May 24, 2014, 12:50 AM EST
For a coach with a winning percentage of .533, whose teams have never been below .500, who won 56 the last season he coached, the idea of hiring Vinny Del Negro generally elicits groans.
With good reason, while guys play for him his offenses have been simplistic, his comments vapid and his teams have done better under the coaches that followed him (granted, those coaches were Tom Thibodeau and Doc Rivers).
Now it’s Cavaliers fans time to groan.
Del Negro is among those getting an interview for the Cleveland job, reports Sam Amick of the USA Today.
Del Negro is considered a long shot behind Alvin Gentry (who worked with Cavs GM David Griffin in Phoenix) and popular assistant Adrian Griffin.
But Del Negro interviews well and charms owners. Donald Sterling loved him and only fired him because Chris Paul pressured him to.
Cavs fans can hope that this is just another interview, one to provide a little balance with the guys they actually want.
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 0
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 6
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30