May 27, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
Shockingly, It didn’t work.
Afterward, both players were asked about Stephenson’s pre-game trash-talk comments.
I don’t need any motivation. I’m motivated enough to try to get back to the Finals. That’s motivating enough. Being one of the leaders of this team, I have to do my job. I have to do my part to help us win. And That’s what it’s all about.
Do I find him comical? Uh, I got a smirk out of it.
Stephenson, via Brian Windhorst of ESPN:
“I have no regrets,” Stephenson said. “I tried to play ball, I tried to get inside his head and I guess he stepped up and got the win. I can take the heat, I can take the fire.”
It’s impossible to know just how much Stephenson affected LeBron. Of course, LeBron wants to minimize the perceived impact an opponent can have on him. But it wouldn’t be surprising at all if LeBron used Stephenson’s comments to summon extra energy and focus.
And good for Stephenson for owning his words. This should be a learning experience for him, but he can’t reverse it. There’s no point pretending it didn’t happen.
Just don’t do it again.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 28
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 26
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48