May 26, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Grizzlies owner Robert Pera is putting his stamp on the Grizzlies. Again. Gone are the stats-driven front office, but their coach Dave Joerger is staying. There are more changes coming as the search for a GM starts up.
Another priority of Pera’s — keeping Zach Randolph. And he is taking steps to make that happen.
The power forward that is one of the anchors of the Grizzlies offense can opt out this summer but has said he wanted to stay in Memphis and the two sides are talking contract extension, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Randolph, 32, has until June 30 to trigger a $16.5 million player option on the final season of his contract and already had begun preliminary discussions on a long-term extension with Memphis, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Randolph has talked directly with Pera in the past week and he and his agent Raymond Brothers sensed a serious commitment to keep Randolph in Memphis with a new deal.
“We have a great level of comfort and trust with Robert Pera and Chris Wallace,” Brothers told Yahoo Sports on Monday. “Chris and I have been working together for years. He is a good guy.”
Randolph averaged 17.4 points and 10.1 rebounds a game last season.
Stability matters, and while the Grizzlies have not had it in the front office and coach staffs they do have it on the court. They need Zach Randolph to stay, ideally at a price that allows them to get some more shooting.
There is a fair price for both sides (less than the $16.5 million, maybe in the four years, $48 million range). Sounds like they are working towards it and will get a deal done.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61