May 23, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
I predict all three will stay – either by continuing their current contracts or exercising their early-termination options then re-signing. Better-informed sources share the same opinion.
Mostly, though, I’ll be surprised because some of those closest to him will be surprised. That includes his teammates, those with whom he’s spent most of his time for the past eight months, those with whom he tends to communicate most freely. They haven’t wanted to touch this topic on the record, at least not honestly and completely, but some have privately pooh-poohed—even eye-rolled—the “leaving” chatter for months. They continued to do so even after Cleveland won the lottery on Tuesday.
No, James won’t talk about his future to the prying press, from Miami, New York or otherwise, and that’s been for the best so far.
But I wouldn’t surprised if he’s said something to some of those in his locker room who seem so sure.
When LeBron left Cleveland in 2010, his teammate Mo Williams sure seemed caught off guard. I bet he wasn’t the only one. Teammates, though sometimes in position to know, are not perfect analyzers of these situations. They’re very close to the situation, which can lead to better information, but also skew their view.
We must also accept LeBron might not know yet what he’ll do. Even if he thinks he has a plan for this summer, things could happen between now and the end of the postseason to change his mind.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10