May 22, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
I can give you 12 million reasons Kevin Garnett will return to the Brooklyn Nets next season.
Okay, it’s more than just that, I imagine the way the season went and with it ending at the hands of LeBron James and the Miami Heat didn’t sit well, he’d like another shot. Watching him try to coach on the sidelines in the playoffs you can tell he still has a passion for the game.
Still, there were some reports he would potentially retire after this season, especially after he struggled in the postseason.
Still, all indications have been — despite the drop in production this season — Garnett will be back in Brooklyn for what would be the 20th season of his stellar NBA career. The fact is $12 million is an awful lot of money – no matter how much you’ve made in the past – and after playing much, much better over the final few months of the season, it would be easy to see Garnett agreeing to rejoin Pierce for one final season in Brooklyn before riding off into the sunset next summer.
So, how do you use KG next year?
He struggled playing the four yearly in the season next to Brook Lopez, shooting 36.4 percent in the team’s first 31 games. But after Lopez went down for the season with an injury and Garnett had to move over to the five in a small-ball lineup, he thrived shooting 55 percent.
Brook Lopez will be back next season, so how does coach Jason Kidd put both of them in position to thrive next year? Kidd has some work to do next season.
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 8
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20