LeBron James on Lance Stephenson’s comments: ‘I got a smirk out of it’

May 27, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game 4 Getty Images

Lance Stephenson tried getting into LeBron James’ head.

Shockingly, It didn’t work.

Not only did LeBron dominate the Heat’s Game 4 win, Stephenson didn’t score until late third quarter and didn’t make a shot until late fourth quarter.

Afterward, both players were asked about Stephenson’s pre-game trash-talk comments.

LeBron:

I don’t need any motivation.  I’m motivated enough to try to get back to the Finals.  That’s motivating enough. Being one of the leaders of this team, I have to do my job.  I have to do my part to help us win. And That’s what it’s all about.

Do I find him comical? Uh, I got a smirk out of it.

Stephenson, via Brian Windhorst of ESPN:

“I have no regrets,” Stephenson said. “I tried to play ball, I tried to get inside his head and I guess he stepped up and got the win. I can take the heat, I can take the fire.”

It’s impossible to know just how much Stephenson affected LeBron. Of course, LeBron wants to minimize the perceived impact an opponent can have on him. But it wouldn’t be surprising at all if LeBron used Stephenson’s comments to summon extra energy and focus.

And good for Stephenson for owning his words. This should be a learning experience for him, but he can’t reverse it. There’s no point pretending it didn’t happen.

Just don’t do it again.

Latest Posts
  1. Kyrie Irving passes between legs to LeBron for dunk (VIDEO)

Oct 2, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT

LeBron James LeBron James

There’s going to be a lot of this in the coming season.

2. Rajon Rondo says he deserves a max contract

Oct 2, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT

Rajon Rondo, Danny Ainge Rajon Rondo, Danny Ainge

Celtics president Danny Ainge agrees that’s a fair request

3. Al Jefferson vows to improve defense this season

Oct 2, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

After 10 years in the league, how much change do we really expect?

4. 67RIEFNS No. 7: Warriors’ starting lineup

Oct 2, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT

Stephen Curry Stephen Curry

Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Andre Iguodala, David Lee and Andrew Bogut dominated last season and return for more

5. Does Serge Ibaka know who Mitch McGary is?

Oct 1, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

2014 Oklahoma City Thunder Media Day 2014 Oklahoma City Thunder Media Day

Thunder forward says he doesn’t (unless he’s joking like Kevin Martin)

6. D-League considers rule change: Players attempt one free throw on all trips to line

Oct 1, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Dwight Howard Dwight Howard

Get fouled on a missed 2-pointer – one free throw worth two points
    Get fouled on a missed 3-pointer – one free throw worth three points

7. Injury updates: Lakers Ryan Kelly, Jazz’s Carrick Felix both out for a while

Oct 1, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Media Day Getty Images

Two young players trying to prove to new coaches they deserved minutes. This is a real setback for both.

8. LeBron co-producing children’s show about beginnings of himself, other top athletes

Oct 1, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT

LeBron James LeBron James

The show is on Disney XD. I suppose there are worse things your child could watch.

9. Phil Jackson compared J.R. Smith to Dennis Rodman. Smith likes that.

Oct 1, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT

J.R. Smith AP

Thing is, Rodman fit the triangle and what Jackson wants to do with a team. Smith…. not so much.

10. Greg Monroe calls offseason rumors surrounding him ‘lies’

Oct 1, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT

Greg Monroe Greg Monroe

Monroe had a busy offseason in terms of appearances in the NBA’s news cycle.

11. Rajon Rondo doesn’t rule out opening night return for Celtics

Oct 1, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Broken hand is supposed to sideline Rondo for 6-8 weeks.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches