Report: Donald Sterling’s attorney sent NBA a letter authorizing Shelly Sterling to sell the Clippers
May 28, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
Last week, reports emerged Donald Sterling had authorized Shelly Sterling to sell the Clippers on his behalf. That was an agreement between the Sterlings, co-owners of the franchise – not with the NBA.
The NBA would probably like the Sterlings to sell the team, but it won’t wait if that hasn’t happened before June 3, when the other 29 owners will vote whether or not to remove Donald’s (and subsequently, Shelly’s) ownership.
However, the Donald-Shelly agreement – though not with the NBA – involves the NBA.
Ramona Shelburne of ESPN:
How can Donald now vow to fight after that?
If Donald and Shelly get into their own entanglement, the NBA could be forced to get involved by sharing what it knew about their arrangement and when.
Perhaps, he can rescind his agreement with her, but that depends on the wording of the contract. The NBA could probably shed some light on that simply by checking its copy of the agreement, but I doubt the league wants to get further involved.
In the meantime, Donald might want to get his lawyers on the same page. Unless a conflicting legal strategy is part of his plan.
- Cavs GM: It’s “highly unlikely” Kevin Love returns at all in playoffs, even if Cavs make Finals 23
- No Kevin Love, no J.R. Smith to start, how much trouble is Cleveland in? 22
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 6
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 10
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 25
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2