May 24, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
For a coach with a winning percentage of .533, whose teams have never been below .500, who won 56 the last season he coached, the idea of hiring Vinny Del Negro generally elicits groans.
With good reason, while guys play for him his offenses have been simplistic, his comments vapid and his teams have done better under the coaches that followed him (granted, those coaches were Tom Thibodeau and Doc Rivers).
Now it’s Cavaliers fans time to groan.
Del Negro is among those getting an interview for the Cleveland job, reports Sam Amick of the USA Today.
Del Negro is considered a long shot behind Alvin Gentry (who worked with Cavs GM David Griffin in Phoenix) and popular assistant Adrian Griffin.
But Del Negro interviews well and charms owners. Donald Sterling loved him and only fired him because Chris Paul pressured him to.
Cavs fans can hope that this is just another interview, one to provide a little balance with the guys they actually want.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 7
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8