May 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Remember when Trail Blazers guard Mo Williams got in the face of Rockets rookie Troy Daniels following Game 4 of the Trail Blazers-Rockets series?
It was really strange, because there was no clear reason for Williams to be upset with Daniels.
Daniels was the unlikely hero of Game 3, and he made 4-of-5 3-pointers in Game 4. But he’d had no apparent issues with Williams to that point.
Portland won the series in six games, and it seemed the feud would remain a mystery. But Williams is spilling the beans.
Williams on NBA TV (hat tip: John Canzano of The Oregonian):
My thing was, let me get him some attention. Let me get the reporters in his locker room asking him questions about me that has nothing to do with the game. Now, all his homeboys got to call him – all his friends, his mom, his sister, everybody. ‘What’s going on? Is something wrong with you guys?’ ‘There’s nothing wrong with us.’ The thing is, it’s all a tactic.
That. Is. Genius. I can’t say enough how much I love this tactic.
Now, Williams can add so many layers of reverse psychology. The next time he jaws with an opponent, is he serious or just acting? The other player’s head can spin in circles as he tries to figure it out – which is exactly what Williams wants.
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 8
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 3
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 46
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 19
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 34
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25