May 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Using the words “concussion” and “caught a break” in the same sentence is uncomfortable, but…
If the Pacers caught a break with Paul George’s concussion it’s that there were four days between games, more time for George to heal and pass the league mandated concussion protocol. The Pacers think he will, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
There's an increasing confidence around Pacers that Paul George will meet benchmarks of NBA's concussion protocol before Game 3 on Saturday.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) May 23, 2014
George did not go through a full practice on Thursday, he wore a red no-contact red vest and only took part in some shooting drills. However, coach Frank Vogel said that George had started the protocols to be cleared to play. Those involve passing some mental agility tests (off his previously set baseline) after increasing levels of exertion.
The Pacers and Heat are tied 1-1 with Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals set for Saturday night in Miami. Indiana has played good defense through most of the first two games, but it needs to find more consistent scoring — without George that likely is impossible. Through two games he has 38 points on 11-of-27 (40.7) percent shooting — the Pacers can’t afford not to have him and his shot creation skills.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23