May 26, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Following in the trend of speaking to experienced coaches, you can add another name to the Los Angeles Lakers interview list:
Clippers lead assistant Alvin Gentry.
He spoke with GM Mitch Kupchak on the phone and will meet in person with Kupchak and co-owner Jim Buss on Wednesday, reports Broderick Turner of the Los Angeles Times.
The Lakers became more interested in talking with Gentry after speaking with several coaches and executives who raved about Gentry’s offensive philosophy, according to one executive.
Gentry’s primary responsibility was the Clippers offense last season, which played at a faster tempo than years before, had good ball movement (it wasn’t all just on Chris Paul to create out of the pick-and-roll as it had been before) and the result was the best offense in the NBA during the regular season.
Gentry also has interviewed with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
The Lakers put out a lot of feelers to replace Mike D’Antoni, but when it came time to start interviewing coaches they have gone with veterans who could, in theory, help the team win now — Mike Dunleavy, Byron Scott and next week Lionel Hollins also will sit down with the Lakers’ brain trust.
Gentry was the head coach of the Clippers and Suns previously, plus he had interim stints with the Heat and Pistons.
It may not be the home run some Lakers fans unrealistically expect, but those are a solid group, each of whom could do well in the big chair. If given the right talent to work with. But that’s a different issue for the Lakers.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 5
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10