May 30, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
First, Stephenson tried to get a rise out of LeBron James with a smack to the face during a dead ball situation:
And then, he later committed a foul on Norris Cole that could have easily resulted in an ejection given the way Stephenson went straight for Cole’s head — but the play was ultimately ruled a flagrant-one by the officials instead.
The Heat weren’t rattled by Stephenson’s antics, and in fact, it’s likely they played at least some role in Miami running away from the Pacers early, and taking a 26-point lead into the halftime intermission.
But Udonis Haslem was not amused.
One of the league’s few legitimate tough guys had words for Stephenson on the sideline, letting him know in his own way that there would be consequences if Stephenson continued down the path of taking cheap shots at Haslem’s teammates.
“I’m going to f— you up,” Haslem clearly said, followed by either “That’s real” or “I swear,” depending on your current level of lip-reading skills.
Haslem didn’t play at all in the first half, but he may get some run in garbage time if the game remains this out of hand. It’s unlikely he does anything that would earn him a suspension that would carry over into the Finals, but the threat is real, and Stephenson likely knows it.
[Haslem clip via Isaac, Guyism.com]
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 17
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 42
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 23
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 19
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23