Gregg Popovich mocks Ibaka’s previous injury status, jokes Ginobili is ‘out for the rest of the playoffs’
May 26, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Serge Ibaka was supposed to be out for the rest of the postseason with a calf injury, and wasn’t able to go in the first two games of the Western Conference Finals as the Spurs cruised to consecutive blowout victories.
San Antonio didn’t buy the diagnosis initially, of course, and Gregg Popovich was anything but “shocked” when it appeared as though Ibaka would make a miraculous recovery in time to return for Game 3.
Oklahoma City got a great performance out of Ibaka which helped cut the Spurs lead in the series to two games to one, and despite suffering the loss, Popovich used his postgame press conference as an opportunity to crack wise about Ibaka’s initial injury designation.
A reporter asked about Manu Ginobili, and whether he’d be physically okay after heading to the locker room late in the fourth quarter.
“He’ll be fine,” Popovich said, before pausing a few seconds to reconsider. “Or, he’s out for the rest of the playoffs.”
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 0
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 39
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11