Mark Cuban hopes Spurs win the championship so Tim Duncan retires

May 24, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Mark Cuban, Peter Holt Mark Cuban, Peter Holt

The Mavericks took the Spurs to seven games in the first round of the playoffs before being blown out in the deciding game of the series, and it’s a feat that looks more and more impressive the further that San Antonio advances through the postseason.

With Dallas out of the picture, Mark Cuban has taken a rooting interest in the Spurs the rest of the way. But his reasons, as you might imagine, aren’t exactly altruistic.

From Tim MacMahon of ESPN Dallas:

“I want San Antonio to win,” Cuban said on 105.3 The Fan’s “Ben and Skin Show” on Friday. “I want Tim Duncan to hit a game-winning shot to win Game 7, then go to the Finals, do the exact same thing, hit a game-winning shot in Game 7, run down the tunnel, never to be seen from again.

“I want him to retire on the spot. I hope he gets that last ring and it’s all the incentive he needs to retire.”

Duncan and the Spurs, of course, have been in the way of Cuban’s Mavericks on multiple occasions during San Antonio’s current reign of terror, which is now in its 17th consecutive season.

The Spurs may in fact win the title, and Duncan may indeed consider retirement, as he’s only under contract through the end of this season, with a player option he can exercise for the next one if he chooses.

All of that would be thrilling news as far as Cuban is concerned, but only because it could theoretically make things easier for his beloved Mavericks.

1. sportsfan18 - May 24, 2014 at 9:43 AM

AS great as Duncan is, he’s underrated…

Better career than Kobe…

The Big Fundamental…

• shaab23 - May 24, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Agreed – TD would make any team an instant title contender (regardless of the rest of the roster); same can’t be said for anyone else in the last 20 years save Shaq and Lebron.

• apkyletexas - May 24, 2014 at 1:28 PM

No, we’ve seen many years where the Spurs didn’t have the right complimentary pieces for Duncan, and although the teams got to the playoffs, they weren’t true title contenders. The entire Richard Jefferson era was that way, as was the early 2000′s before Manu arrived as the slashing forward who could finally replace the constantly injured Sean Elliott. If you put Duncan on Orlando or Philadelphia or Milwaukee tomorrow, I don’t think they would be contenders. Even a lot of the playoff teams – for example I don’t really see what he would do for Portland, and the Clippers probably wouldn’t have room for him, and Houston wouldn’t seem to know how to use him.

But – put him on Miami and then you could win a couple more titles quick, even if you lost Bosh and Wade never regained his full health. And I think OK City would figure out how to use him to their advantage.

• shaab23 - May 24, 2014 at 1:42 PM

apkyletexas – just to clarify; i was talking about Duncan in his prime years…not now of course.

• shaab23 - May 24, 2014 at 11:49 AM

and MJ )))

• urodaddy07 - May 24, 2014 at 1:57 PM

I agree Tim Duncan is great, and under-rated, and I’m a big TD fan but the Spurs teams he’s been on that have won championships have had Robinson, then Parker with a bunch of other good to great players. I’m not saying Kobe hasn’t had great team mates, but as an individual player I wouldn’t put Tim Duncan ahead of him. Also, I think if Cuban believes that his team would beat the Spurs without TD he’s sadly mistaken.

2. eechaze - May 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Uhm think you’re comparing two different kinds of player. You have to be more specific.

3. 1historian - May 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM

As great as Duncan is it still takes a good organization that identifies the right players to play next to him – to compliment him – and goes out and gets them year after year.

I’d love to see the Pacers win but if they don’t I like the Spurs.

• rawgator06 - May 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM

lets recap: I am jealous and hate the idea of the Heat three-peating.
      What, if the pacer and spurs dont win, do you hope the thunder win?

• sportsfan18 - May 27, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Anybody BUT the Heat…

4. fanofthegame79 - May 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM

No. I want the Heat to win – be one of only three teams to threepeat (correct me if I’m wrong) and one of only two teams to make it to the Finals four straight years. That’s history! I love watching history unfold. Besides, I don’t want Duncan to retire yet. The NBA will be a little odd without mainstays like Duncan, KG, Kobe, etc. so I want to hold on a little more.

