May 29, 2014, 9:25 AM EST
They don’t have an NBA team within thousands of miles. They’ll watch anything.
I’m sure that’s not the NBA’s attitude toward Londoners, but the league is still sending them a matchup between a bad, stagnant, depressing team in danger of losing its top player the NBA’s worst team this season.
The Houston Rockets and Minnesota Timberwolves will play at the Mexico City Arena on Nov. 12, as part of NBA Global Games Mexico City 2014. NBA Global Games London 2015 will feature a game between the Milwaukee Bucks and New York Knicks at The O2 on Jan. 15.
The two regular-season games will follow the NBA Global Games preseason games in October that will feature five teams — the Brooklyn Nets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Miami Heat, Sacramento Kings, and San Antonio Spurs — playing a series of games in Brazil, China, Germany, and Turkey.
That should count as a Milwaukee home game. I can’t imagine the NBA would strip New York of a home game over Milwaukee. When the Knicks played the Pistons in London last year, Detroit lost a home game.
If the Timberwolves keep Kevin Love to begin the season, Rockets-Timberwolves should be a fun matchup between two talented teams with playoff aspirations. Hopefully, it goes better than Minnesota’s scheduled game in Mexico City last season.
Again, though the disparity between markets isn’t as large as New York-Milwaukee, this should give the Timberwolves one fewer home game.
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 11
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13