Gregg Popovich mocks Ibaka’s previous injury status, jokes Ginobili is ‘out for the rest of the playoffs’
May 26, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Serge Ibaka was supposed to be out for the rest of the postseason with a calf injury, and wasn’t able to go in the first two games of the Western Conference Finals as the Spurs cruised to consecutive blowout victories.
San Antonio didn’t buy the diagnosis initially, of course, and Gregg Popovich was anything but “shocked” when it appeared as though Ibaka would make a miraculous recovery in time to return for Game 3.
Oklahoma City got a great performance out of Ibaka which helped cut the Spurs lead in the series to two games to one, and despite suffering the loss, Popovich used his postgame press conference as an opportunity to crack wise about Ibaka’s initial injury designation.
A reporter asked about Manu Ginobili, and whether he’d be physically okay after heading to the locker room late in the fourth quarter.
“He’ll be fine,” Popovich said, before pausing a few seconds to reconsider. “Or, he’s out for the rest of the playoffs.”
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 7
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15