Wade on being a factor in LeBron’s decision whether or not to stay in Miami: ‘Just don’t solely put it on me’
May 28, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
The current version of the Miami Heat were wisely constructed in more ways than one.
Not only was the teaming of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh a successful one in terms of winning NBA championships, but it also was done with a finite lifespan in mind, in order to give the franchise as much future flexibility as possible in order to rebuild, should the trio of All-Stars choose to terminate their deals this summer and go elsewhere in free agency.
Right now, in the middle of a run that seems destined to reach a fourth straight Finals if nothing else, it would appear unlikely that any of those three players would be interested in breaking things up at the end of this season. But it remains a possibility, and Wade doesn’t want the pressure to be all on him when it comes time for LeBron in particular to make yet another very important decision.
The dynamic James-Wade combination looks fantastic again, Wade’s performance not only has implications for Miami now, it could have consequences on Miami’s future even though Wade said he is not singularly responsible for James’ decision this summer.
But truth is, when James looks at his options and tries to determine which team has the best shot of winning a championship next season and beyond, a healthy Wade makes the Heat’s chances of keeping James.
“Just don’t solely put it on me,” Wade said, laughing. “That’s what I’m saying. Don’t put the X on me. … There’s a lot that goes into, so just don’t say, ‘If Dwyane Wade doesn’t have the year that we’re accustomed to, it’s over.’ “
Wade’s health and effectiveness will certainly be a factor in what LeBron chooses to do, but it’s unlikely to be the deciding one. His relationship with head coach Erik Spoelstra and team president Pat Riley, the stability that provides and the plush lifestyle of the Miami market will all be much tougher to say goodbye to than a teammate with a declining skill set, who could eventually be replaced.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 6
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38