May 26, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Grizzlies owner Robert Pera is putting his stamp on the Grizzlies. Again. Gone are the stats-driven front office, but their coach Dave Joerger is staying. There are more changes coming as the search for a GM starts up.
Another priority of Pera’s — keeping Zach Randolph. And he is taking steps to make that happen.
The power forward that is one of the anchors of the Grizzlies offense can opt out this summer but has said he wanted to stay in Memphis and the two sides are talking contract extension, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Randolph, 32, has until June 30 to trigger a $16.5 million player option on the final season of his contract and already had begun preliminary discussions on a long-term extension with Memphis, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Randolph has talked directly with Pera in the past week and he and his agent Raymond Brothers sensed a serious commitment to keep Randolph in Memphis with a new deal.
“We have a great level of comfort and trust with Robert Pera and Chris Wallace,” Brothers told Yahoo Sports on Monday. “Chris and I have been working together for years. He is a good guy.”
Randolph averaged 17.4 points and 10.1 rebounds a game last season.
Stability matters, and while the Grizzlies have not had it in the front office and coach staffs they do have it on the court. They need Zach Randolph to stay, ideally at a price that allows them to get some more shooting.
There is a fair price for both sides (less than the $16.5 million, maybe in the four years, $48 million range). Sounds like they are working towards it and will get a deal done.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 23
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 30
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23