May 30, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
First, Stephenson tried to get a rise out of LeBron James with a smack to the face during a dead ball situation:
And then, he later committed a foul on Norris Cole that could have easily resulted in an ejection given the way Stephenson went straight for Cole’s head — but the play was ultimately ruled a flagrant-one by the officials instead.
The Heat weren’t rattled by Stephenson’s antics, and in fact, it’s likely they played at least some role in Miami running away from the Pacers early, and taking a 26-point lead into the halftime intermission.
But Udonis Haslem was not amused.
One of the league’s few legitimate tough guys had words for Stephenson on the sideline, letting him know in his own way that there would be consequences if Stephenson continued down the path of taking cheap shots at Haslem’s teammates.
“I’m going to f— you up,” Haslem clearly said, followed by either “That’s real” or “I swear,” depending on your current level of lip-reading skills.
Haslem didn’t play at all in the first half, but he may get some run in garbage time if the game remains this out of hand. It’s unlikely he does anything that would earn him a suspension that would carry over into the Finals, but the threat is real, and Stephenson likely knows it.
[Haslem clip via Isaac, Guyism.com]
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 0
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 3
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 11
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23