Joel Embiid throws down dunks in workout (VIDEO)

May 24, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

You can’t take away too much from this video alone — “Hey, look, the 7’0″ guy can dunk when not guarded!”

But Joel Embiid did impress at his workout in Los Angeles the last few days. To the point that his back looked healthy and a lot of scouts moved him back up to the No. 1 slot.

Of course, based on last year’s precedent, predicting who the Cavaliers will take No. 1 is a fool’s errand.

But we do know Embiid can dunk, we have video proof.

(Hat tip to SLAM and City League Hoops for the video.)

1. denverhoopdreams - May 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM

That all-around game and athleticism. Definitely a top 3. I would have the hardest time choosing a #1 over all this year.

2. antistratfordian - May 24, 2014 at 6:44 PM

I’d let someone else take a chance on him. A history of stress fractures is a strong predictor of future stress fractures, or so I read.

3. ranfan12 - May 24, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Holding out I see. Need to throw down a windmill lol.

4. asimonetti88 - May 24, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Man, he is a big kid! He barely has to jump to get it in there! I only saw a few games of him, but considering he Doesn’t have the long basketball experience of many other prospects, he has good instincts and should be a solid player in the NBA.

5. saint1997 - May 24, 2014 at 6:50 PM

His mobility and grace when moving around the floor is the greatest demonstration of his high ceiling. I can’t think of a 7 footer who busted out with that kind of touch and footwork

• 00maltliquor - May 25, 2014 at 3:09 AM

His name was Hakeem Olajuwon.

• saint1997 - May 26, 2014 at 5:35 AM

sorry mate you misread what I wrote – when i said “busted out” i meant was a bust. I’m saying i don’t believe with that touch he could be a bust. Still agree with you on the comparison

6. ProBasketballPundit - May 24, 2014 at 7:22 PM

For a guy getting compared to Hakeem and more recently Serge Ibaka, he sure does look slow. None of those leaps or spins would be possible against speedy NBA defenders. But I’ve never watched him in a game so I might be wrong.

• JMClarkent - May 25, 2014 at 3:50 PM

If he were playing 2-guard, I would agree 100%. Against most guys in the 6’11 and above range, he’ll be a pain.

7. campcouch - May 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Really,using a SLAM Magazine video as a reference. If you “read” SLAM,all it has are pics of dunks,bling and rappers. They don’t exactly cater to fundamentals or jumpers. I’d take a wing player over him. Cavs should re-sign Spencer Hawes and let Thompson continue to develop. There aren’t many big men carrying a team to the title. Duncan is solid,but he’s also blessed to have some great players alongside him,Howard is home again,so is Aldridge,Griff,Drummond,Gasol (both),Z-Bo,Jefferson,Dirk,Garnett and so on. Roy Hibbert pouted because they signed Bynum who played all of two games,Bosh is shooting 3s. It’s a 1-2-3 league,shoot the SFs are bigger than the PFs anyways! Wiggins or Parker,not Embiid.

• sasquash20 - May 25, 2014 at 12:03 AM

League goes in cycles in terms of big men. We have a good crop of young bigs like Davis, maybe Cousins, and now add a Embiid maybe. Big men will always have a impact, especially the great bigs. Not saying Embiid is great now but potentially maybe. I really dont see how people could put Wiggins or Parker out there as stone cold locks. They are in the same boat as Embiid in terms of question marks and red flags, for me at least. I just my Sixers get it right whenever they pick. Man its been a tough decade plus.

8. derekd81 - May 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Darko Milicic moved that well in his Euro videos.

9. fm31970 - May 24, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Greg Oden’s knees were great when he was drafted, too.

Please, please, PLEASE Cleveland, draft him #1 so the Bucks can’t take him at #2.

• sasquash20 - May 25, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Not at all. 1 side of Oden was a inch longer then the other. But with his size and defense Portland didnt care.

10. thundercocck - May 24, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Kwame Brown looked good enough to be #1 too.

11. harshedmellow - May 25, 2014 at 1:47 AM

What’s funny is, with 3 young overall #1′s in the house after this draft, Cleveland is under a lot of pressure to get this right. I mean Kyrie is 22, and he’s the old #1! If they can’t put together a monster after this kind of luck in the draft, they deserve to suffer.

12. 00maltliquor - May 25, 2014 at 3:13 AM

Please don’t tell me this was the highlight of THE workout that got everyone into a frenzy.

13. phluffyclouds - May 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM

People are impressed by a 7’0 basketball player dunking?

Sorry, but if I’m Cleveland, I’d take Wiggins or Parker.. Hope they pick Embid and he’s a bust. He’s not a “sure thing” like Wiggins and Parker but everyone gets caught up in his ‘potential’… With the #1 pick you take the sure thing.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches