May 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
When reports emerged that the Grizzlies were undergoing a power shakeup in their front office that would see head coach Dave Joerger jettisoned after a successful first season in charge, the Timberwolves were quick to pounce.
After a final meeting with ownership, Minnesota has reportedly decided that Joerger is the man they want to take on their job — one that could include the pressure of winning enough immediately to make Kevin Love reconsider signing a long-term deal to stay.
But that comes later. First, there’s the small matter of Joerger still being under contract with the Grizzlies.
From the Associated Press:
The Timberwolves decided on Joerger as the replacement for Rick Adelman on Saturday night after the Minnesota-born Grizzlies coach met with team leadership, including owner Glen Taylor, two people with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press.
Joerger, who went 50-32 in his first season as coach of the Grizzlies and helped the team to the seventh seed in the Western Conference playoff field, is still under contract for two more years in Memphis. But owner Robert Pera is believed to be considering a coaching change after he recently fired CEO Jason Levien and director of player personnel Stu Lash, and it remained unclear just how much the Timberwolves want to give to the Grizzlies for a coach many presume could be fired any day.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports reports the same, along with the fact that the two teams have begun to discuss compensation to let Joerger out of his contract in Memphis.
The Grizzlies appear to be swinging for the fences with their next hire, targeting the likes of Jeff Van Gundy. But with so much instability in the front office the past couple of seasons, Memphis needs to get its own house in order before truly strong candidates will begin to consider that organization as a realistic option.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 13
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32