May 27, 2014, 6:19 PM EST
So now the Grizzlies so love the coach they told a week ago that he could interview for another job so much that they are taking steps to keep him around longer.
Memphis coach Dave Joerger has gotten a contract extension, reports the well-connected Chris Vernon of 92.9 FM ESPN in Memphis.
Also, an interesting note on teams trying to poach Joerger.
As crazy as things have been with Memphis the last week, this is a good thing. That team needs some stability. Keeping Joerger — a highly respected young coach who just led the team to a 50-win season despite a rash of injuries — is a good start there.
The next smart step for owner Robert Pera is to go out and hire a smart, creative general manager/team president. Then the real key is to step back and let said GM and Joerger do their jobs. There’s a reason you don’t see Spurs’ owner Peter Holt or Heat owner Micky Arison involved in the basketball side of the operations, and it seems to work out pretty well for those two.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 5
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 15
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 11
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15