May 28, 2014, 2:55 PM EST
There are front offices around the NBA who LOVE Dante Exum.
He’s the mystery man for most fans and a few front offices — he’s a 6’6” combo guard with a 6’9.5” wingspan, he is quick, has tremendous ball handling skills and a nice Basketball IQ for a guy who will still be 18 at the time of the draft. He can get to the line with the best in this draft. He’s about what could be — a big point guard with passing skills or a two guard who can double as a playmaker. The big negative is his shot — it needs work. Plus he hasn’t been sharpened against the same level of competition as the other guys in this draft.
The Sixers, with the No. 3 pick, are one of the teams were Exum has some fans in the front office, except the Sixers already have a tall project of a point guard who needs to improve his shot in Rookie of the Year Michael Carter-Williams.
But the Sixers could take Exum and then move Carter-Williams, an idea they have discussed internally, reports Chad Ford at ESPN ($$, and hat tip Hoopshype).
The Philadelphia 76ers are Exum fans as well, and if Wiggins is off the board, Exum will be in the mix. They think Exum and Carter-Williams could play together in the backcourt, although it would not be a very good shooting tandem. I think the more obvious fit comes if they trade Carter-Williams, an idea I’m told they have bounced around.
Teams bounce around a lot of ideas, I would say don’t bet on this one.
Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid are 1-2 on most draft boards right now, with Jabari Parker locked in at the three spot. That could shift a little but some order that is your top three, with the Sixers taking whoever is still on the board from that group.
Which makes Exum a potential pick of the Orlando Magic at No. 4, putting him as the point guard next to Victor Oladipo in a young backcourt.
PBT’s draft expert Ed Isaacson of NBADraftblog.com and Rotoworld had Exum going fifth in his first mock draft, the Utah Jazz, with them making Exum the two guard next to Trey Burke. Isaacson is not as high on Exum as some around the league.
The question is just how high up the draft board are one of those people who love Exum.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 2
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30