May 24, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
The Mavericks took the Spurs to seven games in the first round of the playoffs before being blown out in the deciding game of the series, and it’s a feat that looks more and more impressive the further that San Antonio advances through the postseason.
With Dallas out of the picture, Mark Cuban has taken a rooting interest in the Spurs the rest of the way. But his reasons, as you might imagine, aren’t exactly altruistic.
“I want San Antonio to win,” Cuban said on 105.3 The Fan’s “Ben and Skin Show” on Friday. “I want Tim Duncan to hit a game-winning shot to win Game 7, then go to the Finals, do the exact same thing, hit a game-winning shot in Game 7, run down the tunnel, never to be seen from again.
“I want him to retire on the spot. I hope he gets that last ring and it’s all the incentive he needs to retire.”
Duncan and the Spurs, of course, have been in the way of Cuban’s Mavericks on multiple occasions during San Antonio’s current reign of terror, which is now in its 17th consecutive season.
The Spurs may in fact win the title, and Duncan may indeed consider retirement, as he’s only under contract through the end of this season, with a player option he can exercise for the next one if he chooses.
All of that would be thrilling news as far as Cuban is concerned, but only because it could theoretically make things easier for his beloved Mavericks.
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 4
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 30
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 10
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 34