May 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
When reports emerged that the Grizzlies were undergoing a power shakeup in their front office that would see head coach Dave Joerger jettisoned after a successful first season in charge, the Timberwolves were quick to pounce.
After a final meeting with ownership, Minnesota has reportedly decided that Joerger is the man they want to take on their job — one that could include the pressure of winning enough immediately to make Kevin Love reconsider signing a long-term deal to stay.
But that comes later. First, there’s the small matter of Joerger still being under contract with the Grizzlies.
From the Associated Press:
The Timberwolves decided on Joerger as the replacement for Rick Adelman on Saturday night after the Minnesota-born Grizzlies coach met with team leadership, including owner Glen Taylor, two people with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press.
Joerger, who went 50-32 in his first season as coach of the Grizzlies and helped the team to the seventh seed in the Western Conference playoff field, is still under contract for two more years in Memphis. But owner Robert Pera is believed to be considering a coaching change after he recently fired CEO Jason Levien and director of player personnel Stu Lash, and it remained unclear just how much the Timberwolves want to give to the Grizzlies for a coach many presume could be fired any day.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports reports the same, along with the fact that the two teams have begun to discuss compensation to let Joerger out of his contract in Memphis.
The Grizzlies appear to be swinging for the fences with their next hire, targeting the likes of Jeff Van Gundy. But with so much instability in the front office the past couple of seasons, Memphis needs to get its own house in order before truly strong candidates will begin to consider that organization as a realistic option.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49