May 27, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
So now the Grizzlies so love the coach they told a week ago that he could interview for another job so much that they are taking steps to keep him around longer.
Memphis coach Dave Joerger has gotten a contract extension, reports the well-connected Chris Vernon of 92.9 FM ESPN in Memphis.
Also, an interesting note on teams trying to poach Joerger.
As crazy as things have been with Memphis the last week, this is a good thing. That team needs some stability. Keeping Joerger — a highly respected young coach who just led the team to a 50-win season despite a rash of injuries — is a good start there.
The next smart step for owner Robert Pera is to go out and hire a smart, creative general manager/team president. Then the real key is to step back and let said GM and Joerger do their jobs. There’s a reason you don’t see Spurs’ owner Peter Holt or Heat owner Micky Arison involved in the basketball side of the operations, and it seems to work out pretty well for those two.
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 8
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 22
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 79
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 10
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38