May 30, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Now, if you have even a chance of landing a player of LeBron’s caliber, you pursue it. How seriously you pursue it is based on the player’s ability and your chances of acquiring him.
In this case, there’s no doubt on the former – LeBron is great – but the latter is difficult to pinpoint.
Mike Brown, the recently fired Cleveland coach, had an inside look at the Cavaliers’ thinking, and he leaves little doubt about his perception of their plan.
Brown on The Dan LeBatard Show, as trancribed by Chris Fedor of Cleveland.com:
“I think they will definitely try to make a run at him,” Brown said. “With him being from this area it makes more sense for Cleveland to go after him than any other team besides the Miami Heat.”
When Brown was asked whether he thinks James would consider a return to the city where his NBA career got started, Brown responded by saying, “I don’t know.”
That second question is much more important.
There’s little chance LeBron leaves Miami for Cleveland, period. Those odds shrink exponentially if the Cavaliers don’t show a huge desire to bring back LeBron. Remember, his last tenure in Cleveland ended with Dan Gilbert writing an open letter practically proclaiming the team was better off without LeBron.
I would be shocked if LeBron returns to Cleveland. I am not shocked the Cavaliers plan to pursue him anyway.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2