LeBron James on Lance Stephenson’s comments: ‘I got a smirk out of it’

May 27, 2014, 11:11 AM EST

Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game 4 Getty Images

Lance Stephenson tried getting into LeBron James’ head.

Shockingly, It didn’t work.

Not only did LeBron dominate the Heat’s Game 4 win, Stephenson didn’t score until late third quarter and didn’t make a shot until late fourth quarter.

Afterward, both players were asked about Stephenson’s pre-game trash-talk comments.

LeBron:

I don’t need any motivation.  I’m motivated enough to try to get back to the Finals.  That’s motivating enough. Being one of the leaders of this team, I have to do my job.  I have to do my part to help us win. And That’s what it’s all about.

Do I find him comical? Uh, I got a smirk out of it.

Stephenson, via Brian Windhorst of ESPN:

“I have no regrets,” Stephenson said. “I tried to play ball, I tried to get inside his head and I guess he stepped up and got the win. I can take the heat, I can take the fire.”

It’s impossible to know just how much Stephenson affected LeBron. Of course, LeBron wants to minimize the perceived impact an opponent can have on him. But it wouldn’t be surprising at all if LeBron used Stephenson’s comments to summon extra energy and focus.

And good for Stephenson for owning his words. This should be a learning experience for him, but he can’t reverse it. There’s no point pretending it didn’t happen.

Just don’t do it again.

Latest Posts
  1. Michael Jordan’s message to Kobe Bryant: “Go get Karl”

Dec 26, 2014, 4:29 PM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Minnesota Timberwolves Getty Images

At 25 points a game it would still take Kobe 182 games to catch Malone. That’s not likely.

2. Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying”

Dec 26, 2014, 3:00 PM EST

Washington Wizards v New York Knicks Getty Images

Knicks fans are going to need to be patient, something New Yorkers have long been know for. *cough*

3. Spencer Hawes Christmas Day suit was…. well, you should just see it (VIDEO)

Dec 26, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Spencer Hawes AP

Well, you don’t see that every day. Fortunately.

4. Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors

Dec 26, 2014, 2:56 AM EST

Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Clippers AP

The flagrant fouls and ejections we’ve come to expect from these teams were non-existent, as L.A. came away with a “signature win” over the league-leading Warriors.

5. Pau Gasol shines in his first matchup with the Lakers

Dec 25, 2014, 11:48 PM EST

Chicago Bulls v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

The Bulls blew out the Lakers on Christmas.

6. Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win

Dec 25, 2014, 11:31 PM EST

Dwyane Wade, LeBron James Dwyane Wade, LeBron James

Wade was brilliant… for a half, anyway. But that was enough.

7. Kobe Bryant sits out Lakers’ Christmas Day matchup with Bulls

Dec 25, 2014, 9:24 PM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Chicago Bulls Los Angeles Lakers v Chicago Bulls

Bryant misses his second straight game simply due to a need for rest.

8. Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs

Dec 25, 2014, 6:46 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v San Antonio Spurs Getty Images

With Kevin Durant out, Westbrook puts Oklahoma City on his back, elevates Steven Adams and helps produce 114-106 victory

9. From Gregg Popovich down, Spurs relying on patience

Dec 25, 2014, 6:10 PM EST

San Antonio Spurs v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Scott Brooks: Kevin Durant ‘could not go if he wanted to go’

10. John Wall looks like All-Star, Knicks look like the Knicks, Wizards cruise to win

Dec 25, 2014, 4:15 PM EST

John Wall, Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalembert AP

Washington was never threatened after the first quarter.

11. LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns

Dec 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

2014 Sears Shooting Stars Competition Getty Images

Kevin Durant would not start as of right now, but expect that to change once he starts playing again.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches