Lance Stephenson invades Heat huddle, appears to tick off Erik Spoelstra (video)

May 29, 2014, 10:33 AM EST

As the referees reviewed a foul call late in the third quarter of Game 5, Heat coach Erik Spoelstra called Norris Cole toward the bench to offer instruction.

Pacers forward Lance Stephenson joined the conversation, and Spoelstra looked none too pleased.

Invading opponent’s huddles happens – nobody has done it better than Marcin Gortat – but I understand why Spoelstra is upset. Lance is a pest, trying to get under everyone’s skin. Whether that’s blowing in LeBron James’ ear or calling out LeBron publicly, Stephenson is not afraid to toe the line or maybe even cross it right into a discussion between a Miami coach and player.

After the game, LeBron was asked about Stephenson’s antics. Watch how he inflects the word “professionals.”

I don’t really – I mean, I’m just here to play basketball, man. All the extracurricular activities, I don’t really get into. I mean, I’m just trying to win. We need one more game to get the Finals. That’s my only concern.  We put ourselves in a position to win tonight, and as competitors, as PROFESSIONALS, that’s what we are. At the end of the day, we put ourselves in a position to win. All the extra, whatever Lance wants to deal with, I don’t really care about that.

I’ve been impressed how LeBron and Dwyane Wade have answered questions about the Pacers’ ridiculousness with straight faces. You don’t think part of LeBron just wanted to rail on Stephenson for the pain he is? But LeBron and Wade keep taking the high road.

So, I love that very slight emphasis on  “professionals.” Excellently and subtly done, LeBron.

1. bucrightoff - May 29, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Keep trollin, trollin, trollin….

2. azarkhan - May 29, 2014 at 10:48 AM

“What did you think when Lance Stephenson came and blew in your ear?”

Not the kind of question you normally hear in a post-game press conference. LOL

3. asimonetti88 - May 29, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I dig Stephenson’s antics to be honest. The Heat are likely going to win the series, but it’s still fun to watch Lance.

• jimeejohnson - May 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM

You might like Brooklyn, where he’s from, too.

• thesixersbench - May 29, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Absolutely! Lance is exceptionally entertaining. I love larger than life personalities in sports and Lance is a great example of that. Keep on keepin’ on, Lance.

• condor75 - May 29, 2014 at 11:39 AM

if you like watching clowns’, go to the circus, Lance is an idiot

4. fm31970 - May 29, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Aaaaaaaaand here comes a dominating game six from both Wade and James.

• sumkat - May 29, 2014 at 11:03 AM

We’ll see. The Heat obviously should win the series. But if his antics were going to cause a “dominating game”, why didn’t they have such a game in game 5?

• kghane - May 29, 2014 at 11:08 AM

^ I dunno, maybe they didnt dominate cause LeBron nearly fouled out in 13 min worth of play & he only played half the game? Maybe because Paul George had the best 4th quarter of his life?

• jimeejohnson - May 29, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Pacers were the favorite and #1 seed. They should win the series, but…

• sumkat - May 29, 2014 at 11:55 AM

They were the #1 seed, but show me one person on the planet that labeled the Pacers the favorite to win before this series started, and I’ll show you an Indy homer

• daddyghi - May 29, 2014 at 12:58 PM

maybe becasue lebron was sitting on the bench during the home stretch?! come on, man!

5. southbeachtalent - May 29, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Bush league antics.

• sumkat - May 29, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Wrong sport, and wrong definition even if it was the right sport

• ProBasketballPundit - May 29, 2014 at 3:56 PM

How is it the wrong definition? And just because it starts with one sport doesn’t make it exclusive to that sport. Like how football stole field goals from basketball. Don’t see me crying about that.

• sumkat - May 29, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Because basketball doesn’t have “bush leagues”. Could of swore I said htat in the last post

Even if they did, the term “bush league” means to try to injure or intimidate someone physically. (you know, like beaning or spiking a guy, or plowing a catcher nowhere near the ball). Blowing in a guys ear isn’t even close to injuring, or intimidating, anyone

• jimeejohnson - May 29, 2014 at 11:24 AM

“Lil” gw bush-League?

6. holleywood9 - May 29, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Extracuricliar activities is something LBJ doesn’t get into

7. sumkat - May 29, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I thought the blow in the ear was hilarious, not to mention, a good idea. I mean, come on, trash talk? How is that going to get under anyone’s skin? These guys have been playing at the highest level for going on a decade. You aren’t going to say anything they haven’t heard before. A blow in the ear on the other hand, may at least get them thinking “wtf is wrong with this dude” at least for a few seconds

The Heat are going to win this series. The only chance the Pacers ever had of beating them was to come into the series hitting on all cylinders. They didn’t, and they aren’t. They won’t make it out of Miami. But I have no problem with some gamesmanship. It’s not like he’s playing dirty and low bridging guys

8. void96eater - May 29, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Rondo did this too. Look what happened to the Celtics that year.

9. fanofthegame79 - May 29, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Where’s Dexter Pittman?? The Heat should have kept him if only to just commit hard fouls on people like Lance. I used to hate when Rondo did this, too.

10. kghane - May 29, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Reminds me of when Rondo did it back in 2011. Lance is the ultimate troll.

11. jzone954 - May 29, 2014 at 11:12 AM

After ever thing that could be against Miami from foul trouble, to Lebron sitting most of the game, Miami STILL had a chance to tie or win it on the road. I’ll take it…

12. nicofthenorthstar - May 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM

You just love you some el BJ, don’t you.

13. spillz121 - May 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM

They might act like it’s not bothering in the press conference, but u can see the effect it has on them during the game. It’s distracting, and they have reacted to, they have not just ignored it like they might want it to seem. Lance’s energy(not necessarily his antics) change the game last night, and then Paul George took it from there. I found it all very amusing.

14. routerunner - May 29, 2014 at 1:43 PM

This will just motivate Wade to act injured really hard and ride more coattails like an expert next game.

15. roarfrom384 - May 29, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Lebron (like Lance) is a professional flopper. So he is right. He is a professional.

Lance is also doing those little extra things that are not illegal. Who cares?

Lebron joins him on the illegal though (like flopping). Keep being a professional Lebron! We should all strive to be like you!

16. gostlcards5 - May 29, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I would say yes to LBJ taking the high road. Wade, not so much. I liked him as a young player, but his increasing dirty antics during games and other garbage have ruined his reputation for me.

17. cgallegos92 - May 29, 2014 at 3:18 PM

lebron is such a lil p***y i swear and dwade dont even start with that queer.

• packergator - May 29, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Anger and bigotry issues much?

18. uscfan1988 - May 29, 2014 at 7:05 PM

How exactly did Lance’s antics get to LeBron? LeBron being in foul trouble bothered him. Lance is a idiot.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches