LeBron, on being tapped in the face by Lance Stephenson in Game 6: ‘I have no idea how I restrained’

May 31, 2014, 3:30 PM EST

Lance Stephenson was told by Pacers president Larry Bird to knock it off with the non-basketball antics in ad vance of Game 6, but perhaps sensing just how desperate his team’s situation was, Stephenson simply couldn’t help himself.

In addition to committing a flagrant foul on Norris Cole that could have easily been an ejection because of the shot to Cole’s head, Stephenson went up and tapped LeBron James in the face during a dead ball situation, with the obvious intent of trying to cause his opponent to snap.

But just as he did during the ear blowing incident in the previous game, James managed to somehow contain his reaction.

“I don’t know,” James said afterward, when asked how he was able to keep his composure. “I have no idea how I restrained. I don’t know, I guess I just understand what the bigger picture is.

“It was uncalled for, for sure,” James continued. “That was — I don’t know. I’m at a loss of words with that, but it was uncalled for, and I was able to move on from it. I let him know how I felt.”

Udonis Haslem also let Stephenson know how he felt, but with the game so far out of hand, thankfully it never came to that.

Pacers head coach Frank Vogel condemned Stephenson’s actions as being detrimental to the overall effort, saying that “it’s never good to tug on Superman’s cape.”

The Pacers have a big decision to make where Stephenson is concerned this summer. They don’t have the cap space to easily replace his skill set, but there’s no question that the way he’s performed this postseason has made it tough to justify bringing him back on a long-term deal with a large amount of guaranteed dollars attached.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Pistons looking into Norris Cole trade

Jan 27, 2015, 11:33 PM EST

Miami Heat v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Hornets also reportedly had interest in Heat point guard

2. It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest

Jan 27, 2015, 7:23 PM EST

Milwaukee Bucks v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

The best news may be the return to the classic dunk contest format.

3. LaMarcus Aldridge says he’s back for rest of season

Jan 27, 2015, 6:50 PM EST

LaMarcus Aldridge AP

Barring any setbacks with hand injury

4. Paul Pierce on why trash talk is down in league: NBA2K

Jan 27, 2015, 5:15 PM EST

NBA 2K15 promo

My gaming experience suggests you talk a lot of trash to the guy next to you.

5. Wisconsin Governor plans for $220 million in state bonds to help pay for new Milwaukee arena

Jan 27, 2015, 3:30 PM EST

Scott Walker Getty Images

It essentially uses increased jock tax revenue to pay off the bonds.

6. Iman Shumpert mocks his own failed crossover (VIDEO)

Jan 27, 2015, 2:40 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Shumpert dribbled it off his foot against the Thunder, then tweeted the clip.

7. Lakers’ players trying to adjust to Byron Scott’s random rotations

Jan 27, 2015, 1:55 PM EST

Byron Scott AP

Players like a routine, a rhythm to games, and the Lakers are chaos theory.

8. Kobe Bryant uses Super Bowl analogy to describe how he feels about season-ending injury

Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

This is the third consecutive year Bryant has had his season prematurely ended due to injury.

9. Nets coach Lionel Hollins calls idea he doesn’t like advanced stats ‘dumbest thing I’ve ever heard’

Jan 27, 2015, 11:50 AM EST

San Antonio Spurs v Memphis Grizzlies - Game Three Getty Images

Hollins was reportedly not brought back in Memphis because of an aversion to the use of advanced statistics.

10. UPDATE: Knicks, Langston Galloway agree to contract for this season and next

Jan 27, 2015, 11:10 AM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptzmzwflzdg4ntbmzwflndvmowjizjg2oti2nmy3ztk5-e1422370631910

New York doesn’t want to offer Galloway any guaranteed money for next season.

11. Brian Shaw upset with officiating after not getting a call late in loss to Clippers

Jan 27, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

Brian Shaw AP

Matt Barnes intentionally fouled Danilo Gallinari late, and Shaw believes free throws should have been awarded.

Stephen Curry leads NBA MVP race mid-season