Report: Donald Sterling’s attorney sent NBA a letter authorizing Shelly Sterling to sell the Clippers
May 28, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
Last week, reports emerged Donald Sterling had authorized Shelly Sterling to sell the Clippers on his behalf. That was an agreement between the Sterlings, co-owners of the franchise – not with the NBA.
The NBA would probably like the Sterlings to sell the team, but it won’t wait if that hasn’t happened before June 3, when the other 29 owners will vote whether or not to remove Donald’s (and subsequently, Shelly’s) ownership.
However, the Donald-Shelly agreement – though not with the NBA – involves the NBA.
Ramona Shelburne of ESPN:
How can Donald now vow to fight after that?
If Donald and Shelly get into their own entanglement, the NBA could be forced to get involved by sharing what it knew about their arrangement and when.
Perhaps, he can rescind his agreement with her, but that depends on the wording of the contract. The NBA could probably shed some light on that simply by checking its copy of the agreement, but I doubt the league wants to get further involved.
In the meantime, Donald might want to get his lawyers on the same page. Unless a conflicting legal strategy is part of his plan.
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 5
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 9
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 7