May 24, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
For a coach with a winning percentage of .533, whose teams have never been below .500, who won 56 the last season he coached, the idea of hiring Vinny Del Negro generally elicits groans.
With good reason, while guys play for him his offenses have been simplistic, his comments vapid and his teams have done better under the coaches that followed him (granted, those coaches were Tom Thibodeau and Doc Rivers).
Now it’s Cavaliers fans time to groan.
Del Negro is among those getting an interview for the Cleveland job, reports Sam Amick of the USA Today.
Cavs scheduling coaching interviews soon. In addition to Alvin Gentry, Adrian Griffin, others, V. Del Negro also still expected to interview—
Sam Amick (@sam_amick) May 24, 2014
Del Negro is considered a long shot behind Alvin Gentry (who worked with Cavs GM David Griffin in Phoenix) and popular assistant Adrian Griffin.
But Del Negro interviews well and charms owners. Donald Sterling loved him and only fired him because Chris Paul pressured him to.
Cavs fans can hope that this is just another interview, one to provide a little balance with the guys they actually want.
- Report: Tracy McGrady works out with Kobe, eyes return to NBA 0
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 5
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14