LeBron James on Lance Stephenson’s comments: ‘I got a smirk out of it’

May 27, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game 4 Getty Images

Lance Stephenson tried getting into LeBron James’ head.

Shockingly, It didn’t work.

Not only did LeBron dominate the Heat’s Game 4 win, Stephenson didn’t score until late third quarter and didn’t make a shot until late fourth quarter.

Afterward, both players were asked about Stephenson’s pre-game trash-talk comments.

LeBron:

I don’t need any motivation.  I’m motivated enough to try to get back to the Finals.  That’s motivating enough. Being one of the leaders of this team, I have to do my job.  I have to do my part to help us win. And That’s what it’s all about.

Do I find him comical? Uh, I got a smirk out of it.

Stephenson, via Brian Windhorst of ESPN:

“I have no regrets,” Stephenson said. “I tried to play ball, I tried to get inside his head and I guess he stepped up and got the win. I can take the heat, I can take the fire.”

It’s impossible to know just how much Stephenson affected LeBron. Of course, LeBron wants to minimize the perceived impact an opponent can have on him. But it wouldn’t be surprising at all if LeBron used Stephenson’s comments to summon extra energy and focus.

And good for Stephenson for owning his words. This should be a learning experience for him, but he can’t reverse it. There’s no point pretending it didn’t happen.

Just don’t do it again.

Latest Posts
  1. Nigeria beats Angola to win AfroBasket, qualify for Rio Olympics

Aug 30, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT

Olympics Day 10 - Basketball Getty Images

Al-Farouq Aminu is headed back to the Olympics.

2. Sneaky good summer move: Spurs trade for Ray McCallum

Aug 30, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

We’ll all look back at the McCallum trade and say “it’s the Spurs doing Spurs things again.”

3. Report: Heat want to take long look at young guards before trading Mario Chalmers

Aug 30, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Mario Chalmers AP

Can Johnson take on the backup point guard role if Chalmers was moved?

4. Gov. Scott Walker defends $250 million Milwaukee arena deal as “fiscally responsible”

Aug 30, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Scott Walker AP

“You’re talking about being a fiscally responsible person, I am. That’s precisely why I did this.” —Scott Walker

5. Hornets’ coach says rookie Frank Kaminsky needs to add strength

Aug 30, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

2015 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

He may start at the four for Charlotte this year.

6. Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season

Aug 29, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Anthony Davis Anthony Davis

If he develops a consistent three-point shot, it’s over.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches