May 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
Larry Bird talked his share of trash during his NBA years… and he took up Danny Ainge’s share, Dennis Johnson’s share and probably a few other guys as well. He talked a lot.
Stephenson said Bird came down and told him to cut it out, reports the Associated Press.
“He said, `Don’t do it again,”‘ Stephenson said Friday, recalling his talk with Bird. “So I’m not going to do it again.”
Stephenson’s antics have drawn as much attention as his play this series — he has averaged 14.6 points per game on 50 percent shooting (but just 21.6 percent from three), plus 6.2 rebounds and 5.8 assists per game. He has at times been the Pacers best, most aggressive player.
But they are going to need more out of him in Miami Friday night in Game 6 (with the Pacers down 3-2) — in the two games this series in Miami he has taken fewer shots and hit just 37.5 percent of them. He was an average of -11.5 in those two games.
If the Pacers are going to win Game 5 they are going to need “good Lance.”
And that engaged Lance manifests when he does disruptive things like walking into huddles or blowing in ears. Bird and Pacers might want fewer antics, but they need the engaged, energized Lance. Even if it is a little embarrassing.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29