Myth: 92 percent of Americans hate Donald Sterling

May 30, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT

Donald Sterling Donald Sterling

There has been poll floating around in the last day, and the results have frequently been repurposed to say “92 percent of Americans hate Donald Sterling.”

That’s almost certainly untrue.

Darren Rovell of ESPN:

The company said that, out of the people who were familiar with the Los Angeles Clippers’ owner, 92 percent said they disliked him.

“Donald Sterling made these callous statements, and then he has more than doubled down on them since then,” said Gerry Philpott, president and CEO of E-Poll, which said it polled 1,100 people between ages 13 and 49 whose demographics were representative of the U.S. population.

I doubt 92 percent of Americans even know who Donald Sterling is, let alone dislike him. Remember, we’re dealing only those who are familiar with – limiting the sample by some unknown, though I believe significant, degree. Though everyone here knows Sterling, a basketball blog is not representative of the country.

The exact wording of the poll question is unclear, but this suggest it used “dislike.” “Dislike” and “hate” are not synonyms. People dislike many more people than they hate.

The poll is also limited to a certain, younger, demographic. I would suspect a smaller percentage of Americans 50 and over – those who grew up when the country had different racial attitudes – dislike Sterling.

Is Donald Sterling hated by a high percentage of Americans? Probably. Just not that may.

1. tampajoey - May 30, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Donald Sterling is an idiot for sure. But he does find sympathy from people sick of the hypocrisy and double-standards.

• RavenzGunnerz - May 30, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Let this be a lesson to all of you racists… your ideas are outdated, out of the main stream, and quick franking frowned up on.

next…

• muathjam21 - May 30, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Quick franking?

• spursareold - May 30, 2014 at 3:29 PM

A hot dog, in the microwave…

2. captainwisdom8888 - May 30, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I don’t want this to sound as if I’m coming to Donald Stirling’s defense, because I’m not. He made his bed and now he has no choice but to lay in it.

In light of this poll, however, I’d like to remind everyone out there that if you think you ACTUALLY know who Donald Stirling is on a human level simply because of this one recent incident…you are mistaken. I know Stirling has a bit of a history of being a prick, and that label can apply to a lot of people out there, but as Barry Bonds once said to a room full of reporters:

“You have all lied, you have all made mistakes, and you should clean your own closet before coming to clean mine.”

Stirling needs to work on being a better person considering he is planted firmly in the public eye, but step down from your own high horse and acknowledge that outside of a few recent news articles…you know absolutely nothing about this man.

• savvybynature - May 30, 2014 at 1:54 PM

He doesn’t have a history of being a prick, he has a history of denying people access to affordable housing because of their race.
      I admit I’m not perfect, but, call me crazy, I think I’m still allowed to condemn racism and racists.
      What’s next, “yeah that Hitler guy was kind of a jerk but I lied to my mom once when I was a kid so who am I to judge”? Seriously?
      Forget that, I’m calling a spade a spade. Sterling sucks and you should have better things to do in life than defend him.

• fanofthegame79 - May 30, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Well said, Savvy!

• redbaronx - May 30, 2014 at 2:40 PM

@captainwisdom8888 – You’re right. We don’t know Sterling personally, therefore we go by what’s in the media and in the courts on him, and if that’s not enough, we can go on his own comments on TV when no one is forcing him to say anything. And guess what? A lot of people out here have been following his actions for years, and not just “a few recent articles”. You may have just been reading a few recent articles!

Bottom line is he’s a racist bigot who has no business owning an NBA team full of African-Americans. If you’re not informed enough to come that conclusion or just don’t get it, then that isn’t “our” problem. That’s YOUR problem.

3. hozay05 - May 30, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Free sterling. He does have mental health issues. He’s gonna kick the bucket soon anyways.

4. captainwisdom8888 - May 30, 2014 at 1:20 PM

* Just remember that if you were judged, and defined entirely by your most regrettable moments for the rest of your days….you wouldn’t think that to be fair at all.

• redbaronx - May 30, 2014 at 2:44 PM

@captainwisdom8888 – If every bigot and racist used that lame excuse of a comment you made for every time they said something, this country would still be stuck in the 1950’s.

