Stan Van Gundy fires back at Cavaliers owner after he says Pistons should remove ‘Detroit’ from their name
May 24, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Unless you’re a Pistons fan, the best part of having Stan Van Gundy back in the league as the team’s president of basketball operations and head coach is the unabashed way in which he gives his opinions.
Van Gundy fired back at Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, who said in a recent interview that the Pistons should remove “Detroit” from their name because the team actually plays its home games in Auburn Hills.
“Detroit doesn’t have an NBA team, because they’re somewhere 30 miles north of here, right? They’re in Auburn Hills, right?” Gilbert said on “Mojo In The Morning” on 95.5 FM, via 6abc.com (and HoopsHype).
“Dan Gilbert has some selfish interests for saying what he said,” Van Gundy said on 105.1 FM in Detroit. “I think we know what those are. Finally I think he has enough to worry about with his own team than worrying about us.”
Van Gundy’s remarks about “selfish interests” may have to do with Gilbert having invested millions in downtown Detroit. Gilbert also has spoken to Pistons owner Tom Gores “four or five times at the owners meetings,” where he’s brought up the topic about a downtown move, according to The Detroit News. …
“Tom Gores has been involved in the city of Detroit, not just the surrounding area,” Van Gundy said. “There are teams all over the place that carry the name of the city but represent an entire area. Where we play isn’t that much relevance.”
The moral of this little back and forth is simple: Van Gundy has returned, so any slights — perceived or otherwise — will not go unnoticed, or be allowed to slip by without a biting response.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13