Serge Ibaka doesn’t practice with Thunder Saturday; Kevin Durant says ‘we’re preparing like he’s not playing’

May 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Serge Ibaka Serge Ibaka

It was interesting (if not surprising) news that Serge Ibaka, who was initially ruled out of the Western Conference Finals with a calf injury, had his status upgraded to day-to-day on Friday.

But while most of us (the entire Spurs organization included) expect him to play in Sunday’s Game 3, the signs aren’t pointing to that just yet. Ibaka participated in some light workouts out on Saturday, but didn’t practice with the team.

“Just with our coaches,” Thunder head coach Scott Brooks told reporters. “It’s all part of the process with him recovering … He didn’t practice with us, he just worked out just with our coaches.”

Kevin Durant similarly isn’t making any guarantees as far as Ibaka being healthy enough to help his team on Sunday.

“I don’t know what his status is,” Durant said. “I’ve heard some stuff, but I don’t know. But we’re preparing like he’s not playing because that’s what he said before we started the series. We’ve all got to dig deep ourselves and figure out what we have to do, and I think guys have done a great job the last few days.”

Some of this could of course involve a certain amount of gamesmanship, because it’s not like the Thunder need Ibaka to practice with them in order for the rest of the team to feel comfortable with his presence. Ibaka started 81 games for Oklahoma City during the regular season, and averaged 32.9 minutes per contest.

Ibaka’s presence would help the Thunder’s interior defense while giving them an additional option on the offensive floor at the same time, but only if he’s healthy enough to truly make a difference.

Despite the way OKC struggled in the two games that Ibaka was sidelined, he doesn’t believe his absence was the reason for those losses — which perhaps is something he felt the need to convey in case he’s forced out of action once again on Sunday.

“I’ve been hearing a lot of people saying my team lost two games because I was out,” Ibaka said. “It’s not true. It’s not true. I believe in my guys. I believe in my teammates, that they can do better, with me or without me. It’s not an excuse because Serge Ibaka was not there.  t’s just that San Antonio the first two games, they played better basketball. We need to give them a lot of credit. Right now our focus, my teammates and I, is about tomorrow’s game, and I’m sure with me or without me they’re going to do a better job.”

Latest Posts
  1. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court?

Apr 21, 2015, 12:14 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrkyze4nmfkytlhmjnjodc4mjk4mgq0nzixowuwndg2 AP

Pierce’s comments made him unpopular north of the border, but his play should bother the Raptors more.

2. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard

Apr 20, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard

He was simply the most dominant player in Game 1 of the Mavericks vs. Rockets series.

3. Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James

Apr 20, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Charlotte Bobcats - Game Four Getty Images

I could try to use logic and suggest that discussing the complete legacy of Jordan with the incomplete legacy of James is a fool’s errand. But this is the Internet, logic is not always welcome.

4. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge

Apr 20, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT

Kyrie Irving Kyrie Irving

What you want to see as a Boston fan is Smart embrace the challenge.

5. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson

Apr 20, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One

Also, Tyreke Evans is a game-time decision after his injury in the playoff opener.

6. Clippers will rebrand this summer, new potential logos leaked

Apr 20, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT

Screen-shot-2015-04-17-at-10.35.11-PM

The Clippers need a rebranding, but the leaked images are not winning over new fans.

7. Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing

Apr 20, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Memphis Grizzlies - Game One Getty Images

And he’s not the only Portland player worried about Aldridge leaving

8. Dirk Nowitzki trying to fix a working microphone highlight of NBA playoffs so far (video)

Apr 20, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT

Dirk Nowitzki Dirk Nowitzki

And by fix, I mean smashing it and then tossing it aside when that doesn’t work

Can Michael Carter-Williams slow Derrick Rose?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches