Stephen Curry says he’s still adjusting to Mark Jackson being gone, wants Warriors to keep Klay Thompson

May 29, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT

Golden State’s players thought they had something special — a real locker room chemistry, a team that won 51 games, a team that is both entertaining and on the rise.

Then days into the offseason coach Mark Jackson was let go over the objection of players. Not long after rumors started to come up about the Warriors wanting to get into the Kevin Love trade conversation, and would they give up Klay Thompson to get him?

Through all of it Warriors players have been silent. There were no welcoming tweets for Steve Kerr, something done out of respect for Jackson.

But in accepting the NBA’s 2013-14 Kia Community Assist Season long Award Stephen Curry was in front of the microphones and spoke to CSNBayArea.com’s Monte Poole about this offseason. He clearly misses Jackson.

“He was a sign of stability for me,” Curry said Thursday. “I had three coaches in three years and (Jackson) embodies what I know as good around here with the Warriors, winning and that kind of feel. It was a lot different in my first two years. I love Coach (Keith) Smart and Coach (Don) Nelson, but he embodied winning. And it’s tough to see that end….

“The feeling was how quick things happened after the season was kind of a shock,” he said. “It took some time to respond and react. Obviously, they made a semi-quick hire. As the summer goes on and we remove ourselves from last year and look forward to next year, we’ll be fine.

“It’s just tough. There’s no sugarcoating it. It was a weird, expedited situation that we didn’t see coming. Guys are human and have got to adjust to it and (need) some time to respond. That’s kind of what happened. I think we’ll be fine once we have a clear picture of what’s going on next year.”

Curry also wants Klay Thompson to remain as his backcourt running mate.

“I definitely want him to continue be my backcourt mate and keep pushing,” Curry said, “keep growing together and not to waste the nickname.”

“I love playing with him,” Curry said. “He makes me better. I try to make him better. How much better he’s gotten since Day 1 is kind of scary. He’s such a great two-way player. He hasn’t come anywhere close to hitting the ceiling.”

I understand Curry saying that, but if they need to move Thompson (with David Lee and maybe other small pieces) to get Kevin Love, you pull that trigger. I love Thompson’s game, but Love’s skill set is far more unique and would help Curry win faster. Not that this trade is likely.

As always in professional sports, if the Warriors are winning things will work themselves out, both with Kerr and whatever roster changes may come to Golden State. To paraphrase Daryl Morey, chemistry is a three game winning streak.

But if the Warriors struggle with all the adjustments next year, things are going to get interesting. And everyone is going to be pointing the finger at ownership, not the players.

1. muathjam21 - May 29, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Thompson’s skill is more unique than you’re giving it credit for. You’re talking about a lengthy 6-6, two-way SG that can shoot, create shots for himself, drive and play some damn good defense, all while being only 24-years-old.

The Warriors at the end of of the day have to ask themselves one question: is the difference between David Lee to Kevin Love worth the difference between Klay Thompson and the next SG they bring in? That’s what it boils down to.

2. bronx77 - May 29, 2014 at 8:53 PM

I’d take Thompson over anyone else on their roster. I don’t know why they would give that up. He’s young and everything you want from a starting sg. I’d take him per curry because every time he twists his ankle I think he’s out for the season.

3. innovativethinking87 - May 29, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Wow so pretty much Klay Thompson is better than Kevin Love? Oooook lol

If the wolves called me and wanted Klay for their man Kevin Love id do it easy

4. muathjam21 - May 29, 2014 at 10:09 PM

See – the problem with your logic that you’re just not understanding the scenario. It’s not Thompson for Love straight up. It’s David Lee (who many consider is a poor man’s Love) AND Klay Thompson for Kevin Love. So, once again, the biggest question you have to ask is whether that upgrade at PF is worth the downgrade at SG.

You also have to take into account the chemistry that Curry and Thompson have built up, which isn’t something you can easily replace. This deal would also take away from the Dubs’ bench, and that was one of their biggest problems last year.

Quite honestly, if I’m Bob Myers I’m not offering the Wolves anything more than Lee and Barnes. And that’s not to take anything away from Love, who is a great player, but is just isn’t worth it for GSW.

5. campcouch - May 29, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Kevin Love is a great player,top 5 PF,All-Star but zero playoff appearances. Does he put GS over the top minus Lee and Thompson? I don’t think so. Bogut and Curry will change his dynamics both rebounding and shot attempts. I think the Warriors are fine how they are.

• muathjam21 - May 30, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Let’s say the Dubs trade Lee/Thompson for Love, there lineup would look something like this:

Bogut
      Love
      Barnes/Green
      Iguodala
      Curry

And you’d have some bigger problems with the bench.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches