May 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Using the words “concussion” and “caught a break” in the same sentence is uncomfortable, but…
If the Pacers caught a break with Paul George’s concussion it’s that there were four days between games, more time for George to heal and pass the league mandated concussion protocol. The Pacers think he will, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
George did not go through a full practice on Thursday, he wore a red no-contact red vest and only took part in some shooting drills. However, coach Frank Vogel said that George had started the protocols to be cleared to play. Those involve passing some mental agility tests (off his previously set baseline) after increasing levels of exertion.
The Pacers and Heat are tied 1-1 with Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals set for Saturday night in Miami. Indiana has played good defense through most of the first two games, but it needs to find more consistent scoring — without George that likely is impossible. Through two games he has 38 points on 11-of-27 (40.7) percent shooting — the Pacers can’t afford not to have him and his shot creation skills.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 4
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 5
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 4
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 61
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 68
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30