May 27, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
So now the Grizzlies so love the coach they told a week ago that he could interview for another job so much that they are taking steps to keep him around longer.
Memphis coach Dave Joerger has gotten a contract extension, reports the well-connected Chris Vernon of 92.9 FM ESPN in Memphis.
Joerger has gotten an extension with Grizzlies. added 2 yrs to his contract – which would make it 4—
Chris Vernon (@ChrisVernonShow) May 27, 2014
Also, an interesting note on teams trying to poach Joerger.
As crazy as things have been with Memphis the last week, this is a good thing. That team needs some stability. Keeping Joerger — a highly respected young coach who just led the team to a 50-win season despite a rash of injuries — is a good start there.
The next smart step for owner Robert Pera is to go out and hire a smart, creative general manager/team president. Then the real key is to step back and let said GM and Joerger do their jobs. There’s a reason you don’t see Spurs’ owner Peter Holt or Heat owner Micky Arison involved in the basketball side of the operations, and it seems to work out pretty well for those two.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 8
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 4
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19