LeBron James on Lance Stephenson’s comments: ‘I got a smirk out of it’

May 27, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game 4 Getty Images

Lance Stephenson tried getting into LeBron James’ head.

Shockingly, It didn’t work.

Not only did LeBron dominate the Heat’s Game 4 win, Stephenson didn’t score until late third quarter and didn’t make a shot until late fourth quarter.

Afterward, both players were asked about Stephenson’s pre-game trash-talk comments.

LeBron:

I don’t need any motivation.  I’m motivated enough to try to get back to the Finals.  That’s motivating enough. Being one of the leaders of this team, I have to do my job.  I have to do my part to help us win. And That’s what it’s all about.

Do I find him comical? Uh, I got a smirk out of it.

Stephenson, via Brian Windhorst of ESPN:

“I have no regrets,” Stephenson said. “I tried to play ball, I tried to get inside his head and I guess he stepped up and got the win. I can take the heat, I can take the fire.”

It’s impossible to know just how much Stephenson affected LeBron. Of course, LeBron wants to minimize the perceived impact an opponent can have on him. But it wouldn’t be surprising at all if LeBron used Stephenson’s comments to summon extra energy and focus.

And good for Stephenson for owning his words. This should be a learning experience for him, but he can’t reverse it. There’s no point pretending it didn’t happen.

Just don’t do it again.

Latest Posts
  1. Stephen Curry put on a show against Puerto Rico (VIDEO)

Aug 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Stephen Curry AP

It was a good night to be Stephen Curry.

2. USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut

Aug 23, 2014, 1:20 AM EDT

Puerto Rico v United States Getty Images

Team USA kept four centers on the roster. That’s a bit of a surprise.

3. USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming

Aug 23, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

The players who got DNP-CDs in this one may be the ones who stay home.

4. J.R. Smith wants Knicks shooting guards to ‘put their egos aside’

Aug 22, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT

Iman Shumpert, J.R. Smith Iman Shumpert, J.R. Smith

Playing time decisions will be interesting with four legitimate options competing for minutes.

5. Team USA will make (potentially final) cuts Saturday

Aug 22, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

DeMar DeRozan, Andre Drummond, Gordon Hayward, Chandler Parsons, Kyle Korver all possibilities for chopping block

6. Ricky Rubio representing NBA2K in Spain (PHOTO)

Aug 22, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT

Adidas Eurocamp - Day 2 Getty Images

A fine choice, even if he isn’t the best current NBA player from Spain.

7. Hornets sign first round pick P.J. Hairston

Aug 22, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT

PJ Hairston PJ Hairston

Hairston’s guarantee will total $2 million over two seasons.

8. J.R. Smith wants to be leader for Knicks this season

Aug 22, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT

Charlotte Bobcats v New York Knicks Getty Images

Watching Smith and his gunner, ball-stopping tendencies try to fit in the move-the-ball, read and react triangle offense is going to be interesting. To put it kindly.

9. Jeremy Lin feeling comfortable, even with new wax statue of himself

Aug 22, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT

Jeremy Lin wax figure

His critics don’t get it, but Jeremy Lin is a solid NBA guard now.

10. Report: Klay Thompson a Mike Krzyzewski favorite for Team USA

Aug 22, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Krzyzewski – surprise, surprise – also reportedly likes Mason Plumlee, who played at Duke

11. Watch Giannis Antetokounmpo go length of court in two dribbles, dunk (VIDEO)

Aug 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT

Taco Bell Skills Challenge 2014 Getty Images

The Greek freak is going to be so much fun to watch at the world Cup.

12. Drew Gooden will not play for Finland in World Cup

Aug 22, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Drew Gooden

The hopes of the Finnish nation are crushed…. if they even noticed.

13. V. Stiviano suit: Donald Sterling is gay

Aug 22, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT

Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano

Stiviano claims Sterling paid her to act as his beard

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches