LeBron James on Lance Stephenson’s comments: ‘I got a smirk out of it’

May 27, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat - Game 4 Getty Images

Lance Stephenson tried getting into LeBron James’ head.

Shockingly, It didn’t work.

Not only did LeBron dominate the Heat’s Game 4 win, Stephenson didn’t score until late third quarter and didn’t make a shot until late fourth quarter.

Afterward, both players were asked about Stephenson’s pre-game trash-talk comments.

LeBron:

I don’t need any motivation.  I’m motivated enough to try to get back to the Finals.  That’s motivating enough. Being one of the leaders of this team, I have to do my job.  I have to do my part to help us win. And That’s what it’s all about.

Do I find him comical? Uh, I got a smirk out of it.

Stephenson, via Brian Windhorst of ESPN:

“I have no regrets,” Stephenson said. “I tried to play ball, I tried to get inside his head and I guess he stepped up and got the win. I can take the heat, I can take the fire.”

It’s impossible to know just how much Stephenson affected LeBron. Of course, LeBron wants to minimize the perceived impact an opponent can have on him. But it wouldn’t be surprising at all if LeBron used Stephenson’s comments to summon extra energy and focus.

And good for Stephenson for owning his words. This should be a learning experience for him, but he can’t reverse it. There’s no point pretending it didn’t happen.

Just don’t do it again.

1. finsfan71 - May 27, 2014 at 11:25 AM

You guys are missing the point, Lance got into his head and therefore no triple double for LeBron. Good job, Lance.

• reesesteel23 - May 27, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Lol Glad you cleared that up.

• kghane - May 27, 2014 at 11:42 AM

“At least he didn’t drop 49 on you, Lance.” -Paul Pierce

• guyaneserj - May 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM

LOL…. Thanks for clarifying finsfan71…

2. jzone954 - May 27, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Vogel seems to have tried to get in Battiers head with yelling y him when he takes the 3 pts shot lol.

• finsfan71 - May 27, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Watch for him to spill some water on the court during a Miami fast break.

• guyaneserj - May 27, 2014 at 2:52 PM

LMAO…..

3. kghane - May 27, 2014 at 11:40 AM

LeBron “showing signs of weakness” dropping 32-10-5, meanwhile Lance Stephenson is getting shut down by Norris Cole…

• finsfan71 - May 27, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Is anyone going to miss Chalmers when he’s gone?

• kghane - May 27, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I don’t think Chalmers is as bad as every1 thinks. Cole is obviously better defensively but Chalmers does better against teams like the Spurs & Thunder, which is why Miami still utilizes him. Rio has proven to be great while under pressure at times as well. I could see Miami letting him go but Rio is still a great player in my eyes.

• finsfan71 - May 27, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Yeah I know that Chalmers brings a different game to the arena but I hesitate to call him a great player. Not a lot is asked of him and maybe it’s unfair that I expect more.

• toycannoni - May 27, 2014 at 12:44 PM

love rio, but coles game just keeps getting better and better

i’d love to see riles bring in kevin love, even if it meant losing bosh and chalmers

• finsfan71 - May 27, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Damn! I think the entire Heat roster gave me a thumbs down.

• kghane - May 27, 2014 at 4:22 PM

finsfans71, I didn’t thumbs you down lol. I think a lot of people love Chalmers on here hahaa

4. jzone954 - May 27, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Next game chalmers will step up . I just can’t see any of the role players leaving this team even if they had a chance to. Other then retiring

5. doc305 - May 27, 2014 at 12:29 PM

No Ragrets.

• livingsacrifice86 - May 27, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Not even a letter?

• buffalowned - May 27, 2014 at 12:56 PM

See: “We’re the Millers”

6. thenew013 - May 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Can we make it official trash talk only makes LeBron play better?

7. nard100 - May 27, 2014 at 12:45 PM

You woke the dragon and like Pierce you got “burnt up”

8. gpatrick15 - May 27, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Lance Stephenson is a joke. All talk and nothing to back it up. It’s ok to be overly confident sometimes. But this guy just doesn’t seem to know when to stop. And whenever he says something stupid, his teammates have to answer questions about it and he becomes an even bigger distraction. The Pacers will be better off without him, as he’s doing them no favors with his consistently selfish behavior and his foot-in-mouth antics. I didn’t think there’d be another SG alive who I disliked more than D Wade (whom I respect tremendously as a player, the dislike comes from the seemingly dirty play and the dominance he’s put down on my teams over the years), but Stephenson takes the cake without accomplishing even a fraction of what Wade has. Whoever signs this guy to a big contract will regret it.

• jimeejohnson - May 27, 2014 at 6:00 PM

From Brooklyn, New Yawk.

9. dedalus13 - May 27, 2014 at 3:14 PM

This guy will never learn

10. futilephish - May 27, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Stupid is as stupid does

• jimeejohnson - May 27, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Knicks.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches