May 30, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
First, Stephenson tried to get a rise out of LeBron James with a smack to the face during a dead ball situation:
And then, he later committed a foul on Norris Cole that could have easily resulted in an ejection given the way Stephenson went straight for Cole’s head — but the play was ultimately ruled a flagrant-one by the officials instead.
The Heat weren’t rattled by Stephenson’s antics, and in fact, it’s likely they played at least some role in Miami running away from the Pacers early, and taking a 26-point lead into the halftime intermission.
But Udonis Haslem was not amused.
One of the league’s few legitimate tough guys had words for Stephenson on the sideline, letting him know in his own way that there would be consequences if Stephenson continued down the path of taking cheap shots at Haslem’s teammates.
“I’m going to f— you up,” Haslem clearly said, followed by either “That’s real” or “I swear,” depending on your current level of lip-reading skills.
Haslem didn’t play at all in the first half, but he may get some run in garbage time if the game remains this out of hand. It’s unlikely he does anything that would earn him a suspension that would carry over into the Finals, but the threat is real, and Stephenson likely knows it.
[Haslem clip via Isaac, Guyism.com]
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 22
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 21
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26