May 22, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Charles Barkley is having a ridiculous round of insults with San Antonio fans. Barkley was being Barkley and said, “There’s some big ‘ol women down there… That’s a gold mine for Weight Watchers.” He said he was joking around, some fans are heckling him, and the entire thing has the maturity of a Jerry Springer show. Follow those links if you really care and want to read more.
• Interim Clippers CEO Dick Parsons said he played college basketball at Hawaii… except he didn’t. I’m not sure why this matters any more than what Barkley says about the fine people of San Antonio.
• Al Horford will not play for the Dominican Republic this summer as he continues to recover from a torn pectoral muscle. However, he should be good to go for Hawks training camp next fall.
• I’m pretty sure Horford couldn’t pull of this backflip off the backboard dunk.
• Former NBA player Casey Jacobsen has retired. He had been playing in Europe the past several years.
• The NBA talks a good game about being environmentally friendly, but it’s carbon footprint is massive.
• This is a little bit old and you need to pay for ESPN Insider, but this is a fascinating look at how the Sports VU cameras in arenas and a company called Catapult that tracks player movements at practices are teaming up to provide teams some interesting data.
• Also a little older, and about a baseball wife, but this look at the life of a professional sports wife is interesting.
• Kevin Johnson is representing the NBA players union in the Donald Sterling fiasco, but Johnson’s background is not exactly squeaky clean.
• Finally, somebody got an impressive and rather large Kobe Bryant tattoo.
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 0
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 20
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89