer put up impressive offensive numbers together in Denver.

3. Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one

Aug 4, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT

alternate2-details

I’m no fashion critic, but they’re not bad.

4. Andrea Bargnani says he would have played “for free” to prove himself with Nets

Aug 4, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT

Andrea Bargnani AP

Somehow I bet he still cashes his paychecks rather than actually playing for free.

5. Morris twins lawyers seek to send case back to grand jury

Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Phoenix Suns Media Day Getty Images

The Morris twins have denied any involvement, or even knowing the victim.

6. Mavericks’ coach Rick Carlisle says team will err on side of caution with Wesley Matthews return

Aug 4, 2015, 1:05 AM EDT

New York Knicks v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Thinking long-term is the smart approach, the only one the Mavericks should consider

7. Kobe Bryant’s popularity in China knows no bounds

Aug 3, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwzjzdnimmu0mmfiyjq3nwrlytblymy1zja0mgnhnmiw AP

Kobe Bryant is Beatles during the British Invasion level popular in China.

8. Report: Nets doing Earl Clark a favor and waiving him

Aug 3, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Atlanta Hawks- Game One Getty Images

Brooklyn could have easily kept Clark through training camp

9. Jerry Colangelo: Paul George will attend USA Basketball minicamp meeting, won’t play

Aug 3, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Pacers star maintains status as lock for 2016 Olympic roster – if he wants to play

10. Klay Thompson’s brother called up to the White Sox

Aug 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EDT

Chicago White Sox v Kansas City Royals Getty Images

Trayce Thompson gives Thompson family yet another professional athlete

11. LeBron James to attend Team USA minicamp, leave early

Aug 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT

US forward LeBron James celebrates after Getty Images

That’ll keep him a viable candidate for 2016 Olympic roster

12. Report: Mavericks give Salah Mejri fully guaranteed salary

Aug 3, 2015, 5:36 PM EDT

BASKET-EURL-ANADOLU EFES-REAL MADRID Getty Images

Dallas loading up on players. What will roster look like in November?

13. Nancy Lieberman says DeMarcus Cousins happy Kings hired her

Aug 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT

Nancy Lieberman Nancy Lieberman

Will new Sacramento assistant coach improve Cousins’ relationship with George Karl?

14. Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire”

Aug 3, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT

Ray Allen AP

“I didn’t miss it. I realized how much time I missed not being home with my kids.” —Ray Allen on last season

Top 10 NBA Player Searches