May 23, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
I predict all three will stay – either by continuing their current contracts or exercising their early-termination options then re-signing. Better-informed sources share the same opinion.
Mostly, though, I’ll be surprised because some of those closest to him will be surprised. That includes his teammates, those with whom he’s spent most of his time for the past eight months, those with whom he tends to communicate most freely. They haven’t wanted to touch this topic on the record, at least not honestly and completely, but some have privately pooh-poohed—even eye-rolled—the “leaving” chatter for months. They continued to do so even after Cleveland won the lottery on Tuesday.
No, James won’t talk about his future to the prying press, from Miami, New York or otherwise, and that’s been for the best so far.
But I wouldn’t surprised if he’s said something to some of those in his locker room who seem so sure.
When LeBron left Cleveland in 2010, his teammate Mo Williams sure seemed caught off guard. I bet he wasn’t the only one. Teammates, though sometimes in position to know, are not perfect analyzers of these situations. They’re very close to the situation, which can lead to better information, but also skew their view.
We must also accept LeBron might not know yet what he’ll do. Even if he thinks he has a plan for this summer, things could happen between now and the end of the postseason to change his mind.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20