May 27, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
So now the Grizzlies so love the coach they told a week ago that he could interview for another job so much that they are taking steps to keep him around longer.
Memphis coach Dave Joerger has gotten a contract extension, reports the well-connected Chris Vernon of 92.9 FM ESPN in Memphis.
Also, an interesting note on teams trying to poach Joerger.
As crazy as things have been with Memphis the last week, this is a good thing. That team needs some stability. Keeping Joerger — a highly respected young coach who just led the team to a 50-win season despite a rash of injuries — is a good start there.
The next smart step for owner Robert Pera is to go out and hire a smart, creative general manager/team president. Then the real key is to step back and let said GM and Joerger do their jobs. There’s a reason you don’t see Spurs’ owner Peter Holt or Heat owner Micky Arison involved in the basketball side of the operations, and it seems to work out pretty well for those two.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18