LeBron James on Lance Stephenson’s comments: ‘I got a smirk out of it’

May 27, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game 4 Getty Images

Lance Stephenson tried getting into LeBron James’ head.

Shockingly, It didn’t work.

Not only did LeBron dominate the Heat’s Game 4 win, Stephenson didn’t score until late third quarter and didn’t make a shot until late fourth quarter.

Afterward, both players were asked about Stephenson’s pre-game trash-talk comments.

LeBron:

I don’t need any motivation.  I’m motivated enough to try to get back to the Finals.  That’s motivating enough. Being one of the leaders of this team, I have to do my job.  I have to do my part to help us win. And That’s what it’s all about.

Do I find him comical? Uh, I got a smirk out of it.

Stephenson, via Brian Windhorst of ESPN:

“I have no regrets,” Stephenson said. “I tried to play ball, I tried to get inside his head and I guess he stepped up and got the win. I can take the heat, I can take the fire.”

It’s impossible to know just how much Stephenson affected LeBron. Of course, LeBron wants to minimize the perceived impact an opponent can have on him. But it wouldn’t be surprising at all if LeBron used Stephenson’s comments to summon extra energy and focus.

And good for Stephenson for owning his words. This should be a learning experience for him, but he can’t reverse it. There’s no point pretending it didn’t happen.

Just don’t do it again.

Latest Posts
  1. Jazz GM says he’ll have news for fans soon regarding contract issue with Trey Lyles

Jul 7, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT

Trey Lyles Trey Lyles

The 12th overall pick hasn’t practiced with the Jazz, and remains unsigned. But the GM says “No worries.”

2. Report: Players union to set up fund to help retired, destitute players medical expenses

Jul 7, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Michele Roberts, the Executive Director of National Basketball Players Association Getty Images

This is the kind of thing that all that new television revenue should go to.

3. LeBron James says his legacy “will speak for itself” (also talks “Trainwreck” movie)

Jul 7, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

All I have ever argued about LeBron’s legacy is that you can’t compare it right now to Magic or Jordan or Bird or whoever because he’s still playing at the peak of his game.

4. Matt Bonner blames down shooting season on iPhone 6

Jul 7, 2015, 12:17 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v San Antonio Spurs - Game Four Getty Images

Bonner claims a Spurs strength-and-conditioning coach supports the theory

5. Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE

Jul 6, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT

Mo Williams, Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving AP

Cleveland fills its biggest need with its second-best roster-building mechanism

6. Reports: Mavericks re-sign J.J. Barea for two-years, $5.6 million

Jul 6, 2015, 6:44 PM EDT

J.J. Barea J.J. Barea

This is a solid signing, but the Mavs need more help at the guard spot.

7. Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade

Jul 6, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

This trade could work for both teams if the Clippers can flip Haywood’s contract again for a big man.

8. Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs

Jul 6, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT

David West David West

West left $10.6 million on the table to go to a contender.

9. Report: Dallas thinking of bringing back Jason Terry

Jul 6, 2015, 4:12 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Houston Rockets - Game Two Getty Images

Signing Terry would go over well with the fan base in Dallas

10. Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season

Jul 6, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 10:  Manu Ginobli #20 of the San Antonio Spurs gestures to a teammate in the game against the Los Angeles Clippers at Staples Center on November 10, 2014 in Los Angeles, California.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images) Getty Images

Can the Spurs keep Patty Mills and Boris Diaw, too? Ginobili must still negotiate a contract

11. Report: Cavaliers-Nets Joe Johnson trade talks stagnate