May 28, 2014, 5:28 PM EST
A backup point guard at an affordable price is a valuable commodity in the NBA.
Which is why the Knicks are not likely to let Toure’ Murry walk, at least not cheaply. It’s also why teams like Chicago, Golden State and Brooklyn would love to steal him away.
Combo guard Toure’ Murry, coming off his rookie season, is said to be on the radar of a handful of teams — Chicago and Golden State among them — that are hoping the shift in power in New York from the Knicks’ previous administration to Phil Jackson leads to Murry becoming an unrestricted free agent…
The Knicks can make Murry a restricted free agent and obviously increase their chances of keeping him by extending the Wichita State product a qualifying offer before June 29. In that scenario, New York could match any offer Murry received in free agency.
If I were Murry’s agent and wanted to leak something that might help him get a bigger payday next season… just thinking out loud (so to speak).
It’s hard to imagine Phil Jackson not extending a qualifying offer to Murry, both considering he should be affordable and Jackson has an affinity for tall guards (Murry is 6’5”). Murry played in 51 games for the Knicks and averaged 2.7 points a game with a PER of 11.1 — he’s a project still but one with the promise of a potential rotation player.
Murry made the minimum of $490,180 last season as a rookie and showed flashes of promise. Enough to intrigue other teams, but likely not at a price that would make Jackson and the Knicks balk at matching (a few million a year). He’s still a project and his attraction is the price.
Still, it’s something to watch as we move into free agency.
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 3
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 3
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9