May 22, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Good news, Lakers fans.
Sometimes, teams with coaching vacancies keep their candidates closely guarded until they’ve selected a favorite. Only then will the public hear about the preferred choice, often through a leaked report about the top candidate interviewing or negotiating or going through some other step in the process.
But that’s not the case with the Lakers and Mike Dunleavy. Los Angeles is interviewing other candidates and not hiding it.
According to a person familiar with the interview said Kupchak has also talked to Byron Scott
“I mean, it is true, I did interview with the Lakers. I talked to Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss and had a great time talking with those guys. Obviously I go way back with Mitch, teammates for a while and won a couple of championships together, so it was good. That’s basically all I can tell you. It was good, I had a lot of fun talking to them. Hopefully we’ll be talking again soon and we’ll see what happens.”
Dunleavy might be stale, but Scott isn’t expiring inspiring himself. Not having to settle for Dunleavy isn’t such a great outcome if Scott is the alternative.
Scott guided the Nets to back-to-back NBA Finals, had a down-and-up-and-down tenure in New Orleans and then struggled in Cleveland. Is he trending downward – perhaps seeing his coaching skills go out of date as the NBA evolves – or is he a good coach who had bad players recently?
As usual, the truth probably sits between. Scott is not as good a coach as he appeared to be with the Nets and not as bad as he appeared to be with the Cavaliers.
But the Lakers can probably do better than a coach who falls in the middle of that spectrum, even if they give the benefit of the doubt to a former player. There’s plenty of time for them to get there.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48