May 26, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Grizzlies owner Robert Pera is putting his stamp on the Grizzlies. Again. Gone are the stats-driven front office, but their coach Dave Joerger is staying. There are more changes coming as the search for a GM starts up.
Another priority of Pera’s — keeping Zach Randolph. And he is taking steps to make that happen.
The power forward that is one of the anchors of the Grizzlies offense can opt out this summer but has said he wanted to stay in Memphis and the two sides are talking contract extension, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Randolph, 32, has until June 30 to trigger a $16.5 million player option on the final season of his contract and already had begun preliminary discussions on a long-term extension with Memphis, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Randolph has talked directly with Pera in the past week and he and his agent Raymond Brothers sensed a serious commitment to keep Randolph in Memphis with a new deal.
“We have a great level of comfort and trust with Robert Pera and Chris Wallace,” Brothers told Yahoo Sports on Monday. “Chris and I have been working together for years. He is a good guy.”
Randolph averaged 17.4 points and 10.1 rebounds a game last season.
Stability matters, and while the Grizzlies have not had it in the front office and coach staffs they do have it on the court. They need Zach Randolph to stay, ideally at a price that allows them to get some more shooting.
There is a fair price for both sides (less than the $16.5 million, maybe in the four years, $48 million range). Sounds like they are working towards it and will get a deal done.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 12
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 14
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 14
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 46