Skip to content

NBA says it will continue process to terminate ownership interests in Clippers in response to latest Sterling reports

May 23, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

When reports emerged that Donald Sterling would allow his wife Shelly to oversee and negotiate a forced sale of the Clippers, we knew it wouldn’t take the NBA very long to respond.

And essentially, the news doesn’t change anything as far as the league is concerned.

“We continue to follow the process set forth in the NBA Constitution regarding termination of the current ownership interests in the Los Angeles Clippers and are proceeding toward a hearing on this matter on June 3,” said NBA spokesman Mike Bass in an official release.

Commissioner Adam Silver seemed open to the possibility of Sterling selling the team on his own when he addressed the media prior to the Draft Lottery in New York earlier this week.

“Well, I’ll only say that Mr. Sterling still owns the Los Angeles Clippers,” Silver said, in response to a question about whether or not there might be an opportunity for he and Sterling to hash it out man-to-man. “Mrs. Sterling as I understand it through a trust owns 50 percent of the team, as well. It is their team to sell, and so he knows what the league’s point of view is, and so I’m sure if he wanted to sell the team on some reasonable timetable, I’d prefer he sell it than we go through this process. So if that’s what you mean by man‑to‑man, I’m open to that.”

That may still be a possibility, and as Silver mentioned, it would certainly be better for that to take place than for the league to take a financial and public relations hit by being forced into a time-consuming battle through the courts.

But what’s important is that despite reports that Sterling is in fact interested in selling the team on his own by using his wife as a proxy, it doesn’t change the league’s position, and it won’t for a second deter the NBA from continuing in its process to force Sterling out.

  1. thekingdave - May 23, 2014 at 3:42 PM

    Report: NBA will skin five crackers to make sure all loose ends are covered in Sterling fiasco

  2. jollyjoker2 - May 23, 2014 at 10:59 PM

    I think this guy has some good legal maneuvering. Now, its damages against the NBA for stripping a owner who didn’t cause the issue.

  3. gdeli - May 23, 2014 at 11:07 PM

    I will be very surprised if Sterling sells the team on his own. it’s force with a guy like that. He’ll probably jjust dig in. It’s another slap in the face to black people. Stupid ,slow process.

  4. jerdogthompson - May 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM

    For those calling this a travesty, an injustice, etc……need to get a grip on reality. Although, I recognize that less than 5% of those people actually “care” about those things and the other 95% are people that are just interested in seeing the Clippers suffer or wish the players leave and join their team (mostly Laker fans).

    Look, the league will force the sale period. I’ve been saying this since day one and the latest “legal maneuver” as some are calling it need to do some more research. There is reports that are verified that Shelly will be charged by the NBA for conspiring to destroy evidence and tamper with witnesses. So go ahead and keep dreaming about this thing being dragged out, I wouldn’t hold my breath though. You can stick a fork in this one. Mark my words.

    #InDocwetrust

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Featured video

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. K. Bryant (4385)
  2. B. Lopez (4189)
  3. N. Noel (4028)
  4. J. Lin (3990)
  5. V. Oladipo (3948)