• fanofthegame79 - May 30, 2014 at 2:44 PM

It happens all the time and people live with the consequences, Sterling will as well.

• spursareold - May 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I’d somehow find a way to live with it, especially if I had billions of dollars to cushion my fall…

• 00maltliquor - May 31, 2014 at 2:21 AM

@ captainwisdom

Seriously. I’m with you 100% on this comment and your other one right above.

• kavika6 - May 31, 2014 at 3:35 AM

“If every bigot and racist used that lame excuse of a comment you made for every time they said something, this country would still be stuck in the 1950′s.”

If every black player in the league had his private phone calls tapped and were judged on every comment, there wouldn’t be many black players in the NBA.

5. hwatt - May 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM

the slow news days of the nearing offseason are starting to rear their heads…

6. cbking05 - May 30, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Rigged poll …I’m sure there are more than 8% bigots out there that support him…

• bkbell3 - May 30, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Someone needs to explain to me how these small sample polls like 1,100 people is indicative of what 350,000 million people think? You see these kinds of polls all the time and they say they’re correct with in 1-3%. So when did they ever follow up on a small poll by polling a couple of hundred million people to see if such a small sample is actually accurate?

• kavika6 - May 31, 2014 at 3:36 AM

How many people polled were white?

7. kb2408 - May 30, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I doubt if it’s 92% but I’d bet it’s at least 50%. A lot of people, such as myself, are indifferent towards him, and those that share his views. In my eyes he’s just a miserable, old fool. He should be pitied instead of hated. Just goes to show that even a billion dollars can’t buy you peace of mind.

8. rajbais - May 30, 2014 at 1:53 PM

The same goes with the Nielsen ratings system. Do that many people watch “The Good Wife” on CBS??

Do that many people watch anything on ABC??

Likely not. That’s why FOX should carry the NBA when the next contract comes.

9. imnotyourbuddyguy - May 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM

1 Donald Sterling 92
    2 Bernie Madoff 90
    T3 O.J. Simpson 88
    T3 Conrad Murray 88
    5 Justin Bieber 86
    6 Phil Spector 83
    7 Aaron Hernandez 81
    8 Michael Lohan 76
    9 Eliot Spitzer 73
    10 Jon Gosselin 71

LOL Bieber 5th

• 00maltliquor - May 31, 2014 at 2:27 AM

Is that really from the poll? Lol

What has Biever, Gosselin and Lohan done to anyone besides maybe being annoying?

• kavika6 - May 31, 2014 at 3:38 AM

What has Donald Sterling done to anyone?

10. metalhead65 - May 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM

and 90 percent of those people belong to the pc police where you are not allowed to have an opinion that differs from theirs.

• savvybynature - May 30, 2014 at 3:47 PM

No. You are allowed to have ignorant, even racist opinions, AND, other people are allowed to dislike you for it.

11. captainwisdom8888 - May 30, 2014 at 3:14 PM

The scope of Donald Stirling’s character is much more broad and complex than the mere fact that he has, in fact, acted like a racist in the past. We are all entitled to our own snap-judgements and opinions of one another, but in the end we are all human, all imperfect, and we are all completely fallable creatures.

12. thraiderskin - May 30, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I agree with one of the previous comments, I pity him. He is not Hitler, hell, he isn’t even an Old South Klansmen.

13. bux1022 - May 30, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Half of America harbor these views! Though these views maybe equally as ignorant, they just aren’t as stupid to have themselves recorded like the genius that is Donald!

14. bux1022 - May 30, 2014 at 3:41 PM

What wisdom from the captain! Your name should be captain crunch! Do you have the same hat? Lol

15. musketmaniac - May 30, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Even with the scandal I doubt half of Americans have no clue who he is. I just asked my girlfriend, she’s a huge fan of his Vodka.

16. jadaruler - May 30, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I don’t hate Sterling. The Anderson Cooper interview had some nuggets. He may be prejudice and racist, but I would love to talk business with him.

I don’t hate people, but there’s some people out there I wouldn’t help out of a pool if they were drowning.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches