May 27, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
I don’t know if they were waiting for after Memorial Day, but Cleveland is starting to move more quickly in its interview process for a new coach.
It starts Tuesday with Bulls assistant coach Adrian Griffin, considered a frontrunner from the start, and it will move through the most likely candidates pretty quickly, reports Mary Schmitt Boyer of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Los Angeles Clippers assistant Tyronn Lue will interview later this week, followed by former Memphis coach Lionel Hollins. The Cavs also asked permission to speak to Clippers associate head coach Alvin Gentry, but it’s unclear if an interview with him has been scheduled.
There are other names mentioned — Vinny Del Negro and maybe Heat assistant David Fizdale, although he’s a tad busy with his other job right now — but expect the head coach to come out of that group of four.
Griffin was one of the first names to come up for the Cavs because he has ties with GM David Griffin going back to Phoenix. However he is no lock for this position (he is interviewing for the Jazz job as well). Both Gentry and Hollins feel like guys going to land a job this summer as they are interviewing almost everywhere there is a vacancy, including both with the Los Angeles Lakers this week.
I will make no predictions on what direction owner Dan Gilbert will eventually go to replace Mike Brown because I find predicting Gilbert impossible.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31