May 29, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
But Simmons doesn’t hold a top pick in the draft. The scouts don’t necessarily hold a top pick in the draft. And Embiid doesn’t hold a top pick in the draft.
So, their opinions matter only so much.
Billy McKinney’s carries a little more weight. He’s the director of scouting for the Bucks, who have the No. 2 pick.
Andrew Gruman of FOX Sports Wisconsin:
You know what’s cooler than going No. 2? Going No. 1.
That’s why Embiid will grant Cleveland a physical.
The Cavaliers will visit with former Kansas center Joel Embiid sometime in the coming weeks and conduct a physical, a source told ESPN.
Embiid won’t visit another team until the Cavaliers are given a chance to determine if they will select Embiid with the top pick in the NBA draft on June 26.
Embiid looking good in physical is an important step given how his freshman year at Kansas ended. He needed to overcome his injury in the short term.
More importantly: How much more likely is Embiid to suffer another back injury than other players? That’s the question teams considering drafting him must answer. They don’t want him for the present as much as the future.
More in-depth medical tests, like Cleveland is conducting, will help answer. But it’s still an inexact science, and Embiid’s back should continue to be a topic of discussion for the Cavaliers, Bucks, 76ers, Magic or any other team near the top of the draft – no matter how good Embiid looks in workouts.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20