May 31, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
That is pretty much the definition of a tepid endorsement.
Lance Stephenson is an unrestricted free agent this summer and the Pacers have to figure out how much to offer him. Stephenson is on top of everyone’s “guys that will get overpaid this summer” list with the feeling some GM will offer him in the ballpark of four years, $40 million. Should that team be the Pacers?
“I mean, I don’t know. That’s for (Indiana president) Larry (Bird), (GM) Kevin (Pritchard) to decide. It would be great, we came into this league together. It would be great for us to continue our journey together. He’s played a huge year this whole season and in this postseason. He’s definitely put pressure on us to make decisions going forward with Lance.”
The conundrum for the Pacers is this: With Stephenson Indiana will be pushing up close to the luxury tax line to keep this core together — the one with chemistry issues the second half of the season, the one that clearly is not better than Miami. However, let Stephenson walk and you lose one of the better shot creators on the team — the shortcomings of George Hill and the inability of Roy Hibbert to create shots for himself will be that much more glaring.
But it sure sounds like if Stephenson isn’t back next season Paul George will be okay with that.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 68
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32