May 26, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Following in the trend of speaking to experienced coaches, you can add another name to the Los Angeles Lakers interview list:
Clippers lead assistant Alvin Gentry.
He spoke with GM Mitch Kupchak on the phone and will meet in person with Kupchak and co-owner Jim Buss on Wednesday, reports Broderick Turner of the Los Angeles Times.
The Lakers became more interested in talking with Gentry after speaking with several coaches and executives who raved about Gentry’s offensive philosophy, according to one executive.
Gentry’s primary responsibility was the Clippers offense last season, which played at a faster tempo than years before, had good ball movement (it wasn’t all just on Chris Paul to create out of the pick-and-roll as it had been before) and the result was the best offense in the NBA during the regular season.
Gentry also has interviewed with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
The Lakers put out a lot of feelers to replace Mike D’Antoni, but when it came time to start interviewing coaches they have gone with veterans who could, in theory, help the team win now — Mike Dunleavy, Byron Scott and next week Lionel Hollins also will sit down with the Lakers’ brain trust.
Gentry was the head coach of the Clippers and Suns previously, plus he had interim stints with the Heat and Pistons.
It may not be the home run some Lakers fans unrealistically expect, but those are a solid group, each of whom could do well in the big chair. If given the right talent to work with. But that’s a different issue for the Lakers.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 25
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15