May 24, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
For a coach with a winning percentage of .533, whose teams have never been below .500, who won 56 the last season he coached, the idea of hiring Vinny Del Negro generally elicits groans.
With good reason, while guys play for him his offenses have been simplistic, his comments vapid and his teams have done better under the coaches that followed him (granted, those coaches were Tom Thibodeau and Doc Rivers).
Now it’s Cavaliers fans time to groan.
Del Negro is among those getting an interview for the Cleveland job, reports Sam Amick of the USA Today.
Del Negro is considered a long shot behind Alvin Gentry (who worked with Cavs GM David Griffin in Phoenix) and popular assistant Adrian Griffin.
But Del Negro interviews well and charms owners. Donald Sterling loved him and only fired him because Chris Paul pressured him to.
Cavs fans can hope that this is just another interview, one to provide a little balance with the guys they actually want.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 0
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10