May 24, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
The Cavaliers are apparently going to conduct a wide-ranging search for their next head coach, which will be an extremely important hire for the immediate future of the franchise.
Mike Brown failed miserably in his second stint in Cleveland, and was blown out after one year with four more still remaining on his deal. Kyrie Irving is the one superstar the team still has in place, at least for one more season until he can become an unrestricted free agent.
The Cavs can offer Irving an extension before then, but unless a solid head coach is in place who can convince Irving that a realistic long-term plan for winning is in place, there’s no reason for him to forego the opportunity to pursue a better situation.
The latest coaching candidate added to the list may or may not instill that type of confidence.
Los Angeles Clippers assistant Tyronn Lue will interview for the Cleveland Cavaliers’ head-coaching job late next week, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
The Cavaliers had closely examined the college ranks for a head coach, and are now looking at the landscape of NBA assistant coaches and former head coaches. …
In five years as an assistant under coach Doc Rivers with the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Clippers, Lue has developed into one of the NBA’s most well-regarded young head-coaching prospects.
Tyronn Lue is most widely known for being Allen Iverson’s victim in one of the signature highlights of the 2001 NBA Finals.
It’s tough to see the Cavaliers going with an unproven head coach this time around, given all that’s at stake. Of the names that have been floated, Alvin Gentry seems to be the best, and Vinny Del Negro might be the worst.
Lue lands somewhere in between, but again, you’d be risking Irving’s future on a first-time head coach — which may not ultimately be the wisest of decisions.
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 3
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 20
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 7
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 62
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4