May 26, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Following in the trend of speaking to experienced coaches, you can add another name to the Los Angeles Lakers interview list:
Clippers lead assistant Alvin Gentry.
He spoke with GM Mitch Kupchak on the phone and will meet in person with Kupchak and co-owner Jim Buss on Wednesday, reports Broderick Turner of the Los Angeles Times.
The Lakers became more interested in talking with Gentry after speaking with several coaches and executives who raved about Gentry’s offensive philosophy, according to one executive.
Gentry’s primary responsibility was the Clippers offense last season, which played at a faster tempo than years before, had good ball movement (it wasn’t all just on Chris Paul to create out of the pick-and-roll as it had been before) and the result was the best offense in the NBA during the regular season.
Gentry also has interviewed with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
The Lakers put out a lot of feelers to replace Mike D’Antoni, but when it came time to start interviewing coaches they have gone with veterans who could, in theory, help the team win now — Mike Dunleavy, Byron Scott and next week Lionel Hollins also will sit down with the Lakers’ brain trust.
Gentry was the head coach of the Clippers and Suns previously, plus he had interim stints with the Heat and Pistons.
It may not be the home run some Lakers fans unrealistically expect, but those are a solid group, each of whom could do well in the big chair. If given the right talent to work with. But that’s a different issue for the Lakers.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 9
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 22
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 12
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15