May 23, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
I predict all three will stay – either by continuing their current contracts or exercising their early-termination options then re-signing. Better-informed sources share the same opinion.
Mostly, though, I’ll be surprised because some of those closest to him will be surprised. That includes his teammates, those with whom he’s spent most of his time for the past eight months, those with whom he tends to communicate most freely. They haven’t wanted to touch this topic on the record, at least not honestly and completely, but some have privately pooh-poohed—even eye-rolled—the “leaving” chatter for months. They continued to do so even after Cleveland won the lottery on Tuesday.
No, James won’t talk about his future to the prying press, from Miami, New York or otherwise, and that’s been for the best so far.
But I wouldn’t surprised if he’s said something to some of those in his locker room who seem so sure.
When LeBron left Cleveland in 2010, his teammate Mo Williams sure seemed caught off guard. I bet he wasn’t the only one. Teammates, though sometimes in position to know, are not perfect analyzers of these situations. They’re very close to the situation, which can lead to better information, but also skew their view.
We must also accept LeBron might not know yet what he’ll do. Even if he thinks he has a plan for this summer, things could happen between now and the end of the postseason to change his mind.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30