Report: Zach Randolph, Memphis Grizzlies talking contract extension

May 26, 2014, 5:00 PM EST

Memphis Grizzlies v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Grizzlies owner Robert Pera is putting his stamp on the Grizzlies. Again. Gone are the stats-driven front office, but their coach Dave Joerger is staying. There are more changes coming as the search for a GM starts up.

Another priority of Pera’s — keeping Zach Randolph. And he is taking steps to make that happen.

The power forward that is one of the anchors of the Grizzlies offense can opt out this summer but has said he wanted to stay in Memphis and the two sides are talking contract extension, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.

Randolph, 32, has until June 30 to trigger a $16.5 million player option on the final season of his contract and already had begun preliminary discussions on a long-term extension with Memphis, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Randolph has talked directly with Pera in the past week and he and his agent Raymond Brothers sensed a serious commitment to keep Randolph in Memphis with a new deal.

“We have a great level of comfort and trust with Robert Pera and Chris Wallace,” Brothers told Yahoo Sports on Monday. “Chris and I have been working together for years. He is a good guy.”

Randolph averaged 17.4 points and 10.1 rebounds a game last season.

Stability matters, and while the Grizzlies have not had it in the front office and coach staffs they do have it on the court. They need Zach Randolph to stay, ideally at a price that allows them to get some more shooting.

There is a fair price for both sides (less than the $16.5 million, maybe in the four years, $48 million range). Sounds like they are working towards it and will get a deal done.

1. cantonb0und13 - May 26, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Funny how once Zach Randolph left the Knicks, he finds some success. Something Knicks are not familiar with.

• cantonbound13 - May 26, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Success? Has he even made it to the Finals???? He did the same thing in NY. Another idiotic statement by you!

• cantonb0und13 - May 26, 2014 at 6:38 PM

I’m pretty sure I said, “some success.” Funny how you continue to reply to my comments. You’re constantly thinking about me. Loser.

• cantonbound13 - May 26, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Not only do you steal my name, you also steal my responses. Are you capable of doing anything that’s original?
        Unlike you, I don’t seek you out. I read the articles then scroll down to comments & notice the fake coward posting another idiotic comment. As far as I’m concerned you’re a joke with no identity or original comment.

• 00maltliquor - May 27, 2014 at 2:19 AM

Same thing with Jamal Crawford.

2. sportsfan18 - May 26, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Heck yeah he wants to keep Z-Bo…

He wants to play him one-on-one…

Psst, Mr. Pera sir, this player, Crazy Bo, er, sorry sir, Z-Bo punched an opponent in the face a few weeks back so you might not want to play him…

Mr. Pera says OK, have Crazy Bo play Joerger play him in a game of one-on-one then.

When you ask? Right AFTER I offer Mr. Randolph his new contract for one year and $1.69 million dollars.

AFTER I present him with his new contract offer, have him play that Joerger dude in a game of one-on-one…

3. dvic13 - May 26, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Wow, that was lengthy and horribly unfunny, all in one.

4. cantonb0und13 - May 26, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Ask Patrick Ewing what he went through with the Knicks, I’m pretty sure he would said, “In short, it was a tragedy.”

5. 00maltliquor - May 27, 2014 at 2:25 AM

That’s the first sensible move I’ve seen MEM make.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches