Report: Kevin Garnett expected to return to Nets for one more season

May 22, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT

Game 2 between the Brooklyn Nets against the Miami Heat 05/08/2014 AP

I can give you 12 million reasons Kevin Garnett will return to the Brooklyn Nets next season.

Okay, it’s more than just that, I imagine the way the season went and with it ending at the hands of LeBron James and the Miami Heat didn’t sit well, he’d like another shot. Watching him try to coach on the sidelines in the playoffs you can tell he still has a passion for the game.

Still, there were some reports he would potentially retire after this season, especially after he struggled in the postseason.

Don’t bet on that reports the New York Post (hat tip Eye on Basketball).

Still, all indications have been — despite the drop in production this season — Garnett will be back in Brooklyn for what would be the 20th season of his stellar NBA career. The fact is $12 million is an awful lot of money – no matter how much you’ve made in the past – and after playing much, much better over the final few months of the season, it would be easy to see Garnett agreeing to rejoin Pierce for one final season in Brooklyn before riding off into the sunset next summer.

So, how do you use KG next year?

He struggled playing the four yearly in the season next to Brook Lopez, shooting 36.4 percent in the team’s first 31 games. But after Lopez went down for the season with an injury and Garnett had to move over to the five in a small-ball lineup, he thrived shooting 55 percent.

Brook Lopez will be back next season, so how does coach Jason Kidd put both of them in position to thrive next year? Kidd has some work to do next season.

1. blackhercules718 - May 22, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Remind me again….. What is the definition of insanity?

• sportsfan18 - May 22, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Playing with bad knees that require a lot of work, effort, commitment and pain to get ready and stay able to play for $12 million when you have ALREADY earned $315 million in your career just from salary on the court alone…

He’s talked about the pain he goes through, how difficult it is for him to prepare and to be ready to take the court…

His decision though and I don’t think he’s complaining.

He’s had a heck of a career. I hope he’s able to get through next year without any real damage being done to his legs, knees that will affect him later in his life…

The Nets don’t have a chance next season for anything special as KG doesn’t play to simply make the playoffs at this age and they have no realistic shot at contending, I mean REALLY contending so he isn’t coming back to play for a championship or the money…

Guess he loves the game and I can’t blame him.

If he didn’t play he’d always wonder later about it. Better to play next year and then retire knowing he no longer is able to compete at that level.

Now, if he comes back next season and just stinks the joint up, I hope he’ll decide to pick a game (not sure when they play in Boston) to make his last game and then retire during the season IF it’s evident he needs to.

He does NOT need to stick around for the season just because he began it if he doesn’t have it.

• spursareold - May 23, 2014 at 8:21 AM

I don’t care how much money he’s made, no one is going to leave $12M on the table.

2. maf586 - May 22, 2014 at 7:44 PM

kg back up center to Lopez, Blatche will opt out and likely sign longer term deal elsewhere since his amnesty money is almost up . Plumlee will get a lot of minutes when kg has rest games. Paul pierce will be the first starter to be pulled and then play with Garnett and the 2nd unit for some minutes.
    The questions aren’t directed at kg pierce or Kidd, it’s whether or not d will and Lopez will remain healthy.

3. readysethike - May 22, 2014 at 8:50 PM

great competitor…it’ll be weird to not hear his name anymore. 1st Ballot Hall of Fame

4. csbanter - May 22, 2014 at 9:32 PM

With no money to sign any free agents, Deron Williams coming back from ankle surgery, Lopez foot surgery. Pierce and Garnett NBA version of AARP, what is there to look forward to if you’re a BK Nets fan. Oh did I add Shaun Livingston will probably leave via free agency.

• 00maltliquor - May 22, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Who cares. I mean I like me some Shaun Livingston but players like him are a dime a dozen.

• sportsfan18 - May 23, 2014 at 12:38 AM

What do you have to look forward to you ask?

2019… or maybe 2020…

5. 00maltliquor - May 23, 2014 at 2:56 AM

I love to hate on KG but for real, deep down, when he leaves, a part of me will be somewhat sad. Just one more player from my youth out the league. Hang on Kobe, Fish, KG, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Spurs core roster (lol), Dirk, and a handful of others! I’m not ready to let goooo!

• naterich21 - May 23, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Floppy fish doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as hall of famers

6. 00maltliquor - May 23, 2014 at 3:00 AM

I remember when I used to buy basketball cards there was (maybe still is) this magazine called Beckett that had the prices of all the cards from all different card brands and years. The first Beckett I bought had a drawing/painting? of KG dunking during his rookie year.

• elcaminobilly - May 23, 2014 at 5:43 AM

Beckett is still around but has pretty much given up on articles.

I will not be happy when KG leaves. I discovered the sport’s existence in February 1995, during his rookie season. He’s the last player left who was playing in the NBA before I discovered it. I’ve literally never experienced the NBA without Kevin Garnett in it (live, anyway, I’ve watched plenty of older footage but it’s not the same as seeing it live)

7. rodge1 - May 23, 2014 at 6:49 AM

Would be funny if Brooklyn traded him back to Minnesota.

8. fanofthegame79 - May 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM

For the love of the game, that’s the only reason I can imagine him coming back. He doesn’t need the money. He has a championship. There’s not much, if anything, left for him to do in the NBA. The Nets will not be contenders next year (true contenders) so it seems like it will be an empty season.

9. bknowledge - May 23, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Prokorov could offer him a 2 year 15 million dollar coaching/scouting contact if he were to retire?
    (Garnett’s luxury tax alone will be more than that next year.)

If Garnett stays, I would try starting him (or Plumlee) and bringing Brook Lopez off the bench (playing 30 minutes off the bench).

Brook may be over-paid, but he is a dominant scorer. He should be a better rebounder against another teams bench.

If the Nets start Pierce and Garnett and sit them after 4/5 minutes…play Brook/Teletovic the last 7/8 minutes of quarters.

Garnett is a stronger rebounder/defender/worse offense than Brook. He is a better starter for a Nets team with a lot of offense and not enough defense and rebounding in its small ball starting line-up.

10. bknowledge - May 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Brook 30
    Deron 33
    Livingston 33
    Anderson 15
    Kirilenko 20
    Teletovic 30

I’d spot start Plumlee in Garnett’s place, and give him random minutes here and there.
    I’d be desparate to trade Deron.

• bknowledge - May 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I forgot about Marcus Thornton…gotta give that guy some minutes. Maybe Pierce retires and Thornton and Plumlee take those minutes…

• bknowledge - May 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I’m digging a hole here

11. naterich21 - May 23, 2014 at 3:32 PM

He’s going for his 20th season! Not many players make it that far. Just recently, Shaq and Kidd retired after 19. But they came out of college so they finished older than Garnett. Kobe also has a deal going into his 20th season so we’ll get 2 players reaching that milestone in the next couple seasons

12. John X - Jun 22, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Paul Pierce should come back too.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches