May 28, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT
But it’s undeniable how much all three are enjoying their experience – playing and living – in Miami.
Bosh continues to be open about how badly he wants to keep this going.
Bosh was asked about his upcoming opportunity to leave in free agency during an appearance on The Dan LeBatard Show this afternoon and said, “Yeah, I mean, I don’t want to go anywhere. I like it here. It’s Miami. Everybody wants to come here. Yeah.”
When asked if he would accept a below-market offer from the Heat, he answered, “If that’s what it takes.”
If LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Udonis Haslem and Chris Andersen – the later two have player options – remain in their contracts and Miami waives Justin Hamilton at no cost, the Heat could add minimum-salary rookies to form a 13-man roster that is $3,355,568 below the projected luxury-tax line.
Obviously, instead of settling for minimum-salary rookies, Miami could use that leeway to upgrade that projected roster – re-signing Mario Chalmers, re-signing Ray Allen and/or use part of the mid-level exception ($5,305,000) on another free agent.
So, Bosh shouldn’t have to take a below-market offer – which is anything below the max. He’s already done that, and the Heat have been wildly successful these last few years. They’ve almost certainly been highly profitable, and if they haven’t, that’s their fault.
Bosh, LeBron and especially Wade have already done Micky Arison a favor. If those three want max contracts, the Heat owner should pay them – and dip into the luxury tax if necessary to surround them with a strong supporting cast.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 45
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11