May 29, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
They don’t have an NBA team within thousands of miles. They’ll watch anything.
I’m sure that’s not the NBA’s attitude toward Londoners, but the league is still sending them a matchup between a bad, stagnant, depressing team in danger of losing its top player the NBA’s worst team this season.
The Houston Rockets and Minnesota Timberwolves will play at the Mexico City Arena on Nov. 12, as part of NBA Global Games Mexico City 2014. NBA Global Games London 2015 will feature a game between the Milwaukee Bucks and New York Knicks at The O2 on Jan. 15.
The two regular-season games will follow the NBA Global Games preseason games in October that will feature five teams — the Brooklyn Nets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Miami Heat, Sacramento Kings, and San Antonio Spurs — playing a series of games in Brazil, China, Germany, and Turkey.
That should count as a Milwaukee home game. I can’t imagine the NBA would strip New York of a home game over Milwaukee. When the Knicks played the Pistons in London last year, Detroit lost a home game.
If the Timberwolves keep Kevin Love to begin the season, Rockets-Timberwolves should be a fun matchup between two talented teams with playoff aspirations. Hopefully, it goes better than Minnesota’s scheduled game in Mexico City last season.
Again, though the disparity between markets isn’t as large as New York-Milwaukee, this should give the Timberwolves one fewer home game.
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 0
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 6
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 21
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6