May 30, 2014, 12:56 PM EST
There has been poll floating around in the last day, and the results have frequently been repurposed to say “92 percent of Americans hate Donald Sterling.”
That’s almost certainly untrue.
The company said that, out of the people who were familiar with the Los Angeles Clippers’ owner, 92 percent said they disliked him.
“Donald Sterling made these callous statements, and then he has more than doubled down on them since then,” said Gerry Philpott, president and CEO of E-Poll, which said it polled 1,100 people between ages 13 and 49 whose demographics were representative of the U.S. population.
I doubt 92 percent of Americans even know who Donald Sterling is, let alone dislike him. Remember, we’re dealing only those who are familiar with – limiting the sample by some unknown, though I believe significant, degree. Though everyone here knows Sterling, a basketball blog is not representative of the country.
The exact wording of the poll question is unclear, but this suggest it used “dislike.” “Dislike” and “hate” are not synonyms. People dislike many more people than they hate.
The poll is also limited to a certain, younger, demographic. I would suspect a smaller percentage of Americans 50 and over – those who grew up when the country had different racial attitudes – dislike Sterling.
Is Donald Sterling hated by a high percentage of Americans? Probably. Just not that may.
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 0
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 1
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 10
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 12
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 47
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12