May 27, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
So now the Grizzlies so love the coach they told a week ago that he could interview for another job so much that they are taking steps to keep him around longer.
Memphis coach Dave Joerger has gotten a contract extension, reports the well-connected Chris Vernon of 92.9 FM ESPN in Memphis.
Also, an interesting note on teams trying to poach Joerger.
As crazy as things have been with Memphis the last week, this is a good thing. That team needs some stability. Keeping Joerger — a highly respected young coach who just led the team to a 50-win season despite a rash of injuries — is a good start there.
The next smart step for owner Robert Pera is to go out and hire a smart, creative general manager/team president. Then the real key is to step back and let said GM and Joerger do their jobs. There’s a reason you don’t see Spurs’ owner Peter Holt or Heat owner Micky Arison involved in the basketball side of the operations, and it seems to work out pretty well for those two.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 20
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9