May 30, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Now, if you have even a chance of landing a player of LeBron’s caliber, you pursue it. How seriously you pursue it is based on the player’s ability and your chances of acquiring him.
In this case, there’s no doubt on the former – LeBron is great – but the latter is difficult to pinpoint.
Mike Brown, the recently fired Cleveland coach, had an inside look at the Cavaliers’ thinking, and he leaves little doubt about his perception of their plan.
Brown on The Dan LeBatard Show, as trancribed by Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com:
“I think they will definitely try to make a run at him,” Brown said. “With him being from this area it makes more sense for Cleveland to go after him than any other team besides the Miami Heat.”
When Brown was asked whether he thinks James would consider a return to the city where his NBA career got started, Brown responded by saying, “I don’t know.”
That second question is much more important.
There’s little chance LeBron leaves Miami for Cleveland, period. Those odds shrink exponentially if the Cavaliers don’t show a huge desire to bring back LeBron. Remember, his last tenure in Cleveland ended with Dan Gilbert writing an open letter practically proclaiming the team was better off without LeBron.
I would be shocked if LeBron returns to Cleveland. I am not shocked the Cavaliers plan to pursue him anyway.
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 31
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 19
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 14
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 52
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20