Lance Stephenson says LeBron’s trash talk in Game 3 is ‘a sign of weakness’

May 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EST

LeBron James, Lance Stephenson LeBron James, Lance Stephenson

Lance Stephenson has made a habit of talking to LeBron James on the court, but for the most part, James has let those words go unrecognized.

In Miami’s Game 3 win over the Pacers, however, James responded early and often. It seemed to begin during the second quarter after he was called for a charge on Stephenson, when LeBron stood over him as he sat on the floor, before shadowing him as closely as possible on the way back down the court.

Stephenson knows just how unusual it is to have James respond to his constant jabbering, and he believes he may have finally cracked the armor of the game’s best player.

From Shandel Richardson of the Miami Sun-Sentinel:

“To me, I think it’s a sign of weakness because he never used to say nothing to me,” Stephenson said. “I always used to be the one who used to be the one that say, `I’m going to get under you. I’m going to do something to get you mad’ Now he’s trying to do it to me. I feel like it’s a weakness.”‘ …

“I’m doing something right and I’m getting under his skin,” Stephenson said. “I definitely have to keep stepping up to the plate and be aggressive when he does that.” …

“One thing I’m not going to do is give y’all a storyline with LeBron and Stephenson,” James said. “I’m not going to do that. It’s the Pacers versus the Heat. I’m not going to get involved in that … I’ve already been involved in a LeBron vs. Stevenson in my playoff career.”

LeBron was of course referring to DeShawn Stevenson, who similarly engaged James when he played for the Cavaliers and DeShawn played for the Wizards during the 2008 season.

James is wise not to get into it with Lance through the media, but as far as responding on the court, a player can only take so much. And as long as it’s not a distraction to LeBron — who finished Game 3 with 26 points on 9-of-14 shooting, to go along with five rebounds, seven assists, four steals and a victory — he can say whatever he wants.

1. campcouch - May 25, 2014 at 7:47 PM

That made no sense. He said LeBron was doing the same thing he does…to get under his skin…and that’s a sign of weakness. So Lance just called himself weak. Hahahaha.

• juicyjwebb - May 25, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Actually no, he’s saying that it’s a sign that LeBron is starting to crack from all the jabs and trash-talking, and that by doing so, it is a sign of weakness that he is responding.

• savvybynature - May 25, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Actually, your comment makes no sense. Lebron is responding, thus Stephenson is winning (in his mind, not that I agree).
      Stephenson has always talked smack, so him continuing to talk smack is not a response to anything by James, and thus not a weakness.

2. mnsadsportsfan - May 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Lance just a quick note you lost that game, your team is down 2-1 in the series, your offense is extremely inconsistent. That my friend is a sign of weakness.

• turnmymicup - May 26, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Exactly. He’s trying to play some mind game with Lebron and is clearly losing the battle. Lance always talks smack so when another player fires back its a weakness? Ridiculous. Not only is Lebron talking back but he’s playing press defense too. Sorry Lance that plan backfired in your face.

3. 1972wasalongtimeago - May 25, 2014 at 8:39 PM

The Bulls and Lance-On-A-Max-Deal are destined to happen, no? And there’s zero chance the Bulls won’t regret it by December.

4. steelerfanforlife - May 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM

No Lebron fan but really Lance?? Best player in the world is not worried about you!

5. wallabear - May 25, 2014 at 9:33 PM

WHO is Lance Stephenson? lol

6. sirreno7 - May 25, 2014 at 9:51 PM

BEING Lance Stephenson is a sign of weakness.. What the ph*k kind of sentence starts with “I always used to be the one who used to be the one that say” ?!? Isn’t that the same thing as simply saying, “I always said” ???

• moppop - May 25, 2014 at 10:51 PM

When have athletes ever been the most eloquent speakers?

• jimeejohnson - May 26, 2014 at 3:59 AM

Mohamed Ali.

• mytthor - May 27, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Or even Muhammad Ali

• spthegr8 - May 26, 2014 at 10:11 AM

^^^ Just who is Mohamed Ali.??? I have heard of Muhammad Ali tho.^^^

7. heat256 - May 25, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Dear Lance,

Please keep poking the bear. It will be glorious to watch him utterly destroy you and show you what greatness is.

Signed,

All basketball fans

8. jimeejohnson - May 26, 2014 at 3:58 AM

CantonPeaBrain’s trash talk’s a sign of a pea brain.

9. jimeejohnson - May 26, 2014 at 4:06 AM

Stephenson’s from Brooklyn. He’s a New Yawk ahole.

10. cwilson6843 - May 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Sorry lance but people just learned of your name. You’re not that good buddy

11. sumkat - May 26, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Last paragraph sums it up perfectly. As long as he can do what he wants on the floor anyway, he can talk all he wants. If an until it starts to have an effect on his play, seems meaningless to me

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches