LeBron James on Lance Stephenson’s comments: ‘I got a smirk out of it’

May 27, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game 4 Getty Images

Lance Stephenson tried getting into LeBron James’ head.

Shockingly, It didn’t work.

Not only did LeBron dominate the Heat’s Game 4 win, Stephenson didn’t score until late third quarter and didn’t make a shot until late fourth quarter.

Afterward, both players were asked about Stephenson’s pre-game trash-talk comments.

LeBron:

I don’t need any motivation.  I’m motivated enough to try to get back to the Finals.  That’s motivating enough. Being one of the leaders of this team, I have to do my job.  I have to do my part to help us win. And That’s what it’s all about.

Do I find him comical? Uh, I got a smirk out of it.

Stephenson, via Brian Windhorst of ESPN:

“I have no regrets,” Stephenson said. “I tried to play ball, I tried to get inside his head and I guess he stepped up and got the win. I can take the heat, I can take the fire.”

It’s impossible to know just how much Stephenson affected LeBron. Of course, LeBron wants to minimize the perceived impact an opponent can have on him. But it wouldn’t be surprising at all if LeBron used Stephenson’s comments to summon extra energy and focus.

And good for Stephenson for owning his words. This should be a learning experience for him, but he can’t reverse it. There’s no point pretending it didn’t happen.

Just don’t do it again.

Latest Posts
  1. 67RIEFNS No. 22: Disappointing second-year players looking for redemption

Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

2013 NBA Draft Lottery 2013 NBA Draft Lottery

Anthony Bennett, Otto Porter, Alex Len, Nerlens Noel, Ben McLemore, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, C.J. McCollum among those looking to bounce back after underwhelming rookie years

2. Joakim Noah wants Tom Thibodeau to do yoga with him

Oct 19, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptq2njewnzjmmgrhmwvjyjm2mtnjzju3ymqwzgm4zmmy AP

Tom Thibodeau is not the yoga type.

3. Cavs coach David Blatt will treat Monday’s preseason minutes like the regular season

Oct 19, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

LeBron James LeBron James

LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love will take the floor together for the first time since the preseason opener.

4. NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under two hours, players barely notice

Oct 19, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT

NETS V CELTICS NETS V CELTICS

Experimental preseason game between Nets and Celtics took place Sunday.

5. Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’

Oct 19, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Sacramento Kings - NBA Global Games Beijing Getty Images

Hollins won’t adjust starters minutes as he coaches the Nets during the experimental game Sunday.

6. Gloria James narrates LeBron’s latest Beats commercial

Oct 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

LeBron James LeBron James

“Akron” celebrates James’ homecoming.

7. Carmelo Anthony on fewer back-to-backs: “That’s the dream”

Oct 19, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v New York Knicks Getty Images

The Knicks star says the biggest issue for players is the amount of consecutive games they play.

8. Carmelo Anthony doesn’t think he’ll win scoring title playing in Knicks’ Triangle Offense

Oct 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Carmelo Anthony Carmelo Anthony

Anthony should have more help than in the recent past, but he’ll need to score plenty in order for his team to have a shot.

9. Hakeem Olajuwon: Dwight Howard ‘ready’ for MVP-type season

Oct 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Houston Rockets v Dallas Mavericks Houston Rockets v Dallas Mavericks

Olajuwon is employed by the Rockets, and has been working with Howard the last two summers.

10. Report: Celtics likely to waive Will Bynum after acquiring him in trade with Pistons

Oct 18, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Will Bynum AP

Celtics have too many guaranteed contracts, and are already set at Bynum’s position.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches