May 31, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
That is pretty much the definition of a tepid endorsement.
Lance Stephenson is an unrestricted free agent this summer and the Pacers have to figure out how much to offer him. Stephenson is on top of everyone’s “guys that will get overpaid this summer” list with the feeling some GM will offer him in the ballpark of four years, $40 million. Should that team be the Pacers?
“I mean, I don’t know. That’s for (Indiana president) Larry (Bird), (GM) Kevin (Pritchard) to decide. It would be great, we came into this league together. It would be great for us to continue our journey together. He’s played a huge year this whole season and in this postseason. He’s definitely put pressure on us to make decisions going forward with Lance.”
The conundrum for the Pacers is this: With Stephenson Indiana will be pushing up close to the luxury tax line to keep this core together — the one with chemistry issues the second half of the season, the one that clearly is not better than Miami. However, let Stephenson walk and you lose one of the better shot creators on the team — the shortcomings of George Hill and the inability of Roy Hibbert to create shots for himself will be that much more glaring.
But it sure sounds like if Stephenson isn’t back next season Paul George will be okay with that.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 11
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43