May 30, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
The Pistons announced on Friday the names of three people who will round out Stan Van Gundy’s assistant coaching staff, along with one other person being added who will be employed as a team scout.
But the press release buried the lede.
The names of the new hires won’t be familiar or even recognizable to the most die-hard of Pistons or basketball fans. The name of one departing coach in particular, however, is likely to generate plenty of fan reaction.
From the official release:
Detroit Pistons Head Coach and President of Basketball Operations Stan Van Gundy announced today that the team has named Brendan Malone, Bob Beyer and Charles Klask as assistant coaches and Adam Glessner as a team scout. Per team policy, terms of the contracts were not disclosed. …
The team also announced that assistant coach Henry Bibby, player development coaches Rasheed Wallace and Bernard Smith, advance scout Kamran Sufi and video coordinator Raman Sposato will not be retained.
That’s right: no more Coach Sheed.
It’s fairly common for a new head coach to bring in an entirely new staff that aligns more closely with his vision, while cleaning house in order to instill the feeling of a fresh start. Wallace was primarily working with big men Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond, and was apparently helping them learn more than the best way to score from the low block.
Van Gundy was given the role of president because he’s believed to be competent enough to completely turn the franchise around. But Pistons fans will miss having one of their more beloved former players around, and his enthusiasm on the sidelines will be hard to replace.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9