May 30, 2014, 10:31 PM EST
First, Stephenson tried to get a rise out of LeBron James with a smack to the face during a dead ball situation:
And then, he later committed a foul on Norris Cole that could have easily resulted in an ejection given the way Stephenson went straight for Cole’s head — but the play was ultimately ruled a flagrant-one by the officials instead.
The Heat weren’t rattled by Stephenson’s antics, and in fact, it’s likely they played at least some role in Miami running away from the Pacers early, and taking a 26-point lead into the halftime intermission.
But Udonis Haslem was not amused.
One of the league’s few legitimate tough guys had words for Stephenson on the sideline, letting him know in his own way that there would be consequences if Stephenson continued down the path of taking cheap shots at Haslem’s teammates.
“I’m going to f— you up,” Haslem clearly said, followed by either “That’s real” or “I swear,” depending on your current level of lip-reading skills.
Haslem didn’t play at all in the first half, but he may get some run in garbage time if the game remains this out of hand. It’s unlikely he does anything that would earn him a suspension that would carry over into the Finals, but the threat is real, and Stephenson likely knows it.
[Haslem clip via Isaac, Guyism.com]
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 16
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 4
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11