Nerlens Noel confirms he will make debut at Summer League

May 23, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT

Nerlens Noel AP

Here’s another reason to go to Orlando in July. Actually, maybe the only good reason to go to Orlando in July, unless you like crowds and humidity.

Nerlens Noel is going to make his professional debut at the Orlando Summer League.

That’s what he told Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe, and what Sixers GM Sam Hinkie basically confirmed.

The Sixers play in the Orlando Summer League from July 5-11. Last year they also participated in the Las Vegas Summer League that immediately followed it, but their participation this summer in Vegas has yet to be confirmed.

The Sixers are going to be interesting at Summer League playing Noel and two lottery picks.

Come next regular season they will have the wily veteran Michael Carter-Williams (in his second season, he could play Summer League) leading all those rookies. Plus Thaddeus Young (unless they can trade him). They are not going to win a lot of games, but they will be interesting.

1. whealy86 - May 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I have a gut feeling that Sixers will end up being the thunder of the east in a few years. They won’t have a Durant but with 4 lottery picks in the last two years , five second rounders this year and a probable trade of Thad young this team has a young nucleus they will only add too via free agents or picks. Of course Hinkie can’t afford to botch any of the picks he has because there the building block of the franchise. I have total faith for the first time in over 10 years in the front office and what ever direction Hinkie decides to move in I’m ok with. Just think a year ago this time we all excepted a 7 or 8 seed with Holliday running the show , and now we have hope that sixers can gather a championship caliber team. What a difference a year makes. It’s still early to say but I really believe last years trade is the best trade this franchise has ever made.

• duhwighthoward - May 23, 2014 at 1:41 PM

After fifteen years, can you still call it rebuilding?

• tcclark - May 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM

They were in the Finals 13 years ago. They haven’t been championship relavant in the past 10 years, but I wouldn’t say they’ve been rebuilding for 15 years. They were one game away from the ECF 2 years ago.

2. phillytruth - May 23, 2014 at 12:38 PM

The sixers will be fun to watch like the warriors when Donnie coached them

3. bronx77 - May 23, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I’m starting to really like how Philly is looking. I’m just a casual fan that really has no true team to root for. I’ve had a thing for the nuggets because I was born their. But I am liking what these 76ers may look like in a couple years

4. moseskkim - May 23, 2014 at 2:00 PM

imagine a healthy noel and embiid. scary. probably need a wiggins or parker more though

5. afraz89 - May 23, 2014 at 2:45 PM

#SixersDoe

6. mungman69 - May 23, 2014 at 7:40 PM

So far I’m impressed with what Sam has done. There is still a loooong way to go.

7. mydoghasfleez - May 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Sixers are good at signing “great” players who can’t play any games the first year.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches