May 31, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
That is pretty much the definition of a tepid endorsement.
Lance Stephenson is an unrestricted free agent this summer and the Pacers have to figure out how much to offer him. Stephenson is on top of everyone’s “guys that will get overpaid this summer” list with the feeling some GM will offer him in the ballpark of four years, $40 million. Should that team be the Pacers?
“I mean, I don’t know. That’s for (Indiana president) Larry (Bird), (GM) Kevin (Pritchard) to decide. It would be great, we came into this league together. It would be great for us to continue our journey together. He’s played a huge year this whole season and in this postseason. He’s definitely put pressure on us to make decisions going forward with Lance.”
The conundrum for the Pacers is this: With Stephenson Indiana will be pushing up close to the luxury tax line to keep this core together — the one with chemistry issues the second half of the season, the one that clearly is not better than Miami. However, let Stephenson walk and you lose one of the better shot creators on the team — the shortcomings of George Hill and the inability of Roy Hibbert to create shots for himself will be that much more glaring.
But it sure sounds like if Stephenson isn’t back next season Paul George will be okay with that.
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 3
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2