May 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Using the words “concussion” and “caught a break” in the same sentence is uncomfortable, but…
If the Pacers caught a break with Paul George’s concussion it’s that there were four days between games, more time for George to heal and pass the league mandated concussion protocol. The Pacers think he will, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
George did not go through a full practice on Thursday, he wore a red no-contact red vest and only took part in some shooting drills. However, coach Frank Vogel said that George had started the protocols to be cleared to play. Those involve passing some mental agility tests (off his previously set baseline) after increasing levels of exertion.
The Pacers and Heat are tied 1-1 with Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals set for Saturday night in Miami. Indiana has played good defense through most of the first two games, but it needs to find more consistent scoring — without George that likely is impossible. Through two games he has 38 points on 11-of-27 (40.7) percent shooting — the Pacers can’t afford not to have him and his shot creation skills.
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 0
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 1
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 6
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8