May 29, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
They don’t have an NBA team within thousands of miles. They’ll watch anything.
I’m sure that’s not the NBA’s attitude toward Londoners, but the league is still sending them a matchup between a bad, stagnant, depressing team in danger of losing its top player the NBA’s worst team this season.
The Houston Rockets and Minnesota Timberwolves will play at the Mexico City Arena on Nov. 12, as part of NBA Global Games Mexico City 2014. NBA Global Games London 2015 will feature a game between the Milwaukee Bucks and New York Knicks at The O2 on Jan. 15.
The two regular-season games will follow the NBA Global Games preseason games in October that will feature five teams — the Brooklyn Nets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Miami Heat, Sacramento Kings, and San Antonio Spurs — playing a series of games in Brazil, China, Germany, and Turkey.
That should count as a Milwaukee home game. I can’t imagine the NBA would strip New York of a home game over Milwaukee. When the Knicks played the Pistons in London last year, Detroit lost a home game.
If the Timberwolves keep Kevin Love to begin the season, Rockets-Timberwolves should be a fun matchup between two talented teams with playoff aspirations. Hopefully, it goes better than Minnesota’s scheduled game in Mexico City last season.
Again, though the disparity between markets isn’t as large as New York-Milwaukee, this should give the Timberwolves one fewer home game.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 8
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31