May 29, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
They don’t have an NBA team within thousands of miles. They’ll watch anything.
I’m sure that’s not the NBA’s attitude toward Londoners, but the league is still sending them a matchup between a bad, stagnant, depressing team in danger of losing its top player the NBA’s worst team this season.
The Houston Rockets and Minnesota Timberwolves will play at the Mexico City Arena on Nov. 12, as part of NBA Global Games Mexico City 2014. NBA Global Games London 2015 will feature a game between the Milwaukee Bucks and New York Knicks at The O2 on Jan. 15.
The two regular-season games will follow the NBA Global Games preseason games in October that will feature five teams — the Brooklyn Nets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Miami Heat, Sacramento Kings, and San Antonio Spurs — playing a series of games in Brazil, China, Germany, and Turkey.
That should count as a Milwaukee home game. I can’t imagine the NBA would strip New York of a home game over Milwaukee. When the Knicks played the Pistons in London last year, Detroit lost a home game.
If the Timberwolves keep Kevin Love to begin the season, Rockets-Timberwolves should be a fun matchup between two talented teams with playoff aspirations. Hopefully, it goes better than Minnesota’s scheduled game in Mexico City last season.
Again, though the disparity between markets isn’t as large as New York-Milwaukee, this should give the Timberwolves one fewer home game.
- LeBron’s big night helps Cavs recover to tie series with Bulls 8
- Chris Paul out Game 2 against Rockets 1
- Report: Bulls’ Jimmy Butler wins Most Improved Player 5
- PBT Extra: Mike Conley changes series, but Warriors will start to hit shots again 4
- Last summer Blake Griffin talked to Tim Duncan about leadership 7
- PBT Extra: Will anyone step up and be third scorer for Cavaliers in Game 2? 19
- Doc Rivers on whether Chris Paul plays in Game 2 vs. Rockets: ‘Right now, I just don’t think so’ 4
- Tony ‘First Team All-Defense’ Allen and Mike ‘Masked Assassin’ Conley lead Grizzlies to Game 2 win over Warriors 18