• iritian - May 24, 2014 at 11:34 AM

The Celtics did it twice (10 straight with Bill Russell and 4 with Larry Bird) and the showtime Lakers did it in the early 80′s. So that would be 3 teams already without counting the Heat IF they make it.

• swilldawg37 - May 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM

The Celtics won 3 championships in the 80′s and they didn’t 3peat neither did the Lakers until the early 2000′s.

• iritian - May 24, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I wasn’t talking about 3peats, i was talking about teams with 4 straight finals appearances.

• coldpenny - May 24, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Jordan’s Bulls pulled of 2 three-peats, 91-93 and 96-98 which included the 72 win season which will never be topped!

• fanofthegame79 - May 24, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Sorry, I should have said franchises.

5. bucrightoff - May 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM

What I love watching about Duncan now is how good he is without the ball. He is a vital part of keeping the motion in the Spurs offense because he’s probably the best in the league at setting the high screen and setting back screens to free up shooters. He may not be the focus of the offense anymore but it doesn’t run nearly as well without him doing the little things very well.

• sportsfan18 - May 24, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Duncan… and Pop and the rest of the gang understand the game, what they are trying to do.

Duncan doesn’t waste any motion. He knows what needs to be done when he sees certain things the offense is doing when he is on defense.

When the Spurs have the ball, Duncan recognizes what needs to be done, setting a screen and he times it just right, knows which side to set the screen towards based on who has the ball (Manu, Tony and where the rest of the defense is).

My point is that what happens is not just an accident. Duncan is not just “lucking” into good things happening out there on the court.

One reason I say this is that Duncan has continued to play well and thrive as he’s lost some athleticism due to aging (Father Time). He adjusts, does what is needed and necessary to get the job done.

From the time most players come into the league their first season, through their peak years and then into their sunset years in the league 35, 37, 38 yrs old like Duncan is now, his PER as been REMARKABLY CONSISTENT.

Normally when a player has been in the league several years and is in his prime at like 27, 28 yrs old, he’s really tearing it up (well, the very good players but I’m referring to those who are on Duncan’s level).

But Duncan hasn’t really fallen off. Yes, his min’s have been reduced but he’s still effective on teh court for the min’s he plays. His PER from his 1st season to now has been so consistent, not big swings or a spike up and then back down as he aged.

YR in league & PER

1st 22.6
      2nd 23.2
      3rd 24.8
      4th 23.8
      5th 27.0
      6th 26.9
      7th 27.1
      8th 27.0
      9th 23.1
      10th 26.1
      11th 24.4
      12th 24.4 (yes, the same)
      13th 24.7
      14th 21.9
      15th 22.5
      16th 24.4
      17th 21.3

Where as others have gone from PER’s of 14, 17, 18 up to 28 and then further back down…

The Big Fundamental hasn’t let being an older player get in the way of his productivity (just total min’s played is all).

6. mackcarrington - May 24, 2014 at 11:35 AM

There are a number of teams that I do not have a clue who their owner is. Or never heard them speak.
    For a man whose team isn’t even playing right now, he manages to make headline news every opportunity he gets.

7. kghane - May 24, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I really want my Heatles to 3peat…but seeing Duncan capture 1 more before he retired would be legendary. Sure, I’d be upset, especially if they were to beat my favorite team, but I just admire Timmy & the whole Spurs organization so much. They are the definition of consistency & exemplify the purest form of basketball I’ve ever witnessed. We may not even see a team like this ever again, so I’m just basking in the moment for now.

• jimeejohnson - May 24, 2014 at 6:34 PM

You’re no New Yawk hater: we all wish we didn’t know a certain Knicks (suck) fan who would never, ever, wish another team well, especially if they were competing against each other. Thank you for your positive attitude. Ain’t not time to hate.

8. earthmont - May 24, 2014 at 2:22 PM

kghane, I think you said it all. There will never be a team like the Spurs. There will never be a team captain like Duncan.

9. jimeejohnson - May 24, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Mark Cuban will never be politically correct. How can you not like him?

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches