May 30, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
The Pistons announced on Friday the names of three people who will round out Stan Van Gundy’s assistant coaching staff, along with one other person being added who will be employed as a team scout.
But the press release buried the lede.
The names of the new hires won’t be familiar or even recognizable to the most die-hard of Pistons or basketball fans. The name of one departing coach in particular, however, is likely to generate plenty of fan reaction.
From the official release:
Detroit Pistons Head Coach and President of Basketball Operations Stan Van Gundy announced today that the team has named Brendan Malone, Bob Beyer and Charles Klask as assistant coaches and Adam Glessner as a team scout. Per team policy, terms of the contracts were not disclosed. …
The team also announced that assistant coach Henry Bibby, player development coaches Rasheed Wallace and Bernard Smith, advance scout Kamran Sufi and video coordinator Raman Sposato will not be retained.
That’s right: no more Coach Sheed.
It’s fairly common for a new head coach to bring in an entirely new staff that aligns more closely with his vision, while cleaning house in order to instill the feeling of a fresh start. Wallace was primarily working with big men Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond, and was apparently helping them learn more than the best way to score from the low block.
Van Gundy was given the role of president because he’s believed to be competent enough to completely turn the franchise around. But Pistons fans will miss having one of their more beloved former players around, and his enthusiasm on the sidelines will be hard to replace.
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 7
- Chris Paul banks in game winner to lift Clippers past Spurs (VIDEO) 24
- PBT Extra: Can Clippers build on Game 6 win? 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Derrick Rose got it done on both ends in first round 2
- Hawks eliminate Nets from playoffs with blowout victory in Game 6 9
- PBT Extra: Clash of styles favors Warriors over Grizzlies 4
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Golden State Warriors vs. Memphis Grizzlies 3
- PBT Extra: Bulls have shot to upset Cavaliers 16