Report: Donald Sterling’s attorney sent NBA a letter authorizing Shelly Sterling to sell the Clippers
May 28, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
Last week, reports emerged Donald Sterling had authorized Shelly Sterling to sell the Clippers on his behalf. That was an agreement between the Sterlings, co-owners of the franchise – not with the NBA.
The NBA would probably like the Sterlings to sell the team, but it won’t wait if that hasn’t happened before June 3, when the other 29 owners will vote whether or not to remove Donald’s (and subsequently, Shelly’s) ownership.
However, the Donald-Shelly agreement – though not with the NBA – involves the NBA.
Ramona Shelburne of ESPN:
How can Donald now vow to fight after that?
If Donald and Shelly get into their own entanglement, the NBA could be forced to get involved by sharing what it knew about their arrangement and when.
Perhaps, he can rescind his agreement with her, but that depends on the wording of the contract. The NBA could probably shed some light on that simply by checking its copy of the agreement, but I doubt the league wants to get further involved.
In the meantime, Donald might want to get his lawyers on the same page. Unless a conflicting legal strategy is part of his plan.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 26
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 29
